Lubrication SM265/205 and hydro clutch line.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8133
Lubrication SM265/205 and hydro clutch line..

So what should I run in my manual tranny and 205? Ive seen some GM synthetic stuff, and ran it in my 2wd tranny without issue should I try this or should I just do the 90W thing?

Anyone ever make there own hydro clutch line? Chevy dealer gets 70 bucks for the line I need and Im not even interested in payin that for one. Are the ends on that similar/same as brake lines?
LCQ / KOH 09 Co-Driver #62
Midwestwheeler / Hardline Custom
Pdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 15668
We've Been Running 85 Or 85/90 Since '71, 138,000 Plus Miles, No Problem
grljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2004, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 34756
For the 205, my repro '71 IH Truck Service Manual for my TravelAll w/205 (divorced) states:

"Special Lubrication requirements:

Fill the transfer case with SAE-75 straight mineral oil where unit is subjected to temperatures consistently below 0F or where parked vehicles are exposed to unusual cold for long periods. Where temperatures are consistently above 90F (unusually hot), fill case with SAE-140 straight mineral oil."

Better oils are offered now. I throw in Redline's MT90 that is like mineral oil. Works good in my manual trans, too, because Redline designed it to work right with the synchronizers. Not too slippy, not too thick. The "MT" stands for Manual Trans. Can't say if it's any better than other synthetics.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 26894
Send a message via ICQ to Smash-K20
I use Synthetic, but only because I do alot of water crossings and the synthetic will not break down as bad if water made it's way into my case. if your not worried about water then I would'nt bother with the synthetic.
The hydro clutch line, I have seen people make them up from break lines with the proper double flaring tool before, but I don't recommend it as the steel line does'nt like the constant flexing that it will receive offroad. You might be able to get a good flexable one made for less than $70 at a hydralics shop. Mine cost me about $35 and is twice as heavy as the OEM one.

[QUOTE=Entropy]Please, Rip isn't big enough to make