Pirate 4x4 banner

1998 body to 1986 chassis

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  sick_sahara_yj 
#1 ·
has anyone ever done this and does anyone make the frame brackets to do this swap?

#2 ·
Yeah there are some pimptastic frame brackets.. A company called hellenwate makes them.. You should go to hellenwate to get them.

I afraid to ask but whats wrong with the newer improved frame

#16 · (Edited)
OP i got a little story for you.. my grandfather would call one of my moms sisters worthless hippy boyfriends ratchet....... keep saying ratchet over and over saying it slower each time, pausing at each syllable.....you'll get it.

to the rest of you, that's just plain mean. i like it :D

youre gonna have to fab frame brackets. not hard, just take measurements and make it happen. the crowd in here is kinda do it yourself if you havent caught on already...

#17 ·
i have put many of those body styles on older frame. Depending on what you are trying to acheive, the newer frames arent always a good choice.

I can tell you that they look good, but your mounts need to be strong and the older frames like to \ / when the mounts are made high and not reinforced.

The cab and frame mounts are wider than that of the older frames and the bends in the frame arent real close.

You do need some fabrication skills though. I dont know anyone that makes a kit, because it isnt that popular of a swap and most companies find it easier to just install straight axles into the newer frames.

Questions: are you planning on running the vortec motor? or are you using the older motor? are you using a fuel cell? the newer tanks are inside the frame, the older doesnt have the same amount of room.

I have done many swaps using the newer motors and bodies onto older frames. makes for nice lifted trucks. here is a pic of my current mud truck. per class rules it has all chevy factory parts, just mismatched years.

we built if from parts out of my field in 3 weeks after work. using the fender well headers i built made the body mounts interesting, but they work.

take your time, measure twice, then measure twice more and when you are about ready to cut, recheck your measurements and hopefully you have another vehicle to drive while you build it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.