Flame on 44's - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 175439
Flame on 44's

Ok I'm sure it's coming so flame away, but Any useful advice would be appreciated. I posted this in newb section and didn't get many results. I have a k10 that I did a 1 ton swap on with ord crossover steering and a 6 inch lift.I am currently running 37x14x16 iroks which is fine with my 4.56 gears, but i have the chance to get some 44x19.5x15 boggers and trying to decide if I should get them or will it be way to much cutting to make them fit and how much will I have to grind calipers for 15" rims if I am running a stock Dana 60? If it is to big of a pain I thought about just ordering some 40x16x16 ltb any idea?
30backs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 73673
Best bet would be to read the dana 60 bible in the tech section
Stout Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 277090
I cant see grinding the calipers down to fit 15 inch rims as being wise.
Just my 2 cents.
Short change$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 183520
Either you don't care to cut and grind or you do.
Nothing wrong with either. No reported failures of calipers from grinding to fit 15" wheels to my knowledge.

If it's a cheap 6" lift, you won't have to cut as much due to not a lot of flex.
Probably have to push your axle forward though if it rubs the cab.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 228663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short change$$ View Post
I cant see grinding the calipers down to fit 15 inch rims as being wise.
Just my 2 cents.
It's been done thousands of times with no problems...just so you know

To the O.P., after watching my brother just put on 44" boggers onto his rig (with rockwells), I can see that 1-tons can hold up to 44's, but it usually takes some money, especially in the 60 (cromo's and 35 splines). There are a lot of things you are not taking into consideration by going with a tire that size. For one, you would at least need hydro assist steering or full hydro. Also, depending on your tcase set up, with 4.56's, you may find yourself wanting lower gears with 44's. If you already have a doubler, than you should be fine there. As far as fender trimming, with a 19.5 wide tire, be ready to chop a lot off, plus, you will most likely need to move the front axle forward or else the tire will get into the cab at stuff, not just the fender. My brother removed all his fenders and just tubed the front, had his axle about 2" forward to start, and it still wasn't enough. Like I was saying, there are a lot of things you are not taking into consideration by going with a tire that size. Research.....read and read until you think you can't stand it, and then do it some more

Last edited by Kay86K5; 12-13-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Kay86K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 183520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay86K5 View Post
Research.....read and read until you think you can't stand it, and then do it some more
I don't believe I have ever hit that point.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Steer Much?

Member # 182242
Grinding the calipers is pretty common actually. doesnt take too long, just leaves a mess. As previously stated, read the 60 bible.
Von Wilsonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 10903
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30backs View Post
...or will it be way to much cutting to make them fit...
This depends on your willingness to cut. It can be done, I've got 7" lift and 43's. Other guys on here have less lift with bigger tires. It's up to you whether you simply hack metal till they fit or you can make clean cuts.

Caliper grinding.........

Of course, the amount of backspacing the wheels have makes a world of difference on how much you have to grind. I've seen several guys do it.

With 4 5/8" backspacing the caliper had to be ground so much it split when he applied the brakes. He bought new rims.

With 3 1/2" backspacing there's a shit-ton of grinding but do-able.

With 2" backspacing almost no grinding needed but tis off set is extreme and hard on wheel bearings.

'91 K5 454, 4spd, Doubler, J76/70HD, 5.86's & 43's
Build Pics & Build Thread

happy..happy..happy....
nvrenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 277090
Quote:
It's been done thousands of times with no problems...just so you know

To the O.P., after watching my brother just put on 44" boggers onto his rig (with rockwells), I can see that 1-tons can hold up to 44's, but it usually takes some money, especially in the 60 (cromo's and 35 splines). There are a lot of things you are not taking into consideration by going with a tire that size. For one, you would at least need hydro assist steering or full hydro. Also, depending on your tcase set up, with 4.56's, you may find yourself wanting lower gears with 44's. If you already have a doubler, than you should be fine there. As far as fender trimming, with a 19.5 wide tire, be ready to chop a lot off, plus, you will most likely need to move the front axle forward or else the tire will get into the cab at stuff, not just the fender. My brother removed all his fenders and just tubed the front, had his axle about 2" forward to start, and it still wasn't enough. Like I was saying, there are a lot of things you are not taking into consideration by going with a tire that size. Research.....read and read until you think you can't stand it, and then do it some more
I can see doing that on a trail only rig.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 182131
[QUOTE=nvrenuf;22811153]This depends on your willingness to cut. It can be done, I've got 7" lift and 43's. Other guys on here have less lift with bigger tires. It's up to you whether you simply hack metal till they fit or you can make clean cuts.

