Pirate 4x4 banner

1972 K5 Blazer - Mall Crawler

41K views 64 replies 28 participants last post by  Senorx 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted a while ago in the newb section with some questions. I got some feed back and have been collecting parts. The plan is for a daily driver that is a capable off road truck. It will keep all the body panels. I hope I can provide some tech thats worth somthing to someone... other wise I'll just try an be a picture whore for eveyone....

1972 K5 Blazer CST
How I got it with the crappy black paint and all...

Here it is before I put the top back on for the winter...

Since the last pic I installed some late model Silverado seats and have been daily driving it to work... probably 8 MPG downhill in neutral...

PARTS I HAVE :

2005 LQ9 w/ less then 50k miles
4L80e w/ unknown mileage (2004 or 2005)
Winters Sidewinder shifter for 4L80e
NP205 w/ short 32 spline input from the elusive 1991 crew cab Chevy
Dana 60 w/ open 4.10s and Custom Brakes
NWF crossover steering
AAM 14 BFF w/ disc brakes and integral e-brake.
DIY4X rear shackle flip
Hydroboost from 2005 GMC 2500hd and a Custom Firewall Mount
Set of H2 wheels and half bald tires

PARTS I NEED:
LQ9/4L80e harness (didn't get afactory harness so probably use Howell EFI)
Engine mount and crossmember (I'll try figuring out my own but Pacific Fab is my back up plan)
4L80e to NP205 adapter Trail Tech Fab
Fuel system upgrade (external pump for now, new tank later)
NWF cable shifter (I'll have some sort of console so factory shifters gotta go)
.. and lots of crap I didn't think of yet..

See less See more
#2 ·
Newest piece of the puzzle is the LQ9...

Here's the 4L80e (help to ID the tag is appreciated)

Here's the NP205 from the 1991 crew cab w/ factory 4L80e ... notice the sensor on the output housing...

#3 ·
DIY4X parts ...

My shackle flip is flipping you off ...:flipoff2:

I replaced the worn rubber bushing with poly and added 1" ORD aluminum pucks ...

The body mount in the passenger floorboard had the bolt head tack welded to the floor. It ripped when I removed it. I found these washers in the junk yard and were a perfect fix. They are from the front subframe from FWD cars like Impala and Brand Prix....

#4 ·
The brakes on the front D60 is a project I'm working on. They are huge 14" rotors and twin piston callipers that use slip on rotors. You can follow the project from the link in the first post... they are :grinpimp:...

Here is my $200 CL score :smokin: ....

#7 ·
Scored an AC Delco fuel pump assembly from ebay... $75. Now I want a custom tank to put it in... GM# 19167467 or FG0340

Pulled the old 4" steering lift block off my D60 and found one poorly helicoiled hole as I was attempting to install the NW Fab springless cap....

Decided to pull the knuckles off and try and clean the mud out of the axle tubes and check seals / bearings ... found a wear mark by the lower king pin...

Orderd new lower KPs from KICKASSOFFROAD ....

Ordered spindle bushings from Longfield ....

#8 ·
For the D60, all the brackets were cut off the front axle... I was thinking about reloacting the shocks to the top with some D60 specific tabs that weld to the axle tune and the inner C.... probably from DIY4x...

As far as I can tell the PO put s set of 4" lift springs on the front. Unknown brand. I was concidering 52's up front but this rig needs to handle daily driving and road trips and I was told to keep the stock length up front for better road manners...

I was concidering Bilstein 5150s front and rear... but some people on here said find a different shock; they're too soft... I was trying to keep it under $100 per shock... I'm open to recomendations...

#9 ·
I was debating the same thing with shocks. After talking to the #1 Bilstein distributor in Canada I decided on the 5125 shocks. He said they have had breakage and unsatisfied costomers with the 5150's. I just got my rear 5125's in and they look sweet and were $100 each and I am in Canada, so it should be a bit cheaper for you:flipoff2:

#14 ·
So what if I decide to splurge on shocks first... and go with some FOX 2.0 w/ 10" travel and reservoir ... I THINK I can I change out to URETHANE BUSHING mounts??? HERE

I'll probably stick with stock length springs for now.. I need to choose my battles as far as money goes.. which means FOX on front and Cheap-O's out back since the FOXs are double the cost of what I originally wanted to spend...

