Pirate 4x4 banner

350 tbi/trans problems

579 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  thirdstreettito 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 96 GMC Z71 and took it to the shop to try to get this problem figured out and they said they didnt know what it was. Its not the original engine and is supposedly a mid 80's, bored .60, flat tops, mild cam, headers and dual exhaust. Other than that, (if thats even true) I dont know anything.

I recently did a tune-up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and timing. The truck runs awesome most of the time. 2-3 times a day when I start it up, it holds between 1000-1500 rpms and falls flat on on its face when you give it any kind of throttle. Also, if you put it in gear, it goes in HARD, doesnt shift until high rpms and shifts HARD, and slips. When it did this the first time, I check the trans fluid and there wasnt anything showing on the dipstick. When I drove home it was fine again so I checked it again when I got home and it was full. I have done this a couple times to see if it was just a one time thing and it wasnt.

I found out if I start it up and if its fallin on its face, let it run for a couple minutes, shut it off and let it sit for a minute before starting it up again. Usually that will fix it and it runs perfect again.

Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
TBI in a 96? Sounds like a battery or cable issue is a good possibility. My wifes 99 tahoe had a bad cable, she had it jumped and the idle was over 1000. She was not dumb enough to put it in gear so dont know if it would have shifted like yours.

My 98 service truck did the exact same thing the other day when i left my lights on. Jumped it, high idle but let it charge, shut it down and restarted with it cahrged and idle issue was gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.