Pirate 4x4 banner

Small Block running BAD after wheelin

689 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  chevy91 
#1 ·
Well, finally got my cab swap done, and my front suspension moddified with rear springs in it. The maiden voyage, everythign went Amuck..

Went through some water/mud, now the thing will barely pull itself along in low and it backfires out of the exhaust every once in a while, and also out of the carb.

I took the cap off, and there was a little bit of water in it, so i dried it out and let it sit for a few hours. I took all my plug wires off and made sure they were clean. Pulled the air cleaner, and there was no dirt/water inside of it, or in the carb.

Well, my question is, what should I check next? What would get wet that I haven't listed already that would make it run like shit? BTW, this happened about 5 days ago, and it still runs horrible, so I know all of the water is dried up now.

The motor is also really laggy just to free rev, I'm pretty sure this has to be something electrical but not positive....

Any insight would be great, and as always, it's appreciated.

#3 ·
ive killed a couple ignition modules, maybe get autozone to check it for ya... other than that just dry it out and check the timing...also make sure you didnt get a bunch of crap in your carb, duh...also check the connection to the magnetic pickup in the distributor ,,,mine went bad and ran real funny..backfired intermittently. ran like it had 3 dead cylinders...and that stupid little round deeleewhopper that is right next to the vacuum advance pot..it looks like a little can with one wire goin in it...forgot what its called but i had probs with mine... autozone has a complete dist. for $100... maybe that would be best if yours is old...i go thru deep water often, with a snorkel but some crap always gets past the siliconed dist. cap....hope this helps

#4 ·
Make sure that your timeing chain didn't jump a tooth.

My Firebird did that one day, just decided to jump 2 teeth wile backing out of a friends driveway. I actually got the thing home that way too! (about 3-4mi.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.