Pirate 4x4 banner

is it worth it to go to 63"s on a tow rig?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mudslinger021485 
#1 ·
I know the benefits of of using a 63" chevy spring in replacement of 52". But it's always been for articulation purposes. My truck is now my tow rig/truck pulling truck. I guess what my real question is, would if be worth my while to swap in my 3/4 ton 63" springs in place of my 1/2 ton 52"s or should I just add leaf springs to the pack I already have on the truck to gain more load cap.?

I posted this in the Newb section, but got nothing out of it.

#3 ·
64's have alot more axle wrap when under a load, so then your adding an anti-wrap bar to the equation. personally i would look into an airbag system, they are way more adaptable.

#5 · (Edited)
they all come stock on vehicles that tow... so to answer your question, yes???

i dunno its not worth the work in my opinion tho. and an air bag system would be better/more versatile.

for the truck pulling you probably want to lock out your suspension. could try some removable blocks that that attach where your bumpstops are or something.

#6 ·
Thanks for you help guys (and especially for the lack of flame). I've been looking for something like that website (all I've found was front 47" spring rates).

The local truck pull doesn't allow any sort of "blocked" or "fixed" suspension. I thought about the Air Bags, they don't allow them either, but I'm guessing I can take the air valve out and run them.

Looks like I'll just make my own spring pack and hope for the best.

#10 · (Edited)
the 4500 lb springs on my dually have no blocks, no lift at all, and show plenty of signs of axle wrap... I need to replace them.

edit:
I should probably add that they are the original springs, and that the truck was used as a car hauler tow vehicle with a 4 car trailer behind it, grossly overloaded and never treated very nicely.

I myself put 12,500 lbs of sandbags on it last summer in one of my chores... I probably shouldnt do that very often.

#12 ·
i just went through this same thing with my 86 K20, i have 56"s 7+1 2450lbs OEM plus a skyjacker long add a leaf, and they sag way easier then my dad 52"s 7+1 pack. i tow a 8000lbs trailer and beat down loggin roads with mine. its road really nice but sagged easy. i got with Right Way spring here in Tacoma, Wa and they set me up with a custom pack, that was way cheaper than buying the 3500lbs packs or reworking the OEM. we took a new set of 2600lbs and upgraded 1 of the upper leafs and now they are a 2900lbs packs. still rides great and dont sag with that trailer on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.