Pirate 4x4 banner

Newb 85 crew cab build

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  slytowncrawler 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been looking around here for a while and building my truck for about the last two years.I have been married for 4 years and i have a 3 year old little girl an one on the way. My 3 year old loves to ride around with me in the truck. I am not much on rocks being from south GA so this is just something fun for my family and i to do. But on the other hand i want it to be able to get the job done out at our local river trail. It is not anything spectacular just some mud holes,a few hills and the slickest red clay you have ever seen. I picked up a running k10 for a local guy for $700 and drove it home. I also picked up a 85 3+3 crew cab 2wd it wasn't running so guy let me have it for $500. This is all i have done so far. If you guys she anything that i need to change are improve let me know. Thanks

84 k10

bed removal

getting ready to remove cab

removed i am sure my neighbors love me

Installed a 6 inch lift that was given to me by the guy that i bought crew cab from and some 34" swampers

After doing a little measuring i decided to run a larger tire i was going to need to stretch frame so added in 10" to center of frame

See less See more
#4 ·
Added a winch

front bumper

rear bumper

This is how it was setting up until about two weeks ago i decided that 1/2 ton axles was not really what i wanted so i sold the tires removed the bed and stated swapping in a Dana 60 and 14 bolt with Detroit locker an 4.56 gears. I also plan to get this thing painted one color,add a fuel cell,KC lights,roof rack and some other things I realize the picture's do not really show all the work i did so i will try to take more and show more step by step of my project .

#5 ·
have any pics on how you stretched the frame??

plan on doing anything different with the fron't springs i know those 6inch springs probably feel like you driving a tank and can feel spoon in the road... 52's make the ride much better and flex a damn sight better too
looks good tho what's the plans for a bed in the future u said you took the bed off??

#6 · (Edited)
No sorry do not have any good pics of the frame stretch. I can tell you i added a insert in the frame which i welded and also bolted on both sides it also has a outer plate same size as frame that i welded in so it should be fine not the first frame strecth i have done.I have been thinking about changing the lift on the front can you exlain more about these 52's and what i will need to do to maintain the height i have now? I removed the bed to install the 14 bolt and also prep the cab for paint.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
I have been thinking about changing the lift on the front can you exlain more about these 52's and what i will need to do to maintain the height i have now? I removed the bed to install the 14 bolt and also prep the cab for paint.
the 52's are what you have in the rear if i were you i would get some 63s out of the rear of a 88-98 and take you rears put them up front diy4x has some awesome hangers for the 52s then its just a matter of drilling new holes for the shackle further back...

as for you lift it really depends on how many leafs you have in it. i have about 4 inches of lift with mine and mine are just about flat if i added another 2 leafs would probably be about 6 maybe more you have to play with you springs a little

#15 ·
Quick ? Called guy today about going to pick up my Dana 60 out of a military truck same place I got the 14 bolt and he says he has two of them one with a locker and other is open. Does anyone have any info on the locker in the front of these military Chevys is this something I want are is it factory junk?

#23 · (Edited)
oh man that don't sound good maybe I will be lucky .but if it breaks it will be a good excuse to build new frame and 4 link it:flipoff2:. I just installed ord crossover steering and did a disc brake conversion on my 14 bolt. I am thinking about doing ord shackle flip next and getting rid of my 2inch blocks. Do you have to modify driveshaft do to more flexible rear suspension afterwards?

#24 ·
All kinds of different variables will decide wether u need a new shaft or not. But if you keep it the same height, you could always put a limit strap in middle to keep suspension from unloading. This way you can still be able to flex out on the ends with out changing driveshafts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.