Pirate 4x4 banner

2 bolt to 4 bolt

4K views 73 replies 12 participants last post by  the_experience3006 
#1 ·
Hello Chevy guys I have a few small block questions. I would like to build up my tbi 350 in my daily driver but I also have a 4 bolt main 350 with 100,000 kms on it. The 4 bolt main has a edelbrock intake, 550cfm edelbrock carb, comp cam and some head work. I was just wondering what parts could be used in my Daily driver? Could you recommend bolt on's for my tbi. Or would it be easier to just swap in the whole engine and throw on a different intake manifold and throttle body. Also my truck is converted to propane. Thanks for any help or advice. Now flame away :)

#3 ·
Is your 4-Bolt main an older style 350 with a 2-piece rear? If it is, it's not really going to operate properly, with a computer controlled system, plus your TBI intake is not an automatic bolt on, you will come across issues. If you plan to do a daily 350 TBI, your best bet is to stick to a 87-95 TBI blocks, one piece rear, you need to use TBI swirl port style cylinder heads, stock TBI cam or after market equivalent, everything will function properly with your computer, without having to burn a new chip,etc.

#7 ·
this make no sence, the TBI dont care if the motor is one piece or 2 piece rear seal, or if it is 4 bolt main or 2 bolt... you can run the eldebrock intake , just buy the adapter from the square flange holley pattern to the TBI.

if it is a older TBI intake you have it will bolt directly onto the heads. what you run into is the center bolt holes on the intake on the later model are at a different angle on the heads. if your intake is for the different angle all you have to do is notch the center bolt holes on the intake where they are oval instead of round..

on the 2/4 bolt main deal. you can built a 2 bolt to handle more than 400 HP with no problems , i ran a 68 camaro with stock 2 bolt main block it ran mid 10s threw the 1/4 mile ever pass with no problems. it did have some compression(12.5 to 1) and a healthy solid roller.

#5 ·
small block ford is what you need.

bolt on for the tbi? headers/do a full mandrel exhaust, maby a k&n or even a throttle spacer if thats your thing. there really isnt that much else. if you really want to throw money at something obsolete. http://www.cfm-tech.com/index.htm

for your old motor the P-P ane one. i dunno honestly if i were you i would refresh that propane motor, maby bump its compression with some new dome pistons cause i really doubt it started its life as a propane motor. do a re ring, check the mains, keep everything else the same, and just change/fix what ever else you find wrong with it when you go through it. and the carb sounds small but i really dont know shit about those cause im into diesels.

#9 ·
Only 2 questions, 1 is cam choice. If it is the right one to go with an off road truck and the compression. Also are the valve seats hardened. If not you might get some valve seat recession pretty quickly with propane. I use to build a ton of propane 350s and we always put in hard seats. Without them the exhaust valves sank.
Bob

#11 ·
i personaly would go with propane, i am getting all my stuff together to do a 5.3 swap into my buggy and i am going to buy the Edelbrock carb intake with the MSD box to run the coil packs, i am putting propane on it instead of messing with the fuel injection. alot easier to set up than messing with all them dang wires and a computer.

i have propane on the 22r (toyota 4 banger) in my buggy now and love it so far.

#15 ·
ok , so what am i wrong about besides the cc on the TBI heads? you was right on that. sorry oh great one i was wrong about that i am man enough to admit that. on the castings, they are shit. one give away is where the short bolts go , look at a set of the heads , they dip in and out around the bolts, this is one of the main reasons they crack\warp there is less material in them than the older castings the older casting are pretty much straight across on the bottom of the head like the 882s there for they give a better pinch on the head gasket with material all the way across... anyway, you are right i dont know anything about chevy motors, i just like to talk.

#17 · (Edited)
I gotta kick out of this comment myself.

the induction doesnt know what lower end it has on it. it only responds to the pull on the air.

one piece rear main, two piece rear main.... doesnt matter.

edit:

I also got a kick outta the comment that "375 hp is easy to get on gas fuel with Vortec or after market heads,9.5 compression,600 cfm carb ,headers and a moderate cam that'll idle good enough for a daily driver. " With aftermarket heads, i might believe it. with large tube headers, i might believe it. a moderate cam? I doubt that you will see 375hp even with large tube headers and aftermarket heads if you choke it down with a 600 cfm carb.

Most guys will run a 1 1/2" tube primary header, a set of cheaptastic aftermarket heads, an edelbrock 600, a cam with 230* duration at .050, complain about the idle, brag about the power, and wonder why it runs like a dog, and it was their fault, because they didnt get the right parts for the combination... and then blame one of the manufacturers that sold them the parts they asked for when it was entirely their own fault.

as far as factory cylinder head offerings, I gave up on trying to remember what all the numbers meant years ago after getting a set of Vortec heads and putting a 96 vortec motor in my 87 with a carb. probably the best stock offering for a small block chevy that ever came down the pike. lots of torque, enough horsepower, does everything i wanted.

now, if you want parts, there are parts out there... just be realistic about your combination.

