Pirate 4x4 banner

4.3 vortec prob

793 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  working-on-it 
#1 ·
Ok guys i have a problem i need some help with i have a 99 4.3 vortec v6 out of a astro van in my jeep yj, it has a howell injection computer and harness has all bull crap it dont need taken off and outa computer, when i org got it going i had to small of a fuel pump on it only putting out about 45 psi or so and was hard to start but ran great one running, so i buy a bigger fuel pump that puts out 45 to 65psi and it starts great but does not want to run if you stomp throttle just coughs and dies or backfires out the intake and exhaust.
It has all new injectors and popets new regulator ive swapped out mass air flow sensor for another i had and no change new cap and rotor bug from gm,
when i started it had a missfire code so i swapped out cap and rotor and its gone now but i cant get the other problem to go away, checked fuel pressure and its at about 58 when you turn key and drops to about 55ish when running and you can slowly rev and it will go till it hits limiter but if you punch it she falls and dies or sputters and when you let off it idles fine.
it is kinda hard to start and cranks for a few seconds longer then it should, so should i swap to a bigger fuel pump or go at it another direction?
dang things kicking my butt and im about ready to junk it.
If i swap out fuel pump im looking at a pump that puts out 110-120 psi by airtex i dowbt it will get that high being a cheaper pump but will it hurt to have that much pressure or will the regulator just bypass extra fuel and be fine? Just dont wanna blow my reg off the spider by sending to much psi to it.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Adam

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm having this same problem with mine I have a 97 vortec that's not fully built yet I do know the vortec needs 65 psi to run I just put in a airtex E2000 the specs on it said the lowest psi would be enough mine might be vacuume or something I'm waiting on my computer to get back from being programmed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.