89 chevy 4 wheel drive problem - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 210229
89 chevy 4 wheel drive problem

ive got an 89 chevy 1500 and my 4 wheel drive went out. i replaced the actuator on the front axle with a brand new one but my 4wheel drive is still not working. i know the transfer case is working fine. what other parts are there
abadoobi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 210229
i just figured that was the problem since it usually is. i will try what you said when it quits pooring rain. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 210229
and what part is that switch ontop of the case called? I cant find it by googling. thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Originally Posted by abadoobi View Post
i just figured that was the problem since it usually is.
Wow, that's brilliant. Troubleshooting by rumor.

Just think how much farther along you'd be right now, if you had actually tried to determine the fault rather than swapping what is "usually" the problem.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
did the old actuator actualy go bad or did you just swap it out thinking it wasnt working?

you might not be activating it via a fualty switch on the tcase or the thremo controls.

pull it out of the housing and shit into 4wd, see if it extends.
put your finger in the actuator hole and try to push the shft fork over as you turn the drive shaft to make sure you dont have an internal failure/
Epic advice!
Dana 60 or 14 bolt disk brake kits $315 shipped http://www.lugnut4x4.com/
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 210229
please tell me how much farther ahead id be. you realize it takes less than 1 minute to change that part right, and since i can just take the part back im not out anything.... how the hell else am i supposed to figure out whats wrong. 90% of the time thats the problem so i figured it was. i had already figured out the problem was not in the transfer case since it was engaging.
from now on if you feel like helping somebody then go right ahead and help them. if you just wanna be a dick and bitch at them for tryin to fix their truck just dont say anything its a waste of time for both of us.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 83920
Quote:
Originally Posted by abadoobi View Post
please tell me how much farther ahead id be. you realize it takes less than 1 minute to change that part right, and since i can just take the part back im not out anything.... how the hell else am i supposed to figure out whats wrong. 90% of the time thats the problem so i figured it was. i had already figured out the problem was not in the transfer case since it was engaging.
from now on if you feel like helping somebody then go right ahead and help them. if you just wanna be a dick and bitch at them for tryin to fix their truck just dont say anything its a waste of time for both of us.
You are a waste of time and oxygen.

How are you supposed to find a problem? Seriously?

It's called troubleshooting. It's sort of a lost art. It requires a little bit of intelligence, a tiny bit of insight, and it requires you to think, as opposed to randomly swapping parts.

How hard is it to actually test the actuator, anyways. Disconnect the pigtail from it and observe for voltage at the harness.If the voltages don't change, when the switch is engaged, well, that means the problem is before the actuator. If the voltages appear correct, then remove the actuator, leave the wires attached, and observe it for proper function. If it isn't working, but the voltages are correct, then it is bad.

It isn't rocket science. Then again, as I said, it does require a little bit of intelligence. I don't really know that you'd be farther ahead, but I know that if it was me, I would have found the problem,, and bought the right part to begin with.

Hey, don't sweat it. Just keep randomly swapping parts, and if the problem is one of those parts, then eventually you'll find it. Well, as long as it's not a wiring problem or a bad connection.

Oh, and please refrain from telling me which posts I might want to post in. It won't do any good. I really am a dick.

On the other hand, if it will get you to think a little, then the world will be a better place for it, so I'll post a link that should help you out. I mean, this is the 21st century, and chances are that if you have a problem you think can be solved by asking on an internet forum, then someone probably beat you to it and all you have to do is SEARCH for an answer.

http://www.truckforum.org/forums/4x4...-selenoid.html

I promise you, your answer is in there, so unless you feel like coming back and thanking me, just fix your fucking truck and shut up. Nobody is really interested in hearing you whine.

Last edited by dahoyle; 05-06-2012 at 08:54 PM.
dahoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoyle View Post
You are a waste of time and oxygen.

I really am a dick.

On the other hand, if it will get you to think a little, then the world will be a better place for it,

Nobody is really interested in hearing you whine.
I would have limited the response to the above...

he doesnt deserve the time, though the sarcasm is fitting!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
Look to see if the passenger side axleshaft is sticking out a little further than it should.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.