Pirate 4x4 banner

68' K2500 help

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  seh 
#1 ·
New to the site, I have a chance to buy three 68' 2500 4x4. I am looking for some drivetrain info, are the rear axles Dana 60's or are they 14b, what manual tranny was offered and what T-case. It's a bit of a drive to go see them so I am hoping to get as much info as I can before the drive. thanks

#3 ·
D60 in the rear, maybe, but not likely. Ever heard of an H052? D44 closed knuckle with drum brakes in the front. Trans...in a 68 more than likely an SM420 with a rockwell 221 t-case. This info is based on the fact that nothing has been done to the trucks in the last 40+ years

#4 ·
i would think a sm 420 for the trans. god knows what for the t case. maby a 205? probably an eaton rear axle if its stock, maby anything else. remember its an old as heck truck and people have always been swapping stuff on these. for stuff that old usually if your buying it for its body not the drive train. remember that drive train is OLD and in need of refreshing at best and worn/broken at worst.

#5 ·
i agree with gwizz. pretty much plan on buying it for the body and frame only, as the closed knuckle d-44's are fairly un-desirable. so really check the body, especially at the base of the fenders nearest the cab, the body mounts for the cab to the body. dont be afraid to prod it with a scredriver, find the rusted out stuff, if its not a complete waste then repair panels can be had from LMC truck for most areas on that truck. as far as the rest of the drivetrain goes, get familiar with what different trans and transfers look like. if it's a stickshift im thinking it will be equipped with a sm420 and 203 transfer, which is desirable if you plan on doing any kind of doubler setup later, and if not the transfer adapter and input gear are worth some $ by themselves.

#6 ·
Thanks for the pointers, not sure if i'll take the truck unless its in really good shape (I love the 2nd gen body) I'm planing for a 14bff in the rear and a sm465tranny with np205 "t" case. This is going to be a project so all drive train will be stripped and resealed at the very least.

#8 ·
Cab corners, inner and outer rockers, rear window and above the windshield. the entire bed's likely to be rotted, if it's a rust belt truck.

If it's a 68, and manual with stock stuff, it will probably be an SM465 with a Rockwell T221 t-case.

HO72 rear end (nice rear)
D44 front.

One tons bolt in since the springs are the same spacing.

#9 · (Edited)
sm465s never came with a rockwell case behind it.

sm420/rockwell 221 cases were common in 68.

sm465/np205 were new late in the year.

the np203 transfer case did not come into the picture for GM until 1974

axles will be either.... dana 60 with 30 spline shafts in the rear (more likely in GMC trucks) or HO72.

most common gear ratio, 4.10, though mine had 4.56s in it. (it was a 6 cyl truck)

Closed knuckle drum brake front ends, until late in the year when the open knuckle front came out.

early 1968 k20 trucks had greaseable front and rear shackles. the spring mounts look completely different, too.

#10 ·
68 chev 3/4 4x4 is sitting in my driveway right now. It was all stock when I bought it.
307 small block
D44 closed knuckle drum brake front.
Eaton rear
Rockwell 221 transfer case
SM 465 trans
Yes Rockwell transfer cases did come behing the 465. I have 2 of them. The setup that is in the 68 and one out of a 69.

#18 ·
Thru 68 also had wider springs and a flat frame rail where the steering box mounts. Check and decode the vin to see what the cab is, but if it's pieced together the cab and frame may not be from the same year, so check the spring mounts and steering box mount to see 68/earlier or 69/later.

And if you keep the clip and throw bigger axles in it put K20 on the fender, from here it looks like it says C20 which is 2WD.

Have fun, I love playing with my 68 K20 "Dakota Cadillac" Cummins Burb.

#25 ·
There must be a split somewhere in 68 then. I have a 68, 69, & 72. the frame and cab VIN's match on all 3. The 68 is a 3/4 ton the 69 & 72 are 1/2 ton. The area around the steering box is identical on all 3. The width of the front springs are the same on all 3. The 68 and 72 both have the same Rough country 4" lift on them. The only difference was the rear U bolts. One required the round style the other was square.

If you get the 205 adapter I think you can bolt in a 205.

These are just my trucks. GM used quite a few different combinations so verify what you have before buying parts.

#19 · (Edited)
you are correct i remember the guy saying its a 68 chassis with a 69 body

is there a t case that will bolt to this 465 t221 combo, replacing the t221 with say..
a 300 or 205

my t221 is noisy as hell and leaking all over the place

Thanks lowrollin! its pretty straight rig, it has the 5.0 with 2 barrel haha oh well

#20 ·
At least you know what you're working with now. But a word of warning is lifts that fit 69 up won't fit the 68 frame.

DIY4x sells a heavy washer that will take us the extra space so you can run the later, narrow springs if you're looking to lift it any. If not, a 52 swap from them will narrow the mounts for the front or cheaper is to swap the later model stuff on and use bolts instead of stock rivets.

Good luck, and throw some torque under the hood, it only took me 24 ft of tube to mount my Cummins combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.