v8 swap help?..... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2004, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
plasma dust huffer

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
v8 swap help?.....

so i have never actually installed a v8 by it self only ever helped people do it and we always did the tranny at the same time. well my truck blew its motor and i have to swap it out by my self and im only changing the motor. this is on a 91' k2500 Chevy truck. if anyone has some tips fro me on things i should do and things not to do i would be very thankful. this starts tomorrow........ cant wait to have my truck back.... also about how long does this normally take you guys?... thought would ask incase i need to reschedule my life ahah....

www.exit0customs.com

Offering in House Custom CNC Plasma cutting services, we can take your idea from design to your doorstep.

have a sketch you want to become parts for your project? pm me, i can help. parts are shipping out daily

"it makes the mach5 look like a vagina" - ARCHER
carslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 30640
Send a message via AIM to Livewire
Label everywire. Use plastic baggies for seperate bolts, LABEL them!

My friend did a motor swap and put all the bolts in a coffee can, what a dumbass...
Old 06-16-2004, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26344
Send a message via AIM to convict Send a message via Yahoo to convict
I pulled a carb'd chevy 350 out of my jeep, rebuilt and put it back in and took about a week. The block was at the machine shop for four days. This was my first engine pull and rebuild. The one thing that I would do different is take my time labeling everything before I pull the motor. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where everyting went . Also make sure you have all the parts that you need to order before you start makes putting it together a lot quicker.

EDIT: what livewire said It might help if I read the whole post before responding

still planning!!

Last edited by convict; 06-16-2004 at 02:04 PM.
convict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
plasma dust huffer

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
put in like a whole whopping 2 hrs today ........ went to get gaskets after i worked on letting fluids out and starting to remove the easy stuff..... and wow in the state of Texas i cant seem to get a freaking gasket kit..... boy this is going to be fun.... 2 parts stores cant get a kit in under 2 weeks 1 cant get a gasket kit in under a week..... what gives is this a motor that is u know.... not ever going to die so no one has parts?.......... ug...... joy...... any how thanks guys!

www.exit0customs.com

Offering in House Custom CNC Plasma cutting services, we can take your idea from design to your doorstep.

have a sketch you want to become parts for your project? pm me, i can help. parts are shipping out daily

"it makes the mach5 look like a vagina" - ARCHER
carslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8325
Send a message via AIM to burnt-kat
advice <maybe a bit late now>:

get a pack of ziplock bags and a sharpie. Label every subassembly and put the bolts in the bag. IE: AC bolts, power steering bolts, etc. Put a note about any wierd locations <short bolt goes under unit, that sort of thing>

I replaced the 4.0 in my Jeep in my apartment parking lot in 3 days. Most of that was spent avoiding the resident manager. No longer a problem since I have a garage now.
burnt-kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 32441
a digital camera or camcorder can help too! You may find good places to get things online were they can deliver to you so that you have them within a few days.
asnowsquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 26545
Send a message via AIM to Beater_K20 Send a message via Yahoo to Beater_K20
i've changed one before in 20 minutes with the help of 2 friends. mind you this was in a demolition derby car between the heat and the feature. pulled the engine out of our car, and a few other guys unbolted the engine out of the donor car. used a towtruck boom to lift it out, had everything rewired (ignition, starter, alternator) and the stacks on it and running again within that 20 minutes. i would say if this is your first, set aside a whole weekend if you have all the parts, and plan on working on it on Sunday, even though you'll probably really get it done on Saturday.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 31986
order gaskets from summit youl have them in 2 days
orangeamcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 29534
Mail order for EVERYTHING...that's what I ALWAYS do. Cheaper than my local parts houses, and I usually get the parts sooner. Since you're in TX, Scroggin-Dickey probably can get the stuff in a day or two. their website is:
http://www.sdpc2000.com
Of course, there's always Summit and Jeg's...
If you're in a hurt for them right away, go to a chevy dealer. You'll pay $$$, but they usually have gaskets in stock.
sewerzuk is offline   Reply With Quote