88 Jimmy, hacked up, tubed, with rockwells - Page 20 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #476 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711

A quick vid of me puttering around. Never mind the exhaust leak, the header gasket has already been replaced.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #477 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
So after that I spent the next few weekends getting ready for Idaho Tuff Truck Challenge in Mountain Home. I haven't built this thing to be entering any hard core contests, because I most definitely would have to rework tons of things to pass tech in a contest like Mountain Havoc, so I probably will only enter more local redneck style events. ITTC is pretty legit, but I like the attitude there, its more for fun than anything, and as so long as you have a roll bar, seatbelt, dirt bike helmet, and a fire extinguisher you are golden. I urge anyone to register no matter what rig you have. There are crazy legit buggies, but there were also tons of slightly modified rigs. I had a great time, and it was a well ran, organized event and everyone went home in one piece.

Anywho here are some pics of me prepping my cage to make my 4 point harnesses more legit.

I swear some day I will paint them.

And just so you know, I did do a similar tube behind the passenger seat for the shoulder straps to wrap around, however I made it removeable with some poly bushings and 9/16" bolts because I would rather make it easy to pull the kids in and out of the back.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #478 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
It was a solid trek down there, 10 hours with the semi, probably 9 in a passenger car.

For some reason I love bouncing down the road in this thing.

Lots of legit setups there...

So there were 40 contestants there, and guess which number I was randomly assigned... that's right... number 40

Really it wasn't a big deal since they switched up order on every event, but I did go last on the sled pull. First event was the rti ramp. I haven't build my rig for big flex so I didn't expect to do very well. I think I came in somewhere in the 20's. Then it was the sled pull. They build a pretty neat sled that can be raised and lowered. You start off dragging the rear of it and then the air bag drops the front so it starts dragging the front after a few seconds. Full pull I think was 200 ft, I did a full pull, but with a motor hesitation early, and a pretty slow time. Only about half the field finished though so I thought that okay. Was in 2:1 and just wrapped it up to 5k rpms in 1st gear.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #479 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Next was the obstacle course. Basically it was an amateur dirt bike track with a few extra turns and some mud holes. I thought I wouldn't like this event, since I have always had the opinion that if I wanted to drive on a dirt bike track, I would just ride it on my dirt bike, however I had a really good time. I didn't air it out like some guys, but I had fun.

Then it was onto the mud pit. They didn't churn it up before adding the water so it was basically who could drive through 2ft of water the fastest. Eventhough I hate mud I didn't drive 10 hours to pussy foot it. Luckily they had a hose to clean everything off.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #480 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Last was the rock event which I was the most excited for. Basically 2 rocky climbs, one interesting obstacle with 2 rows of run flats strung along 2 logs, and a mud hole to finish it. Funny thing is I didn't worry too much about the runflats but that's what hung me up. I blew through the first rock section with a good time and then timed out trying to winch off of being high centered. Disappointing but fun nontheless. I ended up 20th overall, would have done better with a better rock run. But most of all it was nice to finally meet some online/facebook friends that I hadn't wheeled with before.

Here are some random photos from ITTC

Old 10-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #481 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711

Wish I had more action shots, sorry.

And some bashed stock rigs that took a serious beating over the weekend. They both got some serious air on the obstacle course.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #482 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Sunday was track clean up, and then monday they took whoever was still around on a trail run. A fun dry rocky trail, my favorite.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #483 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Stay tuned, there will be a change comming...

Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #484 (permalink)

Member # 228663
Old 12-08-2016, 12:47 AM   #485 (permalink)

Member # 136813
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjef View Post

]
it was cool meeting you at sumerbash your blazer brought a lot of ideas on for me, even more so now that ive read through the build thread....hope to see you next year.

p.s my rig is the front row third one in on the rightside
Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 PM   #486 (permalink)
SMC

Member # 8941
Awesome photos! I love seeing your rig in action. Its crazy how far is come in such a short amount of time. Oh, and interesting news. Looks like i'll be moving up the road from you in Graham. Should be scooting my way there in a few months Looking forward to wheeling with ya.
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #487 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC View Post
Awesome photos! I love seeing your rig in action. Its crazy how far is come in such a short amount of time. Oh, and interesting news. Looks like i'll be moving up the road from you in Graham. Should be scooting my way there in a few months Looking forward to wheeling with ya.
Yeah man sounds good. Funny thing is I likely will be moving away in July. I guess that's what happens in the Army... but if there is a few months overlap we can go wheel together for sure. Let me know when you get here.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #488 (permalink)

