1950 GMC one ton dually - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2003, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 14644
1950 GMC one ton dually

ok guys, i'm picking up a 1950 dually for my "future" tow rig it has the straight six in it, 4 speed manual, not sure what rear end. curious, does anyone know what rear ends/tranny's came in these? sm420? is this stuff (minus the motor) worth rebuilding? are parts available, will they be strong enough for a tow rig now being 53 years old? i'm going to drop in a BUILD 454 and I would like to keep it a 4 speed, but i do have a one ton th400 that i can use if need be. maybe a new sm465 or 420 would be better? are these older ones just as strong? the rear axle diff looks more round. it's a FF dually. i can't wait to get this thing going! any ideas? gonna be a bad ass tow rig!
greg
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2003, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
trans will be the sm420,47-67 on those transmissions. maybe eaton on the rear? not real sure.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2003, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 14644
ok, these are the plans....i think i've got a sm465 lined up for it. then i need to find an 80's 14 bolt dually. and a 454 to build. does anyone know where i can get restoration parts for this thing? body panel sections possibly? thanks!
greg
Old 08-03-2003, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7069
The rearend should be an Eaton 10 bolt like were used until about 72 on GM trucks. They are way strong, I wouldn't swap it if the gear ratio is good. You can get 3.90's and 4.10's for it and 5.14 should be stock on a dually. 4.57 and 5.87 were the other other factory gearsets. My Grandpa had a 48 Jimmy 3/4 ton that we abused as a wrecker. Towed a 60 passenger bus with it. Never had rearend troubles in the 44 years he had it.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14644
5.14's???? whoa! i think i'll be looking for some 4.10's. It looks mega beefy. Where can I get rebiuld parts for it? The brake drums on it are HUGE too. I was thinking about swapping out to some big Disk brakes if I couldn't find parts for the drums. I think I am going to find a one ton truck, pull the power brake system off it and a 454 out of one with all the vaccuum and such. Then I need to get some power steering set up going as well. I also need disks up front. The front solid axle with the leafs, should I worry about the axle? I haven't really gone over it yet, just figured I would be replacing stuff anyhow. Of course all steering will be replaced probably with the 1 ton TRE's from chevy. Disk brakes f/r, going to keep the factory wheels (that's the plan for now), BUT I may go with some ultra trick Weld wheels after it's all painted and perty. I found some places to order rust repair panels, but I am having trouble finding a replacement for the rear of the cab, where it is rounded at the bottom, it's rusted through, and the bottom of the door( which shouldn't be too difficult). It's definitely a project, but will be realy fun, and when it's done, going to be AWESOME . If anyone has any links to parts for this thing, please post up. THanks!!
Greg
Old 08-04-2003, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
Quote:
Originally posted by bignissan
5.14's???? whoa! i think i'll be looking for some 4.10's.you might want to check into a nv4500 for the OD It looks mega beefy. Where can I get rebiuld parts for it? The brake drums on it are HUGE too. I was thinking about swapping out to some big Disk brakes if I couldn't find parts for the drums. I think I am going to find a one ton truck, pull the power brake systemgo with a hydro-boost system you'll be much happier off it and a 454 out of one with all the vaccuum and such. Then I need to get some power steering set up going as well. I also need disks up front. The front solid axle with the leafs, should I worry about the axle? I haven't really gone over it yet, just figured I would be replacing stuff anyhow. the kingpin bushings are probably worn outOf course all steering will be replaced probably with the 1 ton TRE's from chevy. Disk brakes f/r, going to keep the factory wheels why not get the beam axle from an f450,along with the rear axle and run the 19.5 wheels from the f450...much better for hauling, you would get 4 wheel disc this way too. most of the f450's i've seen have 4.88 gears. (that's the plan for now), BUT I may go with some ultra trick Weld wheels after it's all painted and perty. I found some places to order rust repair panels, but I am having trouble finding a replacement i don't know what your budget is, but they do make fiberglass cabs for those for the rear of the cab, where it is rounded at the bottom, it's rusted through, and the bottom of the door( which shouldn't be too difficult). It's definitely a project, but will be realy fun, and when it's done, going to be AWESOME . If anyone has any links to parts for this thing, please post up.the best source of info is the street rod mags and catalogs THanks!!
Greg

Last edited by larryboy; 08-04-2003 at 05:58 PM.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2003, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14644
thanks!! i just picked up 3 mags...looking them over now...i may consider the fiberglass cab would be sweet! i like the f-450 idea! thanks!
greg
Old 08-04-2003, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14644
how much is an nv4500? where can i get one?
greg
Old 08-04-2003, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 14644
also, a link to a fiberglass cab would be nice...thanks
greg
Old 08-10-2003, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12744
possible eaton if not a torque tube, eaton good strength, harder to find, and sometimes costly.

run the 420 over the 465 since it is already in there and use the bellhousing and mounts.

anyone that puts F*** or F- on or near that truck doesnt have a prayer in life.

if your looking at that route look for the 2 ton and up version run the 22.5 and dual speed rears, pretty close to a direct swap, and nice wide front fenders.

I have seen a few 4x4 conversions that fit these nicely.

I have yet to see a decent fiber cab from any manufacture, but there are some good fenders and boards if you like fiber crap.

for the price of most nv4500 and conversion stuff to gm, you could buy a road ranger, or gear vendors od, dual range, etc..

street truck vacum,
crawlin, diesel, hydro

everything else can be found

kingpin do need a look at

email me for any other stuff,

I have three of this body style now.
H1 4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2003, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 14644
thanks! i've found replacement parts for the front beam axle (bearings and seals for the hubs) and for the rear axle as well, so it looks like as of now, I will probably be keeping the stock axles and just upgrading to disk brakes on them. I can get the power brake booster and such from some vendors. Also, as for motor and tranny, I'm not real sure if I should keep the 420 or get the 465 for $75, and I AM going to get a gearvendors because I like having the OD and gear splitting ability. As for motor, still going with a 454. Thanks!
greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.