vacuum modulator 700r4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24306
Send a message via AIM to Juice
vacuum modulator 700r4

so i took my truck to Firestone today, i have a buddy there.. he's checking out my truck and said that it could be the vacuum modulator... sooooo i did some searching and this came up: If the vacuum modulater is hooked to the wrong port it can do funny things with the shift timing. Basically if there is no vacuum to the modulator the trans will shift very late (high rpm). If you have too much vacuum then you will have early (low rpm upshifts). I guess if the governor was not working properly or if its set to shift at like 7000 rpm then it may not shift up at all."

Basically if there is no vacuum to the modulator the trans will shift very late (high rpm). now that is exactley what my truck is doing.. so hopefully this is whats wrong.
as for my question, how can i fix this myself and not spend a crap load of money at some auto repair place??
any info would be great..
btw, 700r4 tranny!
-Juice
EDIT:just got off the phone with Firestone, they are telling me that i need a new governor.. its shot. so they have to order it from the dealer, about $150 bucks installed out the door.. that a good deal??

Last edited by Juice; 04-01-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
Your buddy is a dumbass.

700s don't have a vacuum modulator.

Check for proper TV cable operation.

I've never heard of the govenor going out, but its certainly possible. The part is ~$22 from the dealer, and takes about 15 minutes to install, including the time it takes to put on your grubbies, and then clean up afterwards.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."
pcorssmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25738
Send a message via Yahoo to big83chevy4x4
never seen a governer shot, either the valve is stuck or the gear is gone. the cover on the driver side near the rear is the governer. pry the cover off and pull the governer out. look at the gear, if the gear is good try moving the valve around, if its kinda sticky, the you need to remove the gear by using a punch and drive the roll pin out. work the valve out and clean inside the bore and the valve with a scotch brite pad. put the valve back in the way it cam out and reinstall the gear. put is back in and try it.

the gear is 2.50
a brand new governor is 31.60
email me if you want these
big83chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 24306
Quote:
Originally posted by big83chevy4x4
never seen a governer shot, either the valve is stuck or the gear is gone. the cover on the driver side near the rear is the governer. pry the cover off and pull the governer out. look at the gear, if the gear is good try moving the valve around, if its kinda sticky, the you need to remove the gear by using a punch and drive the roll pin out. work the valve out and clean inside the bore and the valve with a scotch brite pad. put the valve back in the way it cam out and reinstall the gear. put is back in and try it.

the gear is 2.50
a brand new governor is 31.60
email me if you want these
damn wtf am i thinking! now is this right behind the transmission, just in front of the t-case? its round kinda between the the case and tranny? if so, why the hell would they charge so much??
i called a tranny shop, and he said that part was about $60 and would get me out the door for $125... so please let me know on this, any pics or drawings would be great!
-thanx
Jucie
Old 04-01-2004, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25738
juice, your pm box if full so ill reply here

yes, its that easy. what kinda help do you need? ill be here most of the night and can help you walk you through it.

now to reply to the post,
Quote:
damn wtf am i thinking! now is this right behind the transmission, just in front of the t-case? its round kinda between the the case and tranny? if so, why the hell would they charge so much??
yep, its behind the pan, but infront of the adapter and on the side.
they charge so much because no buddy knows much about autos and so people will pay that to get it fixed.
i have a tranny case, governer, and cover here that i will gets pics of to help you on this.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 24306
Quote:
juice, your pm box if full so ill reply here

yes, its that easy. what kinda help do you need? ill be here most of the night and can help you walk you through it.

now to reply to the post,

yep, its behind the pan, but infront of the adapter and on the side.
they charge so much because no buddy knows much about autos and so people will pay that to get it fixed.
i have a tranny case, governer, and cover here that i will gets pics of to help you on this.
alright i cleared my box and pm'd u..as for the whole help thing, i can get my "old man" to help me out, he says he kinda knows about that stuff and actually thought about that in the beginning.. but if you have pics, that would help out a bunch

thanks man
Old 04-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4406
Now that I think about it a little more, I have actually seen a worn out governor, but not on a Chevy. I bought a '90 Taurus that wouldn't shift out of 1st gear, the plastic gear on the end of the governor was worn to the point it looked like an apple core. Threw a new one in and it worked fine.

bigchevy guy is correct on his descriptions.

Good luck.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."
pcorssmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 24306
well, i did some calling around, called the chevy dealers, they have the parts for sale (ranging from $37-$46 where i called) but the parts would have to be special ordered.. and would take 4-5 days to get here so i dont have 4-5 days to wait, just got a new job and start monday..so i called this tranny place here in town, i guess he's been around 4ever (Georges Automatic Transmission and Parts) he has the part, in stock for $60+tax..

so i think im gonna bight the xtra 20 bucks and go get the part right now, and hopefully toss it in tomorrow!!

so thats the progress so far ... good but still
-Juice
Old 04-02-2004, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25738
ill get those pics in a few minutes, most likely the gear is worn, just pop it out and take it to the tanny shop and have them put a new gear on it, its alot cheaper than a new governer.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 25738
pics are here
http://community.webshots.com/album/130715792IpencT
Old 04-03-2004, 12:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5110
Just go and get 1 (or 2) from the j/y and toss one in. $60 sound like way too much to me...but I am a cheep bastard. You could go into a u-pull-it type place with just a screwdriver in your hand and pull out a few. Just take the one that look in the best shape and call it good. If you have a spare you can start messing with the shift points (if they arn't where you like them) and still have one that is stock if you go too far.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 24306
Quote:
pics are here
http://community.webshots.com/album/130715792IpencT
hey man ur awesome.. thanks for the pics.. i ended up just getting a new governor for the $60 bucks, so i'm gonna go toss it in now, and see if it works.. anything specific i should look for, or does it jsut slide out, and new one in?
thanx again
-Juice
Old 04-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 25738
yep just slide out and slide in, you will have to twist it though, because of the helicut gears.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 24306
UPDATE:
so i got the governor, took the old one out.. tossed the new in one, went all fine and dandy.. moment of truth.. test run!

going going... reving up, still not fawking shifting?????????? WTF? i changed the governor, replaced the kick down linkage cable (not today, but about 3 months ago)

so now all i can think of, is maybe the TV cable is out of wack...??

any suggestions, anybody??

- Juice
Old 04-03-2004, 03:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 27264
do you have the tv cable adjusted corectly?
1982 Toyota pick up. Custom flat bed, Cage over bed, soon to be full exo cage, 4 link rear with xj coils, warn m8000, corbeua racing seats and 5 point harnesses, 37"SSR, 8" toyota axles front and rear. WElded rear and lock rite up front
82YOYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 24306
Quote:
Originally posted by 82YOYO
do you have the tv cable adjusted corectly?
see im not sure, im kinda lost on how to adjust it?!? any pointers?
Old 04-04-2004, 08:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 5110
Read all 3 parts of this then go and screw with it.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.html