#16 ·
Not much to update. more planning and research then actual work accomplished....

Picked up a reman 2wd box and some -6 AN fittings to complete the hydroboost loop.

Installed the PSC pwer steering reservoir with -10AN fitting that I got from Polyperformance.

Working on some heat extractor hood vents, made some templates and dropped them off with the waterjet guy. The damn thing overheated in the 106* Vegas heas and vapor locked on me twice...

Looking at Derale 13751 plate style trans cooler.... I will totally bypass the the trans cooler in the radiator... probably because the Norhtern radiator wont have one....

Found a local shop to build me a harness. (MoTech that does the LS Jeep conversions )

Will probably use a Vaporworx fuel pump ring to build a custom tank with..

#17 ·
I did buy a bunch of Made in the USA -6AN to 3/8" compression fittings off eBay. They look great. They fit the factory fuel line on the intake manifold, they fit the 3/8" fuel line I picked up from the local parts store AND they fit the factory 4L80e transmission cooler lines....

I also (almost) decided to go with a Vaporworx stanless billet machined fuel pump ring to mount my new OEM pump. If I go stainless I can save the $85 for coating the inside of the tank and the $$ I was going to spend to have the outside covered in Line-X

I also went out in the garage and arranged the drivetrain. The custom 4L80e to NP205 adapter isn't shown and the front D60 is disassembled and will be cleaned....

#18 ·
Built some hood vents.... they'll get some screen underneath and powdercoat before being bolted to the hood...

Also test fit the 2010 Camaro manifold... Camaro on the left, Sierra on the right...

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
Looks awesome Man! keep the updates comin. Something unique for sure, Nice Work!

#23 ·

So I pulled the front clip this weekend... Also pulled the bulkhead harness out to clean it up and sort out whats there. I want to run some relays for the headlghts.

I pulled the old motor/trans/xfer. Pulled both crossmemebers and wire wheeled the frame where the new engine mounts will go. I aso cuts rivets for the bumpstops and removed them, pulled the brake and fuel lines, cut off all the bracketst the PO welded to the frame for exhaust.... I now have a clean slate to work with.... here are some pics....

out with the old... (my buddy Russ guiding it)

ready for the new(er) ...

After these pics I removed the gas pedal, cleaned the 5lbs of crap out of the fresh air vent at the footwell, trimmed the steering column bracket to clear the Hydroboost bracket and removed the e-brake cable. I will be running a hand e-brake lever in the center console I'm building....

just hanging in place ....

#27 · (Edited)
No AC... I run with the top off most of the summer and the gaskets for the top and windows are shot anyway, so I would be trying to cool the world at the same time. Plus no insulation on the floor....

What's the firewall bracket?
It's a mount for the hydroboost, specifically for the 67/72 trucks. It also works with 88-97 GM truck vacuum boosters. One of the guys on the 67-72 board makes them. I just had it powder coated and I need to go pick it up...

#25 ·
DIY4x flip kit test fit ...

Swapped out the splined end on the steering shaft to match the 2WD steering box.

Started to clean up the core support and test mount the trans cooler.

Dropped off my fenders to be media blasted and the CaptainFab firewall bracket to be powdercoated. I did receive my FlexKore hoses for the rest of the brake system...

Measured out for my fuel tank, should end up being about 35 gallons, maybe a little more... it extends above the rear axle to gain those few etra gallons... I sent the drawing (below) to the waterjet guy. I already had a 48x102" sheet of stainless steel that I was going to use for Chevelle.

Started the motor mounts for the LQ9 ...

Drive side fabrication ....

Passenger side in place waiting to be tacked..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.