#19 · (Edited)
I gotta kick out of this comment myself.

the induction doesnt know what lower end it has on it. it only responds to the pull on the air.

one piece rear main, two piece rear main.... doesnt matter.
Gotta disagree with you on this one. The TBI expects certain things, and if it doesn't get what it expects, the fueling and timing is going to be fucked. It'll run, but it won't be right without a custom program. There is a lot more to the program, than manifold vacuume. The seal doesn't matter, but if you look at the whole statement, he was basically talking about the entire block. CR comes to mind as being the first stumbling block. Cam is also another issue. Need a wide LSA for the TBI. Lots of issues, none that can't be overcome with some tuning time and the right equipment, but as a bolt-on deal, it will run poorly.

TXChevy overly complicated what he was saying, but once you dissect what he said, it is dead on.

#20 ·
why would you have to reprogram cause of the older/newer block?

answer me that?

arguing over the computer is fucking stupid, if you know so much teach me . tell me why he would have to reprogram? by changing over to a older block. the TBI or the computer doesnt know if it is a older/newer block. WHY REPROGRAM? now if he is jumping the compression up and a lot bigger cam shit like that yes. but stock to stock why would he need to reprogram? i am asking so tell me what i am missing.

#22 ·
Because stock to stock, is not the same fucking thing. As you pointed out, you have compression ratio, and cam, which are the largest stumbling blocks. Do you have any fucking clue how narrow the parameters the TBI can adjust to are? Throw headers on a stock TBI engine, and it will need more fuel. Change cam timing significantly, and the entire idle curve will have to be re-mapped. What heads are going to be used? Can't just bolt on the 193's, without either swapping the pistons. You are looking at close to 10:1 if you do that. Can't use the old heads, without adjusting the timing curve, because the 193's use significantly less advance than the older offerings.

You are so goddamn sure that it is simple, because you simply don't know. You are making assumptions. I'm not.

#21 ·
wait...

early gm cylinder head offerings were better in flow than the swirl port heads... right?

and the Vortec head was the best flowing sbc cylinder head GM used in production trucks, right?

so.... answer me this... why does this exist?

Attachments

#29 ·
On propane, yes. In that case, I wouldn't limit myself with the GMPP intake tho. Victor JR all the way

#28 ·
currently, Im going back to a small block in a 68 chevy for a daily driver... Ihave a 99 vortec for the time being getting a 750 demon carb and distributor with a set of 1 3/4 tube headers (yes, they do exist, hedman p/n 69088), and I only expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 hp.

as for reasonably priced aftermarket heads, you can find a set of ported small block heads for 1600 bucks if you look. not garbage heads, but heads done by a well respected cylinder head guy. Heads that are capable of 500 hp and will bolt on.

#36 · (Edited)
Man theres alot of shit flying in here......My stroker with Dart Pro 1's, dual plane holley, and single 450 mixer sure does make some power......Im not gonna bullshit you and say 700hp but id say close to 450 atleast. I know yall are gonna talk shit but whatever suck a dick. Those of you who have seen it run will know.

Seems every other thread Dayhole or Dickinmyhole or whatever his name is, is always a :mr-t:

#38 · (Edited)
Oh, we all believe you. I mean, everybody knows that 450 CFM will support 450 HP.

Anyways, thanks for jumping in with absolutely nothing to add.
I'm sorry to see that you are still holding those homosexual fantasies tho.
Really, I'm totally straight, and you will never get my dick in your hole.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't make fun of you. It must be a real burden, being so fixated on something that will never happen.

#39 ·
Say what you want DickHole. You will only talk shit sitting behind your fucking ancient IBM. Id tell you to go suck a dick but your ole lady does a pretty good job. Hope to meet you on the trail one day. You will stick out walking funny with a sore ass, and im gonna walk up to you and knock you the fuck out. :flipoff2:

#40 ·
it works pretty damn good on his ... i have seen it in person and it performs damn good...

what do you do for a living Dohoyle? what makes you the master pirate tech guy that you think you are?

cause looking at your other replies on threads you never offer anything usefull just talking shit and babbling about how much you think you know and how no one but you can spell?

and saying everyone on here just talks about gay shit, but you are the first to talk about cockholster and shit like that, are you a closet bitch and come on here to try and act like a man? do you take it up the ass and just need your BF to turn around and let you pound him one time? just questions.

#48 · (Edited)
Well, If I was obligated to respond, and I'm not, I'd have to say that you couldn't have possibly guessed worse. For the record, I just corrected damn near everything you posted in this thread, with irrefutable fact.

It's simple, really. When you want to be taken seriously, you make sure your facts are right, before you throw them out for the whole world. Then, make sure that you can present them to the world, in an educated, intelligent manner.

