1964 Chevrolet 4x4 hubs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 242513
1964 Chevrolet 4x4 hubs

Ive got a 1964 chevrolet frame that was told is a k20 but since ive got 6lug axles i think it may have been a 1/2ton.
My question is since my original lockouts are shot and cant afford new ones im looking to find suitable ones from craigslist for cheaper.
What years should i be looking for that will swap in place of my existing lockouts.
Im unsure because most seem to bolt into place were mine dont have the bolts on the outside of them.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

mage0095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
I'm the one who told you to come over from the HAMB board. Welcome to the best board on the net.
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage0095 View Post
Ive got a 1964 chevrolet frame that was told is a k20 but since ive got 6lug axles i think it may have been a 1/2ton.
My question is since my original lockouts are shot and cant afford new ones im looking to find suitable ones from craigslist for cheaper.
What years should i be looking for that will swap in place of my existing lockouts.
Im unsure because most seem to bolt into place were mine dont have the bolts on the outside of them.

ok... looks like you have some offbeat stuff... for today, that is.

This type of hub should have an allen screw on the outside of the body of the hub. if you remove that screw, or loosen it, you should be able to wiggle the cap off the hub and get to the snap ring.

there are probably two different size snap rings on it.. one on the stub shaft and one outside the inner body of the hub. its getting the cap off thats a big pain in the ass.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage0095 View Post

ok... looks like you have some offbeat stuff... for today, that is.

This type of hub should have an allen screw on the outside of the body of the hub. if you remove that screw, or loosen it, you should be able to wiggle the cap off the hub and get to the snap ring.

there are probably two different size snap rings on it.. one on the stub shaft and one outside the inner body of the hub. its getting the cap off thats a big pain in the ass.

This is the NAPCO hub i was hoping you had....
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Damn Grumpy, what a great photo! You know if I remember correctly the old style hubs on 1/2 tons sat inside the hub with the dial flush with the edge of the hub. I think you had to slightly push in on the hub to reveal a round split ring that you can pop out with a small screwdriver. Clean around the outer surface of the hub face and see if you can push it in slightly.
As stated before (and glamor shot of the Napco) the real early hubs had external bolts. Also early to mid sixties 3/4 ton Chevys had external bolt hubs with a small dial in the center. These were on Dana 44 closed knuckle drum brake front axles. Chevy started building there own 4x4's in 1960 and went from the corporate Eaton axles that Napco used to Dana 44 front drive axles.

A true 1964 Chevy 4x4 will have a 12 bolt rear axle, a Dana 44 closed Knuckle drum brake front axle, 3.73 gears stock and a divorced Rockwell T-case.

Last edited by just4cuz; 02-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Late 62 early 63 was the last of the HO 33 rear after that it was a 12 bolt. HO 33's had a 3.90 gear set and 12 bolts had 3.73's
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 242513
Yea sorry i cant figure out how to post pictures on here. The hubs are not like the napco ones. They are flush to the "axle" so im sure they need to be pushed in and find the snap ring
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 242513
http://s1045.beta.photobucket.com/user/mage0095/media/20120624_182707.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5[/IMG]

Last edited by mage0095; 02-06-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: picture not load
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 242513
ok apparently i dont understand pictures and the internet so we will go another way with it. Ive attached a link to the question i asked about it on 67-72chevytrucks.com. In that thread i used another person picture of a 3/4ton lockout and circled it showing what mine looks like. At least that gives us a starting point until i can figure out the upload situation. Thanks for hanging in there.

1964 K20 stock axles - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

1964 K20 stock axles - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
Sweet truck! Don't mind these boys. A little razzing is the norm. But I'd rather have more posts and the shit giving than no posts and a lame site. Someone should be able to help soon. There a ton of info on here..
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
mega hack!!

Member # 139150
sweet truck.

a closer shot of your hubs would be helpful; maybe some shots of the diff and take off a wheel for a shot of the whole knuckle.

if it were me i think i would find a later model dana 44 with disks and more modern locking hubs. i would rather have a diff i could find parts for and that i know will engage the hubs than something that might leave me stuck in the snow or mud. those old hubs might not work when you need them to. it's possible that it could get all scratched up trying to get unstuck.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com

now buy this guys cool chit^^^
sjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 98655
The 3/4 hubs I described in my first post are exactly the ones in your picture link. Yours are 1/2 ton and come apart just as I described. Used some spray lube or penetrating oil and leave them soak. To try to get them knocked loose so you can push them in enough to get to the ring. Get a short piece of 2x4 and give them a wack. Since the wood is some what soft it should not hurt anything and may shock the hub enough to move.

Last edited by just4cuz; 02-08-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 242513
Ok il try to get some close up pictures this weekend. Just4cuz do you know what later hubs i can use? would i need to be looking for internal 19spline count hubs off something? ( havent seen a lot of those ). and i only see on warn 3/4ton hubs for that year.
Im not sure about the rear end but i do have drum brakes and closed knuckles in the front.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 98655
I am not sure about later hubs. I just used and maintained my Warns. It is either the round expanding ring or the flat spiral ring that hold these in. If it is the flat spiral you can catch the end of it with a tiny screwdriver. I owned my 63 Chevy 1/2 ton in 1971-74 so its been a while since I have had these kind of hubs apart.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20147
did they have an allen screw or set screw holding the rotating hub cap onto the hub?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 242513
Sorry i wasnt able to get any pictures this weekend, i had to work, plus i busted the camera on my phone working on my cousins camaro, not that my phone takes pictures worth a damn being a flip phone and all haha.
I dont recall seeing any set screw, and have to imaging its like what Just4cuz was saying that its a snap ring.
I will keep looking on craigslist to see if someone is parting out their truck since im not too concerned about time at this point, or maybe pull them and see if they can be rebuilt. and waiting to hear back from a guy on another forum who says hes got an extra pair.
shelling out 300 bucks would make me sick, since id have to imaging i could get a later model axle with external hubs for that. Also im a cheap ass, Ive only got about a 800$ into the truck right now including a used 350(80k) for 200$ and the truck for 300$.
My plans for the truck are to make it cheap,reliable, and put more time then money into it. I just put new 1 1/2" thick wood in the bed that i got from my neighbor for free, It was what he had left over after building his house.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 98655
OK I did a dana 44 closed knuckle search and found a picture of an early Chevy with the Warn hubs like I had. In the picture you can clearly see the round expanding ring that holds the front hub in. It is a craiglist posting out of Columbus, Ohio. Its a Chevy 6 lug drum brake front axle. I have the picture saved on my computer and can e-mail it to you if you pm me your address.

Last edited by just4cuz; 02-16-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 192110
Why spend so much time on this? I am assuming parts aren't very easy to find..... Unless its a original resto just update it with newer axles that are cheaper and easier to find parts for? That's what I would do anyways.

Love the pic of that 59' Apache fleetside, first truck I ever owned. Not as pretty as that one tho.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 242513
I figured in the long run finding a used axle would come to bite me in that ass, but the short run side of it is, that theirs snow out right now and am dying to drive the truck around, and 2x2 doesnt work too well on the ice or snowy dirt roads.

Also in the future i will have a lot more money to put into the truck since i graduated college about a month ago. so as i was building it i was trying to spend as little as i could.

The reason ive been asking around for the hubs is because i assumed replacing hubs would be easier/cheaper than an axle. I've been using forums/teaching myself as i go with the truck the last few years and haven't had much experience with axles and hubs just yet (itl be the next thing i learn about.)

Just4cuz i looked at the Columbus craiglist of the dana 44 closed knuckle mudding axle and see the ring you are talking about. Thats exactly the hub type that i have.