Relocated and re-worked gas tank area on K5 truggy thing.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13381
Send a message via Yahoo to KidJethro
Relocated and re-worked gas tank area on K5 truggy thing..

The flange thing on the side of the tank sits on the pieces of ange welded to the frame. The lid sits on top of the flange and is bolted to the bottom piece of angle, which clamps the tank in place. Still gotta run the vent, over flow and fuel lines. Almost done with this phase.

Had to use the tractor to push it up the ramp...I know, kinda "poserish" but I did learn a few things. The front 42's are like 1/2" from the firewall in this pic. Goin with 52" rear springs up front to help that problem and relocate the 60 forward a bit.

Before ya'all jump on the "gay" lookin ramp...My club just picked it up and sent it to me to be modified to 30* and add some side supports for stability. It used to be one of those ramp things you see at dealerships with H2's parked on them..lol
KidJethro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2004, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 19372
Send a message via AIM to SlamChops Send a message via Yahoo to SlamChops
that junk looks awesome dude. bout what i had in mind for mine. just now ive seen it done.

the ramp shot got me good, i got a good chuckle out of seein it pushed up by the tractor. looks like it works though!

[URL=http://www.lockitupoffroad.net]Lock It Up Off-Road[/URL]
SlamChops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2004, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21358
I did something similar to my '73 a couple of years ago. My truck has a divider behind the seats so it's kind of like a pickup. No front end sheet metal except the hood and nothing behind the divider except a small portion of the bed. That's where the stock tank was moved and I have a storage box covering it that comes up to about top of body height. I am now in the process of moving the radiator about where the front of your tank sits.

Tires will rub worse if the wheels are turned. I had that problem with 3" body lift, 4" suspension lift and 38's. I tapered the area behind the wheels in as much as I could and still get my feet in to drive the thing and it helped a lot. The rockers are also tapered in to the body support channel. Wish I had a digital camera, I'd post some pics.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13381
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamChops
that junk looks awesome dude. bout what i had in mind for mine. just now ive seen it done.

the ramp shot got me good, i got a good chuckle out of seein it pushed up by the tractor. looks like it works though!
Thanks for the good words...lol, much better than what I got in General 4x4. I know I took a risk posting there...oh well. heh

Here's a shot of the firewall clearance..

Like I said, I'm most likely going to use the 52" rear springs up front, which locates it 2" forward. Might even add in an off-set zero rate for another 1.5". Sandmans truck got me thinkin about the 52's. Waaaay cheap mod, adds mucho flex and solves the clearance problem.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 19372
my ~5" suspension + 3" body rubs 38s, i could do the bumpstop thing, but i'm gonna join the bandwagon and give the 52s a shot.

you got an y pics of where you chopped it at the back? on the floorboard or up higher like where the rear seat mounted?

your fuel lines. are the stock ones too short now? what do you plan on doing, just reroute all new hard lines?

Old 05-11-2004, 01:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13381
On the back, It used to be like this..

But I got pissed off while working on the gas tank thing fighting with the fenders bein in the way, so out came the sawz-all. Much easier to work on now. This is the best picture I have of that-

About 18" behind the cab. I was originally gonna tack the fenders back on in the same place, but after lookin at it like it is now, I might just hack the rest off right at the cab and tube it. Maybe figure out a way to hang the skins off the tube or something.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 19372
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJethro
About 18" behind the cab. I was originally gonna tack the fenders back on in the same place, but after lookin at it like it is now, I might just hack the rest off right at the cab and tube it. Maybe figure out a way to hang the skins off the tube or something.
Haha, that's my same thinking... just tube it and skin it.. I rememebr the pics of it dovetailed, then its all cut up... fawkin cool man

Old 05-11-2004, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14169
Looks good!

I've been thinking about moving my tank forward so it climbs better but am unsure of what to do yet.

Moving the axle forward should do the trick. I just have the 52" springs and a 1" body lift. The 39.5" clear just fine and I think 42"s would also work.

[URL=http://www.planet4x4.net]Planet 4x4[/URL]
SandmanII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2004, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 27170
That is awesome, I like the mount with angle iron and the box looks great, like one you would by from summit.

Are you fuel injected? If you are what are you doing about extending your high pressure lines? I want to move my tank up aswell. I was thinking of putting it just rear of where the floor steps up after the seats. Half above the floor and half below. My problem is what to do about the fuel lines so any help would be appreciated.
88GAK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3196
Thats an easy one!!! Go to NAPA and buy the 12" (I think) steel line extentions. I cant remeber the specifics, but the feed was bigger than the return. On my S-10 swap, I moved my tank directly above its factory location, and made hold downs out of 1"x1/8" flat stock. I was lost about the fuel lines, and was considering custom steel braided ones until I found the extensions at NAPA.....Works great.

There may be a few pics on my member page at Coloradok5.com.....my user name over there is yeild2me (note the spelling difference)

Hope this helps

Rob
UTV #1999

MJ Motorsports
yield2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2004, 02:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13381
I'm not injected....It'll be runnin a Truck Avenger 770 on a 413bbc when it's finished....If it ever gets done....It hasn't moved under it's own power in almost a year and a half.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19206
Send a message via AIM to browncow
Nice looking gas tank mount thingy. In my suburban, i have the gas tank mounted(but not yet solidly) in a similar area. The thing holding it in was the bumper. Going up a hill my bumper fell off. Then my gas tank decided to follow suit. Never quit running though. The ten feet of line definitely helped out with that.

P.S. Used coca cola line from home depot for .37 a foot. hasn't eaten through it yet.

Sawzall = Fun!
browncow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.