Pirate 4x4 banner

power steering issue

791 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  muddigger21 
#1 ·
did some searching but couldnt figure out exactly what i was looking for so looking to fellow wheelers to see if i can figure out something.

problem is when i hit higher rpms ( about 5500, 6000) i lose all power steering for a few minutes. basically ive found out i have to push in the clutch and rev it back up and turn the wheel a few times and it will come back. happened to me twice now in the last 2 weeks. its all stock power steering in a 91 burban. the pump itself is only about a month or two old. checked the fluid level and everything seems fine. a friend of mine says there is a pressure release valve inside and maybe that is wiggin out. and like i said its only when i hit higher rpms and so far no problem when i get it in a bind or anything..

any suggestions?

#3 ·
well the first time i was passing some jackhole doing 30 in a 55 and as soon as i got passed him grabbed the next gear and it lost power steering... second time was yesterday and seen some friends walking down the road and instead of waving pushed in the clutch and flatfooted it for a second.. both times it was only for a split second. not like im holding it at 6 grand for an hour.
and thought about a smaller pulley. havent looked into what would fit exactly yet

#6 ·
:homer:ya i think you are correct.. my bad. :homer:
fify

you never gave a very good description of your suburban
year-
engine-

some of us are bored as fawk and will actually do a little searching for you :flipoff2:

#7 ·
you said the pump is only a month or two old. did the old pump grenade, or was it just leaking badly? did it have this problem with the old pump? is it a remote resivoir or attached resivoir on the pump? is your power steering noisy while this condition is happening?

1)the new pump may be a piece of crap kragen rebuild that has a weak pressure relief valve such as your friend suggested

2)if your old pump came apart, there may be debris in the power steering system that is causing your headache. maybe something got into the box or other such problem.

3)if it's a remote resivoir check to see if there is any kind of screen in the bottom of the resivoir for the feed line back to the pump, i have seen the screens get clogged with crap on other makes and models. it causes cavitation and the same problem as you describe.

#8 ·
1. Replace your pump

2. Stop spinning a TBI engine 2000 RPM higher than it was ever intended to spin. It stopped breathing at 4000 RPM or sooner.

#9 ·
the old pump did stop working all together. never had this problem with it before tho. just one day quit. its not a remote resivoir its attached to the back of the pump. its never noisy when driving down the road or in a parking lot. when i installed the new pump i drain and filled it a few times to try to flush it out. fill it up run it for awhile while turning the wheel to bleed all the air out then drain it all out(or as much as i could) might be possible i didnt get all the debris.

fordx4- its a 91 3/4 ton burban with a tbi 350 thats basically all stock.

"the experience"- 1. the pump was just replaced
2. its handled 6000 rpm for awhile now and when it starts rod nockin ill worry about it then:flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.