95 350 tbi intake to ? tpi intake - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 187241
Unhappy 350 tbi intake to tpi intake

I have a stock 350 tbi that is eating me alive. I want to take the engine and put it in place of a 4.3l tbi. Because I will be trying to tow a 200# trailer with an 800# boat and doing a lot of hills and stuff. I need recommendations on my idea. I have been looking around and found that the older corvettes have a tpi setup that fits my engine like a glove (i think.) Not sure about clearance with my tbi heads but as of yet haven't bought anything.

Another thing how do i tell the difference between 700rs or whatever they are called and 4l60es? and which one is better?

Also my 4.3l speedometer only goes up to 85 but my 350 goes up to 100. Is that because of the engine, or the trucks capabilities? the 4.3 is in a 94 k1500 and the 350 is in a 95 C1500.

And be gentle guys(and ladies.) I know that I am asking a lot in one thread but I need or want the answers all in one place and specifically to my setups. So can you help me please.

Last edited by us7764; 02-24-2012 at 04:33 PM.
us7764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 83920
again, in English please.

When you have multiple questions, along different trains of thought, how about some proper punctuation, and actually using paragraphs to separate them.

"par·a·graph (pr-grf)
n.
1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.
"

If I understand your questions, and given the way they were written that is a long fucking shot, I'll try to offer some insight. Here we go, in order....

Yes, you can replace your 4.3 with a 350. Are you seriously asking that?

Yes, you can put a TPI intake on a TBI engine, but it is not what you want to do on a tow rig. Also, it is a hell of a lot more complicated than bolting it on, and since you neglected asking any of the important questions on the swap, I'm just going to advise you to not fuck with it.

Next question, how to tell the difference between a 700R4 and a 4l60.....

GOOGLE

Why one truck has a max speed indicted on the speedometer of one thing, and another has something else... Because that's what the manufacturer put in them.

Last thing to point out is, coming on here with a bunch of stupid questions, presenting them in such a matter as to call your literacy into question, and then asking everyone to go easy....... Good luck with that.

Last edited by dahoyle; 02-24-2012 at 01:59 PM.
dahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 187241
There I edited my original post so that it is more to your liking and closer to, if not up to your standards. This is only my second post, so forgive me if I have not yet risen to your expectations.

I didn't ask the important questions yet because I want to know if anyone has done a similar type setup, and whether or not it would be worth the time. I know that I will need all the sensors, wiring harness, ecm and prom or equivalent setup to control the fuel injectors. I am fairly experienced with electrical devices, so I know what will be required.

Since this is my first experience here I have to express that my first impression of users if you are similar to most of them, is that it would be better use of my time spent at some other forum. Because you sir are crude to the nth degree. You went overboard with the definition of a paragraph. I hope this is close to your standards, and please refrain from posting to any future threads that I start because your input isn't wanted personally.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Let me repeat.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoyle View Post

Last thing to point out is, coming on here with a bunch of stupid questions, presenting them in such a matter as to call your literacy into question, and then asking everyone to go easy....... Good luck with that.
As to going overboard, well apparently not. Suddenly you can express yourself in a matter which can be understood. Seems like you knew how to all the time, and were just too fucking lazy. If I have embarrassed you into making yourself seem more intelligent, well, you no longer look like some inbred fucktard, and everyone can understand what you write. That's just a win-win, isn't it?

You seriously want to know if anyone has swapped a 6 for an 8, or a TBI for a TPI. Sure, lots of folks have, altho the TPI swap is pretty much out of favor. Used to be all the rage, 15 goddamn years ago. I seriously doubt if you find any recent information about it, especially here.

The rest of your questions are just retarded, so I won't address them a second time.

Finally, just to show how helpful I can be....

Open a new browser page, type Google into the address bar, and hit control enter. When that page comes up, type "TPI swaps" into the little box that is intended for text entry. Hit return. Read all about TPI swaps. OH, Your time would be best spent researching the subject at hand, rather than asking a bunch of generic questions that will only earn you vague responses. Did you really expect to ask about the swap, and that someone would give you a play by play on every detain that might come up? That applies to this forum, or any other that I know of. Of course, some of them will be nicer to you, if that is so damned important.

Oh, and I'll post in any thread I choose. I'm starting to find yours particularly worthy of my attention.

