Pirate 4x4 banner

From old and busted, to new and busted!

24K views 82 replies 29 participants last post by  86k30 
#1 · (Edited)
My truck/crawler/yard tractor/hack pile o tube has been pretty neglected over the last couple years. It was my first crawler, and my first cage job, and weaksauce at best. It had gotten to the point were I was scared to attempt some things because of the cage and general lack of safety. Plus, since its original build, I have had kids and gotten my wife pretty involved in wheeling with me too, so I needed more space. And with the wife and kids potentially riding, the safety issue became very important. So its time for a do over!

Since I work two full time jobs, this will only get updated once a week for those that are interested. Cause I only have Sat and Sun to work on it:flipoff2:

Heres the low down on what I have been rocking for the last couple years:
42" TSL's on stock centered H1's derunflatted
dually 60,4.10s, lunchboxed, 35 spline outers and flanges, homebrew highsteer crossover w/tierod in the rear, single ended assist cylinder, ruffstuff cover
C&C 14 w/ SW hubs, welded , 4,10s, discs, ruffstuff cover, redonculously huge traction bar
mostly stock K20 frame, boxed to the engine crossmember, added one crossmember at the front and rear
6" rod Vortec headed roller TBI 383, untouched hydro clutched 465, hybrid chevy/dodge 208 flipped with front shaft and chain removed, divorced twinsticked dodge 205
1350s through out, two peice front shaft
56" leafs front and rear
16.5 TI Warn on front, Rewired military Warn 10K in the rear, in cab controls.
Raised the floor in the stock cab and tucked all the drive train above the bottom of the framerail, Geo Metro seats, totally custom badass Eaton Fuller shifter, K5 console, some autometer stuff, and a panic button that screams panic for when I flip or flop it:D
The cage was a deathtrap of .095 wall HREW 1 5/8. I was just getting tired of it looking so hack!

Heres where Saturday afternoon started at

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
And this is the part where I get to feel all enviromentally friendly and shit. I'm green bitches! I R recycling parts. This cab is the last remaining part of the 91 V3500 I have slowly parted out. The axles went under a K5 I built, the 4l80e and 205 made it into a CJ build, Rocktonka of the PBB got the frame for one of his badass builds, and most of the rest of it got scattered to other projects. I sold this cab to another member here, and he never came to get it. Finally got ahold of him and he said to keep it, so I thought I would upgrade my junk using it.

Attachments

#5 ·
You know how you look at something and convince yourself it will fit, while subconcioulsy you know theres no way in hell it will? Ya, some modifying was in order. It was "suggested" that I use beer cans and concrete to make some spacer for the front cab mounts, lol! Negative , ghost rider. BTW, I might skin the new sliders with the diamondplate:D. This is where it sits till saturday. Wish me luck.

Attachments

#6 ·
Subscribed. Now that I'm in Cali & all my projects are on one property with all my tools, etc, I've got to pick up or revise some old PBB build threads. Good to see somebody else starting again with an old project. Looking forward to watching yours progress!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
god, is this gonna make me start another phase of building my truck......... ok i like where this is going as i have the same problem, family got a little bigger after the initial build. keeping an eye on this one.

#10 ·
You cant see the pictures?! The crew cab frames were flat all the way back to just in front of the rear cab mounts. I'm putting this on a regular cab frame, which steps up a lot sooner. The only way to avoid cutting the floor out would have been to basically body lift the cab, which I refuse to do. I actually had to raise the floor in the regualr cab too, because of the fact that I pushed the trans and Tcase up above the bottom of the frame for a flat belly. That and look at the last pic showing the missing floor. The front tcase is flipped upside down to allow room for the front shaft coming from the divorced 205 behind it.

#11 ·
Make the floor section removable or put some access doors where the good stuff is..makes for fast standing fluid checks u joint changes..

Cant wait to see how this rig turns out..

#13 ·
Got the floor wrapped up last night. Damn, I hate welding sheet metal. Moved on to relocating everything behind the cab. Along with repackaging my fuel tank, rear winch, pair of batterys, and tool box, I also dropped everything down as far as possible. I'm hoping doing so will balance out the COG. Stopped for a few hours to eat and hang out with my family before they go to bed. I'll post a few more pics with everything placed in the rear later tonight.

Attachments

#15 ·
can you get me a measurement on the new setup? what i'm wondering is how much longer the quad cab is. if you can measure from the front of the front door edge (the gap between the fender and the door below the mirror) to the back of the cab on the outside. a general measurement, trying to figure if this is a way i should go or find a blazer body. liking the quadcab because my wheelbase is wrong for a blazer. that makes another question, what is your wheelbase?

#16 · (Edited)
will do when I get back to the shop. Wb is longggggggggg!! I get alot of strange looks at the trailhead, and lots of people say its way too much. But I like it alot. Will measure and post it with more pics tonight.

Wife has a steak on the grill for me right now!! Been gone all weekend long wrenching, and she still cooks for me. I must be awesome:flipoff2:

#18 ·
Exo with 1 3/4 .120, with a pair of hoops inside, mostly for a proper place to mount 5 points and the seats. Seats will consist of the stock rear bench in back for the time being. Up front i will use either the Geo metro seats I had in the previous cab, or a set of baller ass Peterbilt seats I scored from work.

#24 ·
I will in a few weeks, as i fix it. Right now it all works great, but looks horrible. I torch cut all the arms and didnt really clean them up, so they look pretty butch! I am going to move the cylinder behind the axle to mount it to the tie rod. Its in front attached to the passenger knuckle, and I keep destroying knuckles because of it.

#27 ·
Looks like I'm chopping the center support out of that tiny ass toolbox to drop it a few more inches. I also got the top of the cab triangulated real nice, one tube on each side continuing from the A pillar bar all the way back to the center of the rear hoop. And then tied across from the B billar tubes side to side, I am going to incorporate a set of gin poles hinged to the rear bumper/frame that come together A frame style and anchor into the center of the rear hoop when folded up. It's purpose, other than recovering broken Jeeps:flipoff2:, is to serve as triangulation to the rear hoop. Any good ideas on how to accomplish a solid, but easy to unhook/buckle/fasten attachment point. I'm no good with paint, etc so I cant really show what I'm thinking!

#34 ·
Thanks!

looks l;ike it is comin along well. I have been thinking about doing my rockers when the time comes, but I was thinking a 2x6 grafted right in to the rocker. that way it wont rust out every couple years and I would have a point to put an exo on if I went that route. looks like it might have worked here and got it nice and tucked up in there. keep the pics comin. cheers.
While I did consider the whole boatsiding thing, time is just not on my side. The previous setup worked pretty well for me, so I'm hoping the 3 extra feet wont make it any worse( it will, but a guy can hope! )
I like it.:)
Thanks fellas! nice to know I'm not a total hack, just 95%:flipoff2: Got a three day weekend!! Hope to wrap up the cage, mount the air tank, radiator, toolboxes, get most of the exterior wiring done, rocklights, tail and headlights, etc. Maybe I can get the interior cage started too!! wish me luck!

#32 ·
looks l;ike it is comin along well. I have been thinking about doing my rockers when the time comes, but I was thinking a 2x6 grafted right in to the rocker. that way it wont rust out every couple years and I would have a point to put an exo on if I went that route. looks like it might have worked here and got it nice and tucked up in there. keep the pics comin. cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.