engine swap help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 158316
engine swap help

hi, im going to be rebuilding an engine for my 95 tahoe for my senior project and had a few questions, first off the donor engine is coming from a 71 monte carlo its the 350 and i was wondering if it would just bolt right into the stock mounts in the tahoes engine bay and also if it would bolt up to the 4L60E tranny that it has now and any other info i might be over looking
Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler4life View Post
hi, im going to be rebuilding an engine for my 95 tahoe for my senior project and had a few questions, first off the donor engine is coming from a 71 monte carlo its the 350 and i was wondering if it would just bolt right into the stock mounts in the tahoes engine bay and also if it would bolt up to the 4L60E tranny that it has now and any other info i might be over looking
Thank god your senior project has nothing to do with punctuation or how to complete a proper sentence Go search or put this somewhere else.

Last edited by rockbuggy84; 02-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.
rockbuggy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 211997
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbuggy84 View Post
Thank god your senior project has nothing to do with punctuation or how to complete a proper sentence Go search or put this somewhere else.

just a notion; when random questions are posted like this is there any way that ohhhhh say... someone posts a link to the appropriate thread to find the information?
just saying, and all. i'm a new member and was trying to find similar information and this was the top result to my search, and no info! urrgh lol
notunprofesssional is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 69594
Quote:
Originally Posted by notunprofesssional View Post
just a notion; when random questions are posted like this is there any way that ohhhhh say... someone posts a link to the appropriate thread to find the information?
just saying, and all. i'm a new member and was trying to find similar information and this was the top result to my search, and no info! urrgh lol
Go to the newbie forum if you want spoon fed.

OP, you're better off to find another Vortech 5.7 to build if you want it to go easy.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
wheres my spoonfeeding shovel.....
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 158316
hmmmm... you know most people dont bother posting till after they have searched around, i do not know how you people do it around here but i have already spent hours searching around, could not find what i was looking for so i went to the CHEVY section and asked for help. im terribly sorry that you have nothing better to do with your lives then pick on my ability to compose a sentence or my punctuation.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler4life View Post
easy there Hoss,

your monte donor engine is two piece rear main-oil leaking is to say it lightly.

why not rebuild the current engine? cheaper to build what came out unless it has something seriously wrong with it.

ok, pretty much all small blocks lowers were basically the same untill '03. improvements were made on the sealing and such, but the same basic layout all the way from the beginning to the end. the differences you may find are that the acessories may be lacking mounting holes in the block, lack of knock sensor mounting location on the monte block, etc.

the reason you got slammed is because this is really common knowledge, hell wikipedia has a real in depth article on the small block. if you had read that article you would have realized that nothing really changed untill LS was introduced. yours should have vortec heads, these will perform as good stock than most pre-vortec performance heads, and light years better than that monte's heads. they will only need a minor mod for a high lift cam though.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com

now buy this guys cool chit^^^
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 37184
'95 5.7L isn't Vortec--they started in '06 for the V8.
The OP's questions indicate he intends to install the carbed '71 into a TBI '95.
The obvious question is why? Also, unless the '71 is reconfigured to the '95, for SMOG purposes, the swap runs afoul of Federal SMOG laws.
I'm not sure if the 4L60E will bolt up to the '71's flex plate (assuming the '71 has an automatic); for sure the 95's flex plate wont bolt up to the 71's crank shaft.
The 4L60E needs the '94-95 PCM to properly operate, and the '95 Tahoe probably needs the PCM for speedo, etc. I'd strongly suggest you either rebuild the '95's engine, or you find a later model engine to rebuild.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9991
What you have is a Gen1 SBC, and has been basically the same since 1955, and will bolt into your 95 should you choose to. However, as has been said, there have been many updates since 1971 that you should consider. The rear main has been mentioned, but also a taller lip on the cylinder head (Not to mention Vortec's are better) to prevent oil leakage. You may also have a roller cam motor (I'm a little fuzzy on when these became aavailable in trucks). Keep a 1990's stockish cam to avoid re-programming issues.
I'll never forget when I was 18, and I tried put a Holley 850 double pumper on my 1964 Impala SS with a 283 thinking it would go faster. What a Dumbo I was for even trying!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9991
Good catch Bubba Jeep on the Vortec, I missed it.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 158316
alright so last night i got a call and needless to say im getting a 350 out of an 85 chevy pickup recently rebuilt but he hot-rodded it while still in the break in period and ended up spinning a rod bearing so he is donating it to me for my project all i want to know now is if im going to have computer issues with putting it in bc its carbed and older, and smog shit does not apply to me bc i live outside of the boundary that i cant recall the name for it right now
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 158316
the engine the guy is giving me has high-lift cam and all that fancy stuff i could only dream of getting on a 16 year olds budget. so does anyone know where i can get it reprogramed or what ill need, i never knew much about the computers for engines being as how its not something i have ever had to fix with my dad. and i realise it is common knowlodge now i wasnt asking the right questions when i searched and have found most everything else i asked, sorry for asking such a dumb question earlier haha
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
[QUOTE=Bubba_Jeep;14032579]'95 5.7L isn't Vortec--they started in '06 for the V8. [QUOTE]

