383 block to crank clerance - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2003, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 15948
383 block to crank clerance

It has been a couple years from my last 383 build up. Tomarrow I am starting another( block prep now) and I dont remember how to grind the block.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 15526
i had to grind on mine when i put it together /but i dont remember excataly where i had to do the grinding /if you have the pistons and connecting rods go ahead and mock up the engine what i mean by that is go ahead and put the crank and crankshaft bearings in /and lay the crank in it and just snug it up to where you can install the pistons / but without the rings/ they will go in easyer/ go ahead and snug up the rod caps /but be careful when you spin them over not to scratch the cylinder walls /uses lots of oil/ then as you install each single piston watch where the rod/ where it contacts the block when you spin the engine over and you will see where it will touch mark it with something / just be sure you put in one piston in at a time and spin it all the way around because some of them touch each side of the block/ do them one at a time / what i mean by that is put each piston and rod in the hole where it goes in and watch where it makes contact / i used a cutoff tool with a small deburrer and ground my block down / but be sure and remove everything before you do this because the metal shavings go everywhere/ and test fit everything again after you grind it to be sure it has enough clearance / i hope you can understand what i am talking about i am just trying to help.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9357
The rods you use will determine a lot of it. 6" rods get a little tricky and may require a small base circle cam. The 5.7s I think is just a little of the sides here and there. Dont use the 400 rods, I think they are 4.75 or something even though they may not require any grinding. Some rods come with special caps/bolts to increase clearance also.

Charlo
Old 01-19-2003, 05:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 15948
I am useing the stock 400 crank, stock 350 rods/block, vortec heads, a mild cam, headman headers,eldelbrock intake manifold, pro jection tbi, and sumits hyperutectic pistons and master overhall kit. We are estimating just over 400 ft lbs and we are sticking it in a 87 full size wagoner. You can see it on my site http://www.msnuser.com/scootteroffroadadventures under the freinds folder
Old 01-19-2003, 05:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15948
sorry the adress is http://www.msnusers.com/scoottersoffroadadventures