Member # 136813
assuming my junk is ready. a bunch of us from tits offroad are doing an st pattys day run to elbe in march. hopefully this time I don't grenade my front end this time. no more reverse clutch drops for me
Old 12-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #489 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramboy1990 View Post
assuming my junk is ready. a bunch of us from tits offroad are doing an st pattys day run to elbe in march. hopefully this time I don't grenade my front end this time. no more reverse clutch drops for me
Keep me posted, and can likely spend a day with you guys. I live 30 minutes from Elbe. That would be fun.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #490 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Okay... so onto my new tires.

47" ltb's on h1 rims.

I have always liked double beadlocks, especially ones without beads, sure makes tire changing easy. I do everything myself... except popping beaded tires off rims... I hate that shiz!

I also decided to do the rims homemade recentered. Bought some 3/8" centers with small gussets from rockeroffroad. Unfortunately they didn't seem to know what the hell I was talking about when I said I wanted them set up for stock lug nuts. Rockwells use a 3/4" thread and a 1 1/2" lug nut. Basically it's a slight ball style lug nut seat, but a 60* strait taper does give you a lot of good contact. So basically that means rockwells need a 1.25" hole, and a 60* taper. Well they sent me 5 centers with a 3/4" hole and a 45* taper. Freaking stupid. So I had to drill them out, and taper them, but at least now my drill bit collection is better. Everything else from them was good and at a very reasonable price, but the lug nut taper bothered me.

Anywho I welded them suckers in after that, and cut out the stock centers myself and welded up the rock rings. Once all that was done I got irritated with messing with the valve stems and said F@#$ it and just welded up the valve stem hole. I changed to normal valvestems through a drilled hole on the inner wheel shell. It made it so I had to hole saw a passage through my pvc inserts, no biggie. The wheels have a 2.5" backspacing, which kicks the tire out a tad compared to before.

I will also say that dicking with these O-rings was a pain in the A$$ compared to my 20x10's on my semi. These were much smaller and had to be stretched out. I destroyed a few and needed to buy some more... I went with TWF's o rings for replacements and they were the same thing. Why the hell don't h1 O-rings just freaking fit and seal? Annoying.
Attached Images

Last edited by kayjef; 02-23-2017 at 01:41 PM.
kayjef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #491 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
While waiting for some wheel parts in the mail I finally hunkered down and finished off boxing in the front tubing. It only took me 3 years, but I got her done.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #492 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
And I just had to get out into the snow before it melted.
Attached Images

Last edited by kayjef; 02-23-2017 at 01:48 PM.
kayjef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #493 (permalink)

Member # 228663
Truck looks so balanced on 47's!! Rig was made for that size tire. And looks more complete with the front fenders filled in.

I hear ya on the h1 O-rings...when mine were new it sucked real bad! But since I have had mine on for a couple years, now when I take them off, they seem to hold their shape better and don't really shrink at all. So hopefully when you change tires later on it wont be a pain to have them stay in place and create the seal
Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #494 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
So I am in the Army and got an RFO to move to Ft Carson, Colo. So this build thread started in Arizona, went to Washington, and now it's going to Colorado... the place of my birth.

I am looking forward to becoming re-acquainted with the trails there.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #495 (permalink)
Marion Cobretti

Member # 40131
Digging them 47sssssexy!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #496 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 115122
Front clip and tires look good.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #497 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazer View Post
Digging them 47sssssexy!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcxt View Post
Front clip and tires look good.
Thanks guys, it's the tire I've always wanted and never had money to buy new until now.

Plus I am gonna have access to my bro's cut bogger's here soon...
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #498 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 192711
Posting here just because biznitches

My updated tow rig!
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #499 (permalink)
jtr
Rock God

Member # 41068
Much better than red.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #500 (permalink)

Member # 53013
just read your entire thread. I love the home brew style and making the badass truck from it all. Gives me a ton of motivation.
Stockk5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.