Pirate 4x4 banner

aftermarket Duramax Oil Pump

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  HotRodTractor 
#1 ·
hey guys, im not big on these Duramax diesels so bear with me. we recently built an oil pump for the turbo on a Duramax Tractor puller, now the guy likes it so much, that he wants us to build him a regular dry sump for the motor, we dont know a lot about it, but we need to know a few things.
1. how many gallons per minuet would we need to have
2. how much pressure are the factory oil pumps using, mainly the idle and running PSI. thats all we can think of for the moment. thanks

#5 ·
MINUET

1 A slow, stately pattern dance in 3/4 time for groups of couples, originating in 17th-century France.
2 The music for or in the rhythm of the minuet.
3 A movement in 3/4 time that is usually the third, but sometimes the second, of a four-movement symphony or string quartet.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/minuet#ixzz1lfVpuX2D

#7 · (Edited)
how many psi (pounds per square inch) of oil pressure?

stupid question, right? 10 psi per 100 rpm for a gasser....

so... duramax at 4800 rpm has need of 48psi

so... how many quarts of oil does a duramax run? 10 quarts.

10 quarts at 48 psi...

my suggestion would be to double the oil supply in a storage tank, so you would need a 5 gallon reservoir, then add in the volume of the lines, and add that to the reservoir so you can account for the volume... but not in oil, in space... start with 5 gallons, add line volume to come up with it... in other words, since you have 2.5 gallons of oil in a stock sump, if you double it, you clear the safety factor. if you add into the 5 gallons the volume of your oil sump lines and add that to your 5 gallon size requirement, you have a safety margin.

it might end up being a 6 gallon reservoir.

make sense?

#8 ·
stupid question, right?
Not as stupid as the guy who wants him to build one, since he seems to know nothing about it. I'm going to get my dentist to build me a doubler for me, and my accountant to work on my teeth.

#10 ·
• Oil Pressure – Minimum– Hot – at idle .....48 KPa.....7 psi

• Oil Pressure – Minimum – Hot – 1800 RPM .....193 KPa.....28 psi

• Oil Relief Valve Opening Pressure .....441 KPa.....64 psi

#17 ·
What exactly are you guys building oil pumps out of?

There are plenty of very well engineered dry sump pumps on the market. Why don't you build him the brackets to mount one of those? Being a diesel puller, he is probably a brain dead ex rice-rodder. He's probably never seen a dry sump setup, and that is why he's asking you to build something. Do yourself a favor and build him some brackets to mount a good pump. Then charge him double for everything. He won't care, because it's probably a write off for his parents farm anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.