Discussion Topic - Safety Concerns for the average trail rig. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2003, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
Discussion Topic - Safety Concerns for the average trail rig.

Food for thought.

The more we wheel the more safety becomes a concern. What are some of the issues you have had and how did you deal with them?
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2003, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24610
Send a message via Yahoo to mutant-jimbo
I haven't been too crazy with my ride (75 blazer), but i always winder if the factory roll bar is really worth a shit when it comes to a roll-over. i want a cage, but i want alot of things, and have to get each thing one at a time. what do you all think about the factory roll bar?
mutant-jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2003, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
good topic paul !! wiring,especially on older rigs. check things out once in awhile. on a driver the fire ext. should be in reach of the driver. i almost lost my willys wagon to a fire when i first got it years ago. cruising down the road i had a spark from under the dash,by the time i got it stopped i had flames up to my chest. made it around to the back for the extinguisher and managed to save the rig.

get a good fire ext and keep it handy.don't forget the yearly check, the powder tends to get pounded into the bottom reducing their effectiveness.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2003, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
A fire extinguisher is a definate must and it must be big enough to do some good. Watching your truck burn down isn't fun.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2003, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 82
IMHO, COMMON SENSE goes a long way when discussing safety.
...have the battery strapped down properly to prevent potential shorting out on the underside of the hood and causing a fire or electrical melt down...same idea with the carb and fuel lines....make sure they are secured away from the fan etc....
Steering.....is it booty fabbed?
Brakes....do all 4 of them (or at least 3 of them ) work properly?
Recovery equipment....do you have it?
Tools to fix your junk when it breaks?
geez...i sound like my Mom.....(is your jacket warm enough...you cant wear a short sleeve shirt in this weather.......don't crash )

Last edited by Mr. Happy...OK?; 11-23-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Mr. Happy...OK? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2003, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17602
wireing is a good idea. i have a 76 fj40 with a tbi 305

i don't know what is old yota motor wires and what is new tbi wires. i really need to take a day or so and figure it out but i dont have diagrams for either

i feel ya on the fire thing, i have a f250 and some brake line sensor crapped out and started on fire while i was eating lunch, it's a good thing a highway patrolman was there with an extinguisher or i would have had a show

where can i get one, what size, how much is a good extinguisher?? i really think i need one in my cruiser after my truck cought on fire, the fire was nothing serious but its enough to really make you think

also i have leather seats out of an oldsmobile with the seat belt latch hooked to the seat, but the old owner had the belt latches on the floor, i can't decide what to use?? the seat latches are only as strong as my seat bracket but the floor mount it only as strong as paper thin 30 year old metal.

also since we are talkin about saftey, i have a friend who has a lexan windshield on his cruiser, how many of you have something like this?? is this even safe?? it appears it would but i would like to hear something on it

sorry this is so long
bansheeboy182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2003, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17025
Fire exstingisure was the first safety item I bought when I bought my rig. I have it mounted on the center, front of the dash. I also have two battery hold downs, the factory one and an after market one. I had my battery fall once on a run and it landed on the little fan for the allternater. Put a huge hole in it.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8211
Safety is a very important topic for me. I wheel with my 16 year old son, and 12 year old daughter.

I have 4 racing style buckets (high sides to hold you in place) mounted to the cage with full harnesses in all positions. The extinguisher is mounted where it can be reached quickly from either side. The roll cage is solid and well triangulated, forming a sort of enclosing pod which can not push through the floor or rip away. Only glass is in the windshield, and that is safety glass. All fluid vents are plugged and valved to eliminate burns and fires. All objects are firmly secured using hard mounts or 1" ratchet straps. The battery is secured safely in the rear under the floor. I kept the radiator in front specifically to avoid the potential for burns. All critical mounts are inspected, tightened, adjusted, whatever before each trip. And if there is any identifiable danger, even just a likely flop, everyone gets out except me, though I do sometimes let my son talk me into letting him ride as long as it's nothing likely worse than a flop...

85 K30 truggy, 350 TBI, TH350, 203/205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 42" TSLs, 4" lift, 112" wheel base, front leafs, rear double triangulated 4 link with coils.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2003, 12:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21220
Send a message via AIM to Dayswon
wear a Freaken seatbelt. the more i see people hurt from wheeling the more i make people wear theirs. but still people dont and they deserve to be hurt!!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayswon
wear a Freaken seatbelt. the more i see people hurt from wheeling the more i make people wear theirs. but still people dont and they deserve to be hurt!!
I agree! If you look at all the deaths associated with wheeling I have noticed that all of them have this in common, "driver (or passenger) didnt appear to be wearing his/her seat belt." I am not saying you need to have a 5 point harness but at least wear your seat belt. That said I have built a family cage (hopefully it will be tied into the frame next week) and plan on full on aftermarket seats this year. I take my kids with me (6,9and 12) so safety is a top priority. I carry 2 fire extinguishers when I wheel as well and try to fasten everything down so if I do roll my High Lift doesnt kill me.

Last edited by spoolnaround; 04-27-2004 at 09:47 PM.
spoolnaround is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2004, 11:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 18806
Send a message via ICQ to KaceCoyote Send a message via AIM to KaceCoyote
TIE SHIT DOWN.
If its in the rig, it needs to be STRAPPED FIRMLY TO THE FUCKIN FLOOR.
I've seen more billy bob rednecks hurt by just flying misc shit than I care to recount. In rollovers, in almost rollovers, in hitting bumps, in emergency stops, in steep descents or off camber bits. Its not always just the dumbasses its easy to forget to strap that 15lbs crowbar back in place You sure wont be real smart after it gouges out grey matter in a nasty rollover.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19297
Send a message via Yahoo to leadfoot067
great topic....i used to think i over packed stuff in my rig..till me and 3 others were all stuck in the snow,we wer there all night....i had my kids with me they were 5 and 8 at the time...i alwaya carry 2 heavy blankets..lukily for my kids they stayed warm in the rig all night...i also had alot of extra food that i shared with everyone,i had 4 pairs of gloves in the truck that all got used,2 rain slicker things that will fit in your pocket...one kept me dry in the snow all night,i also have a small hand warmer thingy that was a favorite that evening...ALWAYS GO PREPARED!!! i pack even more stuff with me ever since...coulda used another blanket for myself and a dry pair of shoes and socks...thats my .02cents worth
leadfoot067 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 26894
Send a message via ICQ to Smash-K20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy...OK?
geez...i sound like my Mom.....(is your jacket warm enough...you cant wear a short sleeve shirt in this weather.......don't crash )
Not as funny as it sounds, 4 years ago during our spring mud run a young fellow wandered off from the main group and went up a side trail where he got stuck. He left his rig and tryed to take a shortcut through the woods to return to the main group on foot for help. He got lost in the woods and was found the next morning frozen to death 300 yards from the main trail.

For automotive fire extinguishers I highly recommend this stuff....

http://www.firefreeze.com/site/page13.cfm

I'v seen it work and it's far more affective than an ordanary extinguisher. It's what I keep in my rig and shop.

[QUOTE=Entropy]Please, Rip isn't big enough to make me mumble. I could sing the Star Spangled Banner without a skip sucking Rip's dick.[/QUOTE]
Smash-K20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 13290
Excellent topic, so I'll add my reiterating $.02

Fire extinguisher, or two, in the cab where you can get them quick. Flashlight, that works. Wear your seatbelt. Don't be an idiot.

Tie or lock down everything. I run my craptacular factory battery hold down, with a ratchet strap to back it up. I keep the heavy crap in my crossbox (not a lot of crossboxes on full trail rigs, but ammo cans, coolers, something bolted down & securable helps.) I have padlocks holding the crossbox lid shut, and eyebolts with padlocks to hang onto the highlift. They rattle, so what? They hold very nicely.

Keep things tight - check steering, brakes, wheel lugs, u joints, brake lines, oil lines, shady wiring, etc etc etc more often than you want to in order to prevent bad things from starting. Picture mom saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

I also pack extra fluids, extra accessory belt, a pair of Carharts, gloves, hat, and a good map... in every vehicle I drive aside from my bike.

-Nate

My $.02 on Lexan - I use the impact & scratch resistant stuff to replace my Grandpa's tractor windows. You don't get the glass flavored explosion of safety glass, or the shards stuck in your arms & face, but if something does come right through it, it'll be pushing a plastic dagger at you very quickly. With glass, it'd be a glass covered stick or rock, so I'd run either. It takes a bigger whack to break lexan, from what I've seen.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 1999
Send a message via ICQ to jeeplvr
Where can I find a fire ext with a roll bar mount/clamp for my buggy?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 8211
I used the wall mount secured to the cage with hose clamps. It has yet to pop loose a single time.

85 K30 truggy, 350 TBI, TH350, 203/205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 42" TSLs, 4" lift, 112" wheel base, front leafs, rear double triangulated 4 link with coils.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2004, 04:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1999
Send a message via ICQ to jeeplvr
I guess I should clarify that I am looking for an extinguisher with a billet mount. I have found some but the cheapest mount I have found is over 100.00
http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...l#Anchor-10035

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.