Last edited by dahoyle; 02-24-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9991
A 4L60E has more than 1 electrical plugs.
I tuned this combination for a cop in Kansas. He bought a kit from Street & Performance, but they sent it with a 6 cylinder memcal, and he contacted me, because it wouldn't run right.
You have to keep the stock PCM to control the transmission, and get a 1227730 for the tuned port. I respectfully disagree with Dahoyle that TPI is an outdated system. There's some parts of GM OBD1 that I think is better than OBD2.
However, you can't beat Gen 3 GM motors.
Contact S&P for their harness conversion kit for this application.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
A 4L60E has more than 1 electrical plugs.
I tuned this combination for a cop in Kansas. He bought a kit from Street & Performance, but they sent it with a 6 cylinder memcal, and he contacted me, because it wouldn't run right.
You have to keep the stock PCM to control the transmission, and get a 1227730 for the tuned port. I respectfully disagree with Dahoyle that TPI is an outdated system. There's some parts of GM OBD1 that I think is better than OBD2.
However, you can't beat Gen 3 GM motors.
Contact S&P for their harness conversion kit for this application.
I didn't say it was outdated. I said it is not a common swap in this day and age. Tuned Port is great, as long as you are operating in the range in was tuned for. It certainly has it's advantages over the TBI, but I don't think it's the best setup for a tow rig. If I was looking at towing with a smallblock, I wouldn't mess with either the TBI or the TPI. The Vortec is superior to both, in a stock(ish) configuration. I would be willing to bet you could buy an entire donor truck, for less than what it would cost to assemble all the components needed for TPI. The TPI setup will flow well, and the powerband beats the TBI pretty much across the board, but bolting it onto a TBI engine just doesn't make sense, unless you are willing to re-cam, and use better heads. I believe there is a lower manifold available from Edlebrock which allows the use of Vortec heads. The 093 heads are probably the most efficient wet runner heads ever produced, but will do nothing except choke out the TPI up, offering a net gain of nothing(will probably see small improvements, but not enough to justify the swap)

I love the TPI systems, and would love to set one up with an OBDII ecm, and see what you can do with it. That, however would entail a complete build, or setting it onto an L31 long block. No way would I go to the effort and install it onto a TBI block. I love the L31, but am not a big fan of the fuel delivery abortion that is necessitated by using the intake. The L31-TPI/OBDII is what should have been available from GMPP, but they had already moved on to the stupid Ramjet manifolds by then.

Last edited by dahoyle; 02-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 187241
To clarify my current situation

I smashed up front driver side of my k1500 4.3l

I have the c1500 5.7l sitting on my lawn waiting for people to stop low balling. (I think that is the right term.)

Been stripping as many parts off of the c1500 as I can. Lights, harness for lighting, and the like. Because I need one head light, and the c1500 is a composite setup, so in order to save money and use the grille I have to obviously use the headlights, signals etc.

I then thought about swapping the 5.7l engine and transmission over now that I have gotten this far into it. So I am wondering if I remove both the engine and the transmission, wouldn't it just be easier to pull the 5.7l ecm and plug it into the 4.3l harness? Assuming of course that they match up.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 83920
I'm going to say that for a straight swap, from TBI, to TBI, the swap should be straightforward, as you said. You "might" have to re-pin the ECU connector. I'm not an expert on the later ECU's used in the TBI trucks, but I know there were a couple of variations. Easiest way to tell would be to pull up a wiring diagram of both trucks and see if they are the same. If they are, it's plug and play.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 36822
Quote:
Originally Posted by us7764 View Post
I smashed up front driver side of my k1500 4.3l

I have the c1500 5.7l sitting on my lawn waiting for people to stop low balling. (I think that is the right term.)

Been stripping as many parts off of the c1500 as I can. Lights, harness for lighting, and the like. Because I need one head light, and the c1500 is a composite setup, so in order to save money and use the grille I have to obviously use the headlights, signals etc.

I then thought about swapping the 5.7l engine and transmission over now that I have gotten this far into it. So I am wondering if I remove both the engine and the transmission, wouldn't it just be easier to pull the 5.7l ecm and plug it into the 4.3l harness? Assuming of course that they match up.
If I'm understanding you and your rambling, yes, a 5.7L TBI will use the same harness and connections as a 4.3L TBI, GIVEN THAT BOTH HAVE THE SAME TRANSMISSION (i.e., a 4L60E will require "more" harness than a 700R4).

Or, perhaps, you were asking, "Will you fondle my buttocks?". Not sure which "English to Internet" dictionary you are using...