What I don't do is come on here with boasting, outright lying and embellishing the truth. I don't come on here and say I can get 450HP out of a 450 CFM rig. I don't have to refute it, because it refutes itself. Call it a lie, embellishment, exaggeration, or whatever you like. The important thing is that it isn't a fact, and stating it as such, either implies that you are either exaggerating or lying. In this case, I'm pretty sure it's both. It's an exaggeration, because it's what he would like to believe, and it's a fucking lie, because it's stated as fact, with nothing to back it up.

As to what I do, if it's any of your concern, I am a Geotechnical construction Superintendent. All that should mean to you is that I am competent in a broad range of specialties, not the least of which is designing and building equipment specific to various jobs, and employing that equipment in a manner which is both effective and profitable. That means I design or modify equipment and techniques, to a specific set of considerations, and modify one or both as needed to meet a particular goal.
Equipment is equipment. I know engines, powertrains, hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical systems, from an automotive charging system, up to 200KW systems.

I am formally educated in electronic engineering, and emergency medicine, as well as various communications systems.

As to when or where I choose to utilize an insult, and the type of insult I choose to use, come on now. I always go with facts and details first. I do sometimes succumb to my old ways(20 years in the Army will tend to color your language a bit). The fact remains, I seldom lead out with it, but have absolutely no problem retaliating. The point you should take from this, is that it isn't the only weapon in my arsenal, and I much prefer to allow an idiot to prove himself an idiot. It's so much entertaining, when one demeans himself. My preferred weapons are simple facts.

As to what I offer, well, that is subjective. Sometimes I offer information, and sometimes I simply refute bullshit. If I feel an overwhelming need to assist someone, I will generally try to arm them with the means to find an answer, rather than just hand out an answer.

You see, without bragging, or boasting, I can say that my tech savy is sufficient to make me a healthy income, provide me with an ever changing set of challenges, and earns me the respect of those who require my services. The reason is that I get things done. My arguably abrasive personality, well, hell. What can I say. I'm an ass. Get over it.

Oh, and in my previous life...

If none of that impresses you, well, goddamn, It wasn't meant to. You asked, and I answered, with facts, as is my habit.

#49 ·
wheres the applause button? damned smileys are inadequate....

I get a kick out of a lot of the hotshot kids that know they have sooooo much horsepower, when in fact its gear reduction and torque that is impressing them.

I dont know anything.... i have 2 horsepower, and one is sick...

dahoyle.... for the record... I hate playing with steam. Steam sucks, burns yer hands, and makes for a bad day... ever try to diagnose a steam heater that hasnt worked in 15 years? how about 3 floors on the same line?

I dont want your challenges... troubleshooting steam sucks bad enough.

makes me want to be rewiring 208 volt water pumps while standing in a puddle of salt water with the power on. tricky, but possible.

#50 ·
Nah, I don't do steam. And what the hell is a heater. I spend all my time outside.
Oh, I'm in Moab this week, working, and haven't had a single fucking minute to play:mad3: May have to stay a couple of extra days and see if I can tear up my truck.

#51 · (Edited)
bunch of goddam sandy vaginas on pbb...
you cant handle the fact that dahoyle told you YOU were wrong? everyone has their own style of teaching, or getting information across.
if you cant handle the information you were given, in the form it was given, ignore it or gtfo and quit being a little bitch...

yall think youre entitled to all this information. if you searched for it, then yes of course you deserve every bit.
but when you start a goddam new thread in hopes of someone spoon feeding you something that, somewhere someone has talked about it before.
take what youre given. even if all you got out of it was how not to do it....

EDIT: this wasn't necessarily directed to the OP, but to anyone that that clutters forums with BS threads and then gets butthurt because its already been talked about

myself included

#52 ·
bunch of goddam sandy vaginas on pbb...
you cant handle the fact that dahoyle told you YOU were wrong? everyone has their own style of teaching, or getting information across.
if you cant handle the information you were given, in the form it was given, ignore it or gtfo and quit being a little bitch...

yall think youre entitled to all this information. if you searched for it, then yes of course you deserve every bit.
but when you start a goddam new thread in hopes of someone spoon feeding you something that, somewhere someone has talked about it before.
take what youre given. even if all you got out of it was how not to do it....
:lmao::lmao::bounce2::bounce2::lmao::D:flipoff2:

#55 ·
well i will say this Dahoyle thank you for serving for everyones freedom!

Grumpy, if you are talking about me not having the HP , the last race car put down 1069 HP on motor no nitrous... it had nitrous later on down the road on the plate system it had a 250 shot.. so yea , i know what hp feels like.

and on my 4 runner i am running a 3.0 in it so it has all the power(JOKE) it runs on about 3 holes it feels like , i just make up hp with gearing...

#57 ·
Ok, Corey, lets talk hp...

tell me more about the motor, i am intrigued. Im always trying to learn how to make more power, gotta try to get my 555 together one of these days, 850 hp is my goal..

as for running on 5 and pushing one, ive been there for a long time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.