14 bolt hub question did search - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 174087
14 bolt hub question did search

I have a pre 88 14 bolt rear axle that im running and I need a new housing so when I was out and about one day I found a ribbed 14 bolt and bought it cheap not realizing it has diffrent hubs wich allow the drums to come off without removing hub , can I just swap my pre 88 hubs on with the disk setup im curently running and take advantage of the ribbed 14 bolt housing or are the ends of the tubes diffrent ?
jumbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
tape measure and a micrometer will tell you that. not to sound like a dick, but you have both of them in front of you. take the bearings out of the hubs you want to run and see how they fit the stub end, make sure they slip-fit correctly. if that is good then bolt it all up and try it.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 38380
Send a message via Yahoo to sick_sahara_yj
just remember the year, because when ordering gears and install kits, they are different. the pinion bearings are different i believe.

I ran into that when I swapped a newer rear into an older truck.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 174087
If I wanted to rip my 46's off my beast and rip the axle apart as well as the new one I could measure but I figured if someone knew it would save me the greef

I am aware the pinion support bearing is diffrent but the gears are not , I also believe the crush sleeve is diffrent so out of the master install kit replacing the 2 parts isn't a big price to pay to use a ribbed housing thats low k only 80k original

My axle now is tired , one end has been cut off and the new one re welded on upside down after someone ran it dry , both spindles need to be speedy sleved and im sure its bent by now
jumbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38380
Send a message via Yahoo to sick_sahara_yj
i just looked up on autozone.com and looked up the different years and they all have the same bearing set part numbers

so from that I would say it would have no problems fitting. I hate taking things a part to check as well, I found just looking up part numbers sometimes helps out for me. I also looked up several different companies that make the disk brake adapters and the only issue is cab and chassis, drw, or srw. From all this, id say they will swap over just fine

Last edited by sick_sahara_yj; 04-03-2012 at 05:33 PM.
sick_sahara_yj is offline   Reply With Quote