Violent shimmy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 864
Violent shimmy

I'm working on trying to rid my front end of a violent shimmy and am about out of ideas, so I thought I would check in for some help here. The front is a Dana 60 out of 80's pickup I think (could be late 70's). When I hit a bump the front end goes into an extremely violent side to side shake. I thought this would be an excessive caster problem so I shimmed it to 4.5 degrees of positive caster. All the tierod and draglink ends are new. No steering stabalizer, no sway bar. Any ideas? I believe the wheel bearings and king pins are all okay. What are other possible sources of this? Steering box slop? It seems to have less than an eigth of a turn slop sitting still. Any help or solutions to similar problems would help. I am thinking of putting on a dual cartridge steering stabilizer to see if that helps. I was quoted 150 for one of these locally...how does that compare to others?
adryden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2004, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 23607
i think a steering stabilizer would help alot.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2004, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Many people put fender washers under their upper trunon caps to tighten up the front end (I think 1/2" washers with a 2"OD). Do a quick search for it and you should find the info. I've seen up to 3 washers per side used.

You could also use hydro assist.

You say excesive caster problems... you want more return to center to help get rid of death wobble... I forget witch was is positive but you want to tilt your pinion down to create more return to center.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 15635
I had the same problem after my 60 swap. I put 2 stabilizers on it and now she drives like a honda Although I think one will do the trick.

1975 k5 BB462 th400 dual 60s and stuff
Big-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2004, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 21461
Send a message via AIM to thundr undrgrond
put the washers in....i have them in both my 60s. took out the wobble instantly. h have no stabilizers or swaybar. the springs in the kingpin tend to loose some tension over time. bigger tires make it noticable
thundr undrgrond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5472
What size tires are you running? balanced? I am running a set of 38.5/14.5 SX's that seem like they are square, one steering stabilizer didnt do #%$! I rebuilt everything in the front end (springs, bushings and bearings) but the actual king pin, didnt help at all. I have hydro assist now and it works great. If you decide to go this route call http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html He is a nice guy and took care of me.

Last edited by spoolnaround; 04-13-2004 at 10:17 PM.
spoolnaround is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5472
balancing powder doesnt work worth a damn, so dont waste your $$ on it.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 21461
i use a powder called equal, and ive had nothing but good results with it. has helped with a shake/shimmy...just need to use the right amount. shim the kingpins before u waste any money on it...please it costs only a few washers, and takes like 30minutes wth hand tools and beer. try it!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 864
I ended up buying new springs and bushings for the upper king pins at the local Dana/Spicer supply place (Bayshore truck for those interested). For new springs, bushings, gaskets, and retainer for both sides the bill was 21 dollars...can't beat that!! One spring that I took out was broke...so there went a major contributor to the wobble. On the other side the spring was about 3/16 shorter than the new one. Both bushings were rounded out. This is a super, super easy fix....it only took an hour or so from start to driving...anyone with a king pin dana 60 should do this. Since the parts are so cheap i would just replace the parts and stick with the stuff that is supposed to be in there...but if you can't get the springs washers should work. Anyways, didn't fix all the DW...at the right speed if you jerk the wheel back and forth you can still get it excited. So I added a dual stabilizer kit...that seems to have fixed...but I would have prefered to get it all out without that. Oh well. This was an extremely easy job...everyone should do this to their 60!! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and for the helpful search tool!!
P.S. The tires have all been balanced...
adryden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21461
yea i can get the whole kits for 36$, thats wth the lower bearing and seal, but i still run the washer, it puts a little more tension on the kingpin, and that helps alot when it comes to having the forces a 38''tire creates on it. like i said, i have nothing else, and absolutely no problems
Old 04-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 27003
Send a message via Yahoo to acprokeith
equal tire balancing powder works, if you use enough (10 ounces per 38" tire) ... i dont have hardly any vibes... when i had weights the tire would bounce all over the place.... the only thing it doesnt do is make a swamper run like an all terrain...some people think that it is a miracle solution that cures all, and get mad when their swampers dont run like they are a/t's..

Last edited by acprokeith; 04-18-2004 at 02:00 PM.
acprokeith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2004, 12:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 20902
A search for "Death Wobble" on coloradok5.com will bring up lots of information on the "shimmy" and possible causes :-)
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.