14b Gov Lock or Detroit - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28684
14b Gov Lock or Detroit

I've seen posts talking about 14b Gov Loks, but have also seen 14b military axles advertised as having detroit lockers. Are people calling the gov lock a detroit or are they the same thing. How can you tell the difference? Would axles from the M1008 chevy trucks with D60/14b have the detroit?
Thanks- Charlie
scout_on_38s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2004, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14169
They are different. The Gov Lock can be a real peice of junk. It has mixed reviews but I've seen them blow apart pretty easily. The detroit is aftermarket and is very good and stong. The military used them and that is why you can get a detroit in a military axle.

[URL=http://www.planet4x4.net]Planet 4x4[/URL]
SandmanII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2004, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 23607
yep my d60 and 14bff is from a military k30 and the 14bff came with a detroit in it
Old 05-23-2004, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17568
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout_on_38s
I've seen posts talking about 14b Gov Loks, but have also seen 14b military axles advertised as having detroit lockers. Are people calling the gov lock a detroit or are they the same thing. How can you tell the difference? Would axles from the M1008 chevy trucks with D60/14b have the detroit?
Thanks- Charlie

The GOV LOC has mixed reviews, but it's very simple, it's all about the size of the tire.
The detroit is much stronger but if you have the GOV LOC and you are not putting huge tires on it you should be fine.
The military M1008 all came with the detroit locker when they had a locker, I can't confirm that all had lockers.
The m1009 AKA K5's had the GOV LOC which was good enough for the military on 31" and light vehicle.
imiceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2004, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 30687
Send a message via Yahoo to jimihammerd
I believe the option code for the Gov-Loc is G80. The Gov-Loc is a POS when compared to the Detroit for the 14bff. I have a Detroit in my D60 and on in a 14bff and couldn't be happier. If the axles ARE really from a military truck, it should have a Detroit. I beleive the Gov-Loc is a replacement carrier while the Detroit just replaces the spider gears in your current carrier. Best way to tell is pull the cover and see if it is a regular carrier minus the spider gears or the "cone-shaped" gov'loc carrier

Chris
jimihammerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.