Pirate 4x4 banner

TOTW #2 - Flippin' out: Doing a shackle flip on your Chevy!

34K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  WYJAX 
#1 ·
Alright lets see your info on doing a shackle flip. If you have questions this is the place to ask them.

#3 ·
I'm a cheap bastard. I cut a big ass hole in the bottom of the spring hanger, and stuck the shackle through it. I was gonna weld on some reinforcement, but haven't got around to in in the 6-7 since I did the flip job. Works for me. I used a 4" grinder because it was what I had, and later cleaned out the corners a bit with a torch in a buddy's driveway.

Pete

#4 ·
pcorssmit said:
I'm a cheap bastard. I cut a big ass hole in the bottom of the spring hanger, and stuck the shackle through it. I was gonna weld on some reinforcement, but haven't got around to in in the 6-7 since I did the flip job. Works for me. I used a 4" grinder because it was what I had, and later cleaned out the corners a bit with a torch in a buddy's driveway.

Pete
I have installed the ORD kit twice and it is a nice kit, but on my own rig, I'm with you. Cheap. Can't wait to ditch the blocks. Has anyone noticed if they move the axle forward in the fenderwell? I did one on a 67 and it did.

#6 · (Edited)
Ok this is really easy, I cut the front hangers off a 3/4 ton Chevy (thats the front hanger on the rear end) and replaced the rear ones my Blazer when I put the 57" Ford springs on.

Once I get my cage done I am going to make new shackles for a little more lift to even it out from the added weight.
Not only simple but stout to boot.

#7 ·
Most options I know have already been posted.

Not exactly a "flip" in the sense you mean but, just to throw another option out there...
http://www.springersuspensions.com/
Some don't like the "goofy shackles" or whatever name you want to call them, but, they do work very well from everything I've seen.

Another option can be found here

#8 ·
Ididn't notice if it move the axle forward, but it sure srcewed my pinion angles .I have 7 degree shim right now. One of these days I'll get off my lazy ass and remount my perches. I'm also going to do the F@rd leaf swap too. Just don't know if I can handle having F@rd parts on my rig.

Tice:D

#14 ·
Several guys on CK5 (including the guy who designed them, BorregoK5) are running them. Seems like they like them...

#17 ·
motorhead72k5 said:
Has anyone noticed if they move the axle forward in the fenderwell? I did one on a 67 and it did.
The axle on my '83 was centered in the fender well after my flip. However, I have seen several trucks where it moved forward, including my brother's '70 K5 (not too bad, though), and my buddy's '77 Power Wagon (pretty bad). If you have angled blocks that are angled at the top (as opposed to the bottom), the effect will be worse. The big factor is how high the rear end of the spring is compared to the front, stock vs. flipped, if they are level stock, the effect will be more than if the rear end is higher stock.

The pinion will need to be shimmed way down if using a non-CV driveshaft.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "springer" setups, I've never been impressed with them on the trail. More of a "ramp-champ" setup IMO.

BTW, nice shackle angle in the pic posted above. That is one advantage to replacing/relocating the hangers, as opposed to the cheap/lazy method I used.

Pete

#18 · (Edited)
I selected an ORD flip, for two reasons. It is very strong and I am not a fabricator, so it seemed like the best set-up for me. I installed them on the opposite sides they were designed for, and installed them back 2" from the original mounting location. I installed 57" Ford's on the truck and used a zero rate to compensate for the offset spring pin location (since the idea of drilling through the spring packs didn't appeal to me). I used the 1.5" offset which netted a total axle relocation of a .5" rearward. Definitely need to rotate my perches as it has affected my pinion angle. And I will probably need to flip my overloads in their original orientation because once the weight of the top and tools get back on there my truck probably won't sit level . However, I am very pleased with the set-up.

#19 · (Edited)
motorhead72k5 said:

I have installed the ORD kit twice and it is a nice kit, but on my own rig, I'm with you. Cheap. Can't wait to ditch the blocks. Has anyone noticed if they move the axle forward in the fenderwell? I did one on a 67 and it did.
I did a 4" ORD flip on a '70 K5 and then used a ORD zero rate to move the axle back 1.5"s to center it in the fenderwell. This pointed the pinon at the TC, perfect for a CV rear driveshaft.

#20 ·
When I did the flip and springs I put an add a leaf I had laying around in it too (the Ford springs are too soft imo). I have 6" springs in front and this set up was no where near 6" so I put 2 1/2" blocks in and milled the angle off the blocks so they were square. Now I need longer shocks.

#22 ·
73k5tony510 said:
im thinking about doing the shacle flip with chevy 63 inch springs.i think that the longer springs will give me the best articulation.ill take pics when its done.
I thought about doing that also Tony.Its going to throw your rear shackles way back.Which is going to cut your departure angle way down.Mine is reduced just by doing the ORD + 57"spring swap.Youll have to check it out.It will still strecth a 9012 completely out.I have about a 65* departure angle.

#24 ·
I built mine from the stock hangers and the work great.They have been on two trucks and lasted 4 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.