Of course, the amount of backspacing the wheels have makes a world of difference on how much you have to grind. I've seen several guys do it.

With 4 5/8" backspacing the caliper had to be ground so much it split when he applied the brakes. He bought new rims.

With 2" backspacing almost no grinding needed but tis off set is extreme and hard on wheel bearings.[/QUOTE]

And scrub radius.

To the op. It will require a major upgrade of every thing you currently have to push 44s, boggers especially. If you have the resources and desire then do it, but I would advise against doing it on 15'' rims. The 40s would be a better choice, imo. J.
“Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.”
― John Adams
JK3078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 175439
Thanks for all the advice. I am starting to lean toward the 40's after reading all this.i have had 39.5's with minimal scrubbing and I believe if I went with 40 I could trim and make these work with out carving my entire rig up. This is just a family crawler something wife,kids and I play in so don't want to make it all hacked up trail rig only.
30backs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 228663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short change$$ View Post
I can see doing that on a trail only rig.
Nope, many people have done it on DD's too
Old 12-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 277090
[quote=JK3078;22814137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrenuf View Post
This depends on your willingness to cut. It can be done, I've got 7" lift and 43's. Other guys on here have less lift with bigger tires. It's up to you whether you simply hack metal till they fit or you can make clean cuts.

With 2" backspacing almost no grinding needed but tis off set is extreme and hard on wheel bearings.[/QUOTE]

And scrub radius.

To the op. It will require a major upgrade of every thing you currently have to push 44s, boggers especially. If you have the resources and desire then do it, but I would advise against doing it on 15'' rims. The 40s would be a better choice, imo. J.

Quote:
Nope, many people have done it on DD's too
Oh im sure they have, doesnt mean that its the most intelligent thing to do.
You did read the above comment right?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 228663
[quote=Short change$$;22821745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3078 View Post

Oh im sure they have, doesnt mean that its the most intelligent thing to do.
You did read the above comment right?
yep, I just take into account that just because someone says they do something, doesn't mean they did it right
Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 192711
If you were to grind so much you cracked your calipers.. then 1. your and idiot. and 2. you didn't factor in that 44x19.5's are so wide and huge you can't fit them worth a crap on a rim with more backspacing than 3". The extra couple of inches of width isn't going to cause as much strain on bearings as the size of the 44's will.

To fit 44's you will have to move the axle forward several inches, stick the tires as wide as you can, remove the inner fenderwells, and trim the shiz out of everything in the way. You will need full hydro or hydro assist with crossover steering. Steep gears in your axle, chromoly 35 spline shafts, good bumpstops etc etc. The list starts to get longer and longer. But that's all if you want to do hardcore wheeling.

If you want to hit a mud hole and drive down some dirt roads then throw an 8+" on it and read the mud section of the forum.

Just search, if the search function doesn't work, use google and end your search in pirate4x4
Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 182131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjef View Post
If you were to grind so much you cracked your calipers.. then 1. your and idiot. and 2. you didn't factor in that 44x19.5's are so wide and huge you can't fit them worth a crap on a rim with more backspacing than 3". The extra couple of inches of width isn't going to cause as much strain on bearings as the size of the 44's will.

To fit 44's you will have to move the axle forward several inches, stick the tires as wide as you can, remove the inner fenderwells, and trim the shiz out of everything in the way. You will need full hydro or hydro assist with crossover steering. Steep gears in your axle, chromoly 35 spline shafts, good bumpstops etc etc. The list starts to get longer and longer. But that's all if you want to do hardcore wheeling.

If you want to hit a mud hole and drive down some dirt roads then throw an 8+" on it and read the mud section of the forum.

Just search, if the search function doesn't work, use google and end your search in pirate4x4
Even mud will bust your shit up bad on stock tons. If you have any power at all that is.

I run 44 boggers on centered wheels and 9'' of lift. They don't clear well enough for anything but mud/snow. Inner fenders are cut to the max and the floorboards are sledged back a little and the body seam flattened.
I swap on 38's for the rougher stuff.
“Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.”
― John Adams
JK3078 is offline   Reply With Quote