i got it wrong by one year. vortec heads started in 1996. are you thinking the LS vortec engines?

check this:
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...evy/index.html

Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 37184
[QUOTE=sjracer;14035723][QUOTE=Bubba_Jeep;14032579]'95 5.7L isn't Vortec--they started in '06 for the V8.
Quote:

i got it wrong by one year. vortec heads started in 1996. are you thinking the LS vortec engines?

check this:
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...evy/index.html
My finger doesn't no the difference between "'96" and "'06"--thanks for the catch. '96 for the first year of Vortec, and OBDII SMOG.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
so, if you have a 71 monte 350, and a 95 non-vortec but swirl port engine, what do you do?

use the swirl port heads on the pre-96 truck with the monte lower end UNLESS the 95 engine has hydraulic roller setup.

if its a hyd roller setup from the 95, have the crank turned, put new bearings in it, and run it.

I wouldnt touch the 71 monte stuff unless you were either:
1: restoring the monte
2: drag racing it.
C: putting it in a street rod that you had no worries about.

fyi, flat tappet camshafts suck with todays oils.

if you have a hydraulic roller, run it.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 158316
no im not useing the monte i have an 85 that im going to use, the only reason im not redoing the engine in it is bc my dad still drives it dailey and can only afford for it to be down on the weekend so i have two days to swap out the engines after i rebuild the 85. at this point idgaf if you guys think its pointless or stupid i just want to know if the danm truck will run with the engine out of the 85 or if i should just give up and build a fucking go kart. witch i really dont want to do bc my truck needs a new engine soon if i want it to still be around for a while witch i do, and id like it to be able to tow a little better then now cuz i plan on camping alot this summer with my friends.
and if the engine absoulutly wont work with the truck then ill just break down and get an engine from pick n pull, the only reason im using the 85 is bc its free. and only needs rod bearings

Last edited by wheeler4life; 02-21-2012 at 10:52 AM.
wheeler4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
if you got this little patience, then make sure to get your pops a AAA card with the engine. chill out, we actually probably saved you a whole lot of headache. its probably best to find another similiar year short block and have it gone through. dont do your pops the disservice of getting rid of the TBI, probably the best thing it's got going and probably one of the reasons it has lasted this long. fuel and spark control are critical to long engine life. as far as the heads, your gonna have to take them off and guage for yourself. usually they crack in the exhaust valve seat area as they use flame hardened seats that are part of the casting. having a valve job done on them may be more expensive than new heads all together.

is this a one weekend job? for a beginner i would say not to try and push it, it takes time to do this right, and if it means your dads getting to work or not then you have alot on the line if you get it wrong. you can do it, just plan for alot longer than 2 days.

imho, a chevy longblock is the way to go for a quick easy install, and it comes with a warranty. make sure to get one for your tbi, the center manifold bolts are different than the earlier blocks.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 191201
Fixing that 85 chevy engine is not as simple as just replacing the rod bearings. You need to resize the rod or rods, grind the crank, buy the bearings, check clearances, get it back together clean, and there are many details to pay attention to along the way. They probably didn't have the clearance right. If they didn't check that it makes you wonder what else they screwed up. You got it for free so take some profit by selling it to some other fool.
Renegade_◙╪╪╪◙ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 78077
If the engine ate a bearing, you will need a complete rebuild, Probally find the cam damaged and the bearings there will more then likely need to be replaced too. if the motor was ran hard enough to damage the rod bearings, it was probally ran hard enough to damage much more.

No sense in doing it half assed.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 191201
And there is no break-in period other than running in a flat tappet cam. After that you can do what you want with the engine, anything the engine was designed to do. The rings will take some time to seat but that won't stop you from beating on it.
Renegade_◙╪╪╪◙ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.