Pirate 4x4 banner

Front Dana 60 Brake caliper Brackets?

14K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  classicgm 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend a set of caliper brackets for a front Dana 60 to use the 3/4 ton calipers?

#28 ·
The level of some peoples stupidity never ceases to amaze me... Here's food for thought, if you want the same brakes at all 4 corners, lets try putting calipers to match the front on the rear....:shaking:

Your best option is to leave it all alone. If you want 3/4 ton brakes put in a 3/4 ton axle before you mess with a good D60

#4 ·
no you don't. one of the best things about the D60 is how strong the brakes are... Unless it's offroad only and you are concerned about reducing weight.

now if you hit up google and do a search ----> LINKY you might get somewhere...

#5 · (Edited)
Usually the reason cited for doing a 3/4 ton brake swap is to fit 15" wheels. Second often cited reason is weight. I don't think either reason is very valid myself. You WANT the big-ass 1 ton calipers, rotors, and pads when you need to stop the rotating mass of a big-ass tire.

If wheel clearance is the issue, the 1 ton caliper has enough meat to grind or machine down to fit in a 15" wheel. Best bet is to simply use larger wheels. 15's are becoming less and less popular, and 17's seem to the the "popular" size these days, and have the best tire selection.

If weight is the reason, the 3/4 ton setup doesn't save that much in the whole scheme of things. Maybe 10lbs per side, probably less. I'd rather have the stopping power than a few less pounds of unspring weight on an axle assembly that already weighs 500lbs WITHOUT 100+lbs of tire and wheel on each side. If it's that big of a deal, get some 6 piston Wilwood calipers and fab up some brackets to mount them. They may not have quite the piston area of even a 3/4 ton caliper, but they have massive pads, and the proper MC will compensate for the smaller piston area. Plus they don't weigh shit compared to stock iron calipers.

If the reason is just so you have common shit front and rear, then you're a moron. At least the top two reasons have SOME validity. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
No need for name calling.... Obviously I brought the negative Nancy out in someone. I would much rather run the same brakes I already have and be able to walk into any parts store and have an 80% chance that they have what I need. I won't get that with the willwood calipers and the 60 isn't as common when it comes to finding parts.

#7 ·
and first link on my linky

I fergot that some folks like to run 15" wheels on one ton's. oh well....

10 lbs weight savings per side is a lot in my book. sure it aint 100 lbs but just tell me how you gonna do that!

#11 ·
I just threw that out there. I'd be surprised if it is 10lbs per side. Even if it is, so now you went from a 510lb axle assembly to a 490lb axle assembly. Whoopdie-doo. For that meager gain you give up a lot of brake capacity. Not a good trade-off in my book.

No need for name calling.... Obviously I brought the negative Nancy out in someone. I would much rather run the same brakes I already have and be able to walk into any parts store and have an 80% chance that they have what I need. I won't get that with the willwood calipers and the 60 isn't as common when it comes to finding parts.
Where do you live? Podunk, Alaska? I walked into a local auto parts store that carries Bendix products and they had R&L reman calipers and every grade of Bendix pad for GM/Dodge 60's in stock. Just for giggles I just checked my local NAPA store online to see what parts they had in stock. They had both calipers ($28 each), standard and ultra-premium pads in stock, and rotors in stock. One ton stuff may not be as common, but it's not exactly difficult to get.

#13 ·
Anyways now that the Internet tough guys got in what they wanted to say, does anyone have any input that is useful or pertains to my original question?

For those who missed it I am just looking for recommendations on which brackets people have used and how their experience with said bracket was.

#14 ·
If I wasn't running 6 lug hubs, I would be listening to MaxPF on this one. You are literally spending money to down-grade you truck.

I forget whose I bought back in 03-04, but the holes for the caliper are off just enough to cause caliper to not bolt on without me getting all custom. They are also just flat steel and needed to bent a little to adjust the distance between it and the rotor.

If you are dead set on doing this (stubborn), use the 3/4 ton version of the caliper for sure, not the smaller diameter 1/2 ton caliper.

#18 ·
I always like to read threads where people want to take a part that works well, and then fabricate shit onto it that will make it perform in a negative manner...

nothing like taking the performance out of performance parts...

#25 ·
These guys have exactly what the OP wants. I have a set on my bench right now for a customers build. Very nice quality, although I feel like the price is a bit steep for what they are. About the only folks that make them, so you have to pay what they want.

You guys are haters:stirthepot:. OP actually had a decent none retard question. He would have had a tough time finding them even if he searched. I about gave up on them myself, and I have my own spoon to feed myself with!

#26 ·
I got the set from Blackbird customs, nice brackets. Fit very well with no problems. Just a little more expensive then I wanted to pay but I was running 15' also. I don't know if how much difference the braking will be, but I didn't research much on the offset when I welded up my DIY beadlocks. SO I'm stuck with 15's till I buy new wheels.:homer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.