Declining Voltage - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 201093
Declining Voltage

I have an issue that I'm running out of ideas on how to fix...! This is for a '99 Tahoe 5.7L

My resting voltage is 12.4 and when I start the truck I'm at 14.5....however, as the truck runs, it slowly drops down to 13.8. When the truck cools down and I restart at a later time, it starts @ 14.5

If I'm driving for awhile and start to hit stop/go traffic, I've seen it hit 12.* volts.

I have a OEM 140amp alternator that I've had bench tested and it passed all their (Advance auto) tests. I also just installed a new 220amp and it passed as well...and the voltage dropped just like the 140amp!! Even if everything was turned on, my only big draw is my efan (mark VIII) and 1500watt (draws 60amps @ max) sound system.

I've turned off all accessories, lights, etc and the exact same thing occurs with the dropping voltage; so I know I'm using nowhere near the alternator's capacity. The battery is grounded using OEM + 0gauge wire to the body and the alternator is wired using OEM + 0gauge wire. The battery is also a dual post Interstate that is <1yr old.

Thinking their might be a bad ground from body to frame, I bought a big grounding strap and through bolted it on each side....no improvement. I also checked all my OEM grounds in the engine bay and couldn't find an issue with any of them.

Any recommendations to fix this??

Last edited by Sparg93; 04-03-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Sparg93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 73673
and youve preformed a parasetic draw test?
Stout Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 201093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout Racing View Post
and youve preformed a parasetic draw test?
Not yet - i figured with standing and starting voltage in check, parasetic draw was not the culprit.

I've left this truck sitting for over a week and starts up with no issue.

But I'm no expert with electricity, so my logic could be flawed.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
are you depending on the guage on the dash? they are horribly innacurate. try checking with an actual good digital volt meter.

FYI: its perfectly normal for the guage to vary from 13.5-14.5 volts when the engine is running at 1500+ rpm. charging voltage depends on many many things and it will vary all the time.

if your battery starts going dead or the charging voltage is below 12.0 volts then you need to check things out.

depending on load, under certian situations the alternator will be 'maxed' out, and your charging voltage will be in the 12's.

now please move this to the General Repair questions area. this is for 4wd related quesitons only.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com

now buy this guys cool chit^^^

Last edited by sjracer; 04-03-2012 at 10:35 PM.
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 201093
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
are you depending on the guage on the dash? they are horribly innacurate. try checking with an actual good digital volt meter.
I used both dash and a digital - both are surprisingly in synch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer View Post
FYI: its perfectly normal for the guage to vary from 13.5-14.5 volts when the engine is running at 1500+ rpm. charging voltage depends on many many things and it will vary all the time.

if your battery starts going dead or the charging voltage is below 12.0 volts then you need to check things out.
Thank you for the intel!

While the truck is running, it's never dropped below 12 volts so maybe my attention is on a non-issue.

Last edited by Sparg93; 04-03-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Sparg93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 166702
I just had a similar problem. Mine was really low like 10v and then it would be normal after a while 13-14v. The problem was a loose ground to the gauge itself.
rayfin interiors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 174055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparg93 View Post
I used both dash and a digital - both are surprisingly in synch!

Thank you for the intel!

While the truck is running, it's never dropped below 12 volts so maybe my attention is on a non-issue.
Nothing is wrong with your truck.
247pia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Table Rock Crawler

Member # 115122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparg93 View Post

But I'm no expert with electricity, so my logic could be flawed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247pia View Post
Nothing is wrong with your truck.
If it aint broke fix it till it is.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dear Penis

Member # 123551
go to a garage that has a tech 2 and have them do a sweep test on your guage cluster. clusters go bad all the time.

you could also check your belt and tensioner to make sure they arent worn out and slipping.

I work hard for a living, millions on welfare depend on me...

Looking for 1 38-42" spare and rim, 16" or bigger. pm me if ya have one
brooks294x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Permanent Newb

Member # 176672
So..... It always starts, and powers everything you added "1500W stereo", WTF is the problem?

I'd say you don't have a problem. Except you're ANALizing waaaay to much. Relax and spend the extra time you have on something worth while, theres a video game called "World of Warcraft". People like you love it!

Watch this space for Project Ultimate Resurrection 2015!!
Cooter! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 201093
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcxt View Post
If it aint broke fix it till it is.
That is very true!

Brookes - belt is new, tensioner is working. I also ran an electric gauge and both gauge & OEM panel are in synch.

Cooter - today I'm swapping the 10bolt for a 14 bolt - it's been a long time since I've had time for video games!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 198851
13.8 volts will keep the battery happy in warmer weather. I assume you are checking the voltage at the battery terminal? 12 volts while the engine is running at speed is too low to keep the battery fully charged.I've seen stuff like this happen because the battery had a internal problem.Swap the battery if you can and see what happens.
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Send a message via MSN to the_experience3006 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience3006
It's normal for charging system output voltage to be reduced after some time of running. There is no reason to run at 14.4 volts if the battery is charged. All you're doing is cooking the battery and wasting gas.

Also...either you got ripped off on you "1500 watt stereo" or you're not telling us the whole truth.

60 amp * 14.4 volts = 864 watts assuming 100% efficiency. Typical efficiencies for a class A-B amp is about 50% while some class D amps can get a little higher, but only power sub bass frequencies. Enjoy your 400 watt stereo.

FWIW...a true 1500 watt stereo would draw about 175 amps assuming an average efficiency of 60% (class A-B and class D combined).

[QUOTE=TexasBlake;10305687]She's not that hot. I was just looking for a quick lay and she all wanted to like go on dates and shit.
[/QUOTE]
the_experience3006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 174055
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience3006 View Post
It's normal for charging system output voltage to be reduced after some time of running. There is no reason to run at 14.4 volts if the battery is charged. All you're doing is cooking the battery and wasting gas.

Also...either you got ripped off on you "1500 watt stereo" or you're not telling us the whole truth.

60 amp * 14.4 volts = 864 watts assuming 100% efficiency. Typical efficiencies for a class A-B amp is about 50% while some class D amps can get a little higher, but only power sub bass frequencies. Enjoy your 400 watt stereo.

FWIW...a true 1500 watt stereo would draw about 175 amps assuming an average efficiency of 60% (class A-B and class D combined).
That's just crazy talk
Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Table Rock Crawler

Member # 115122
Dont bring Ohms Law into this thread this dude wont sleep for days...
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 143356
Do you have your E-fan positioned in a way to blow the hot air right on the alt? An alternator getting hot will drop output to reduce heat. I found this out when the bushings on mine started going. It was dropping the output down to 12V after a short time of running and getting real hot.

I also have a dual E-fan set up on mine and I run mainly the driver side fan. If I run the pass. side fan it blows hot air from the radiator/condenser right on the alt and the voltage will drop more than it does normally. You might notice that it runs a lower voltage in real hot weather too than in cold.

Be glad he doesn't have a class A amp. You could use that as an aux. heater. Class D can run as high as 90% efficient too. It uses a digital on/off signal instead of linear so it's way more efficient. Bad side though are that the MOSFETS they use can't switch fast enough for higher frequency so they are limited to mid/low to bass. Yeah I had to be a complicated smart ass.
4Xjunkie96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 174055
There is nothing wrong with his charging system!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 80052
Send a message via MSN to the_experience3006 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Xjunkie96 View Post

Be glad he doesn't have a class A amp. You could use that as an aux. heater. Class D can run as high as 90% efficient too. It uses a digital on/off signal instead of linear so it's way more efficient. Bad side though are that the MOSFETS they use can't switch fast enough for higher frequency so they are limited to mid/low to bass. Yeah I had to be a complicated smart ass.
Even at 100% efficiency he's only at 864 watts. 60 amps*14.4 volts=864 watts

*edit* But I bet the amp says 1500x4 super awesome when-struck-by-lightning max watts.

[QUOTE=TexasBlake;10305687]She's not that hot. I was just looking for a quick lay and she all wanted to like go on dates and shit.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by the_experience3006; 04-07-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
What part of queens are you working on the truck in? I could swing by and take a gander at whats going on..Im usually in woodside, maspeth, or jamaica most of the time..
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 91648
I don't know if it was already implimented in '99, but GM with its ecm controlled alternator will reduce voltage when the draw is minimal (and the battery is fully charged), and kick it back up as required. Somebody can correct me on this, but I think they let the system go down as low as 12.8 volts. All in the name of saving a drop of fuel by reducing the alternator load on the engine.

If you have a tow/haul mode you can check this quick, with tow/haul mode engaged the alternator will revert to standard operation (ie: 14.x volts).

Alex.
GMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 80052
13.8 volts is a perfectly acceptable charging rate. GM is the only manufacturer that routinely runs 14.4 volts. There is nothing wrong with this truck. The charging system warning indicator is not coming on and there are no DTCs. Put a piece of tape over the voltmeter so you stop paying so much attention to it.

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 174055
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience3006 View Post
13.8 volts is a perfectly acceptable charging rate. GM is the only manufacturer that routinely runs 14.4 volts. There is nothing wrong with this truck. The charging system warning indicator is not coming on and there are no DTCs. Put a piece of tape over the voltmeter so you stop paying so much attention to it.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 201093
Thanks guys for the intel...this thing took on a life of its own over the wkd.

4x - good observation, my voltage does go lower in the summer and my efan (from a Lincoln Mark VIII) does blow hot air towards the alt; it's almost the size of the radiator, so hot air is blown across the entire front of the engine.

GMGuy - one of the guys in the garage is a long time mechanic and mentioned this was what was going on in my rig. Voltage essentially drops until there is a load placed on the system.

I stopped thinking about this week after the first few posts...everything seems ok after everyone chimed in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.