Pirate 4x4 banner

DJZ BLAZER

66K views 414 replies 48 participants last post by  Cheepin 
#1 ·
My precious....:grinpimp:

1972, 350, 4 speed granny low, Dana 44, 12 bolt, 4 inch Superlift.

See less See more
#2 ·
Need to fix the frame at the steering box..DIY??

What about gas? Will today's gas screw it up??
Should I run additive? What type?

Motor oil, non detergent??

Probably gonna throw a Lock right in the back

How strong is the 44? Running 33's and plan on mostly desert exploring with it.

Want to keep it as reliable as possible. No fuel injection or ECU.
Want to be able to fix it out in the middle of the desert. I'll carry spare everything... Carb, coil, distributor, plug, wires, and so on...

#17 · (Edited)
I doubt you need to do anything to the frame for the steering box. They have a crossmember that the steering box bolts to from the factory. Should be plenty strong for a recreational wheeler.

Also, if you have to do a water pump, those have a short water pump, no matter what the parts guys say, at least if it's the original brackets.

FYI, that is a relatively rare truck. CST was the top model blazer(Cheyenne was for pickups only) Also has factory air and the rear side panels. If its the original glove box, should have all the options on the sticker inside. I have basically the same rig, only mine is a rusty pos. Still on the fence on restoring it, vs making it into a wheeler.

Edit: did some asshole put speakers in the rear panels? Those things are like hens teeth.

#7 · (Edited)
She's a beaut. :smokin:

How you like those Cooper SST's?

#10 ·
I haven't even started it yet...:lmao:

Was that on Craigslist in Nor-Cal? I swear there was one identical to that recently. Nice rig.
I don't think so. I got it in Big Bear.

#12 ·
I'm not sure when Chevy went to hardened exhaust seats, but 72 might have them. If the engine has been replaced you are probably ok as far as running unleaded gas. I would just run it until you start to notice the power going away and swap the heads out assuming the short block is ok. Look inside the valve covers, if it has lots of sludge you might run non-detergent oil. If it's relatively clean just run detergent diesel engine oil, it has lots more zinc than gasser oil even though it's less than it used to have.
Travis..

#18 ·
Only option missing is the factory tach.

#20 ·
And... so it begins.

My driver side axle, joint and I think stub shaft are fried in the Dana 44...

Is there a Dana 60 that just pops right in there???
Leaf perches that are the correct width??
If not, what's closest??

And while we're at it, how bout a 14 bolt for the rear....:evil:

#24 ·
It will stay as clean as it is. Or at least I'll try. For the price of fixing the 44 I can almost pick up a 60 out of the junkyard. After doing the math last night and realizing it won't fit in the garage with anymore lift I'll probably just stay with what I have for now. I did the whole Dana 35 and 30 builds just to realize I needed more didn't want to repeat my mistake.

#27 · (Edited)
I remember your Jeep you sold in 2013. Been a chevy man since 1965 -they started putting hardened seats in the heads in 1974/1975. You can run leaded (VP) race fuel as an additive; saves the valve seats, esp. on a hot day. believe it or not, they sell it at my local AMPM, on the 86, (Salton City) right out of the regular pumps on the fuel islands! You can get 5 gal. cans at most motorcycle shops, too.Even a very small percentage (say, less than 2%) will lube those seats and guides and prevent "sunken exhaust valves". I used to run a half tank of leaded race fuel thru the motor, just to accelerate the process of coating the valve seats and guides with the protective lead, then use a 5% as an additive. Since your '72 doesn't have to pass any smog checks, i know you're gonna have fun bolting on all the stuff the later (1974 and up) model owners can't. I would go with a torque cam, 3310 Holley, dual-plane aluminum intake, single wire distributor and small tube headers. Congrats on a great find! If you want to make a crawler out of it, just find another body, so the collectors don't get their panties in a bind, LOL!!! Question: is your wife gonna drive it? I don't let anyone drive mine!!!

#35 ·
Great build I'll be following it. I started on a pretty clean (not this clean) 71 Blazer. It was a small block 400, th350, eaton 8 lug rear end with disk brakes and a dana 44 with 8 lug 3/4 hubs on the front. Now I have all one ton for it 60/14 th400 and a LS from Turn key.

It's now a shell sitting in storage, No time to start going to the next level. If you decide not to re build our front axle and want my complete front axle I can send you pictures of it and the gears, I'd make you a deal on it. I'd pull it out, if your in Palm Springs I could damn near drop off the front axle. I do so cal to Havasu all the time. Blazer is in storage in Parker right now until I find time to work on it again. I'll be selling the eaton rear as well if you wanted to go bigger on the rear as well.

Your going to leave it that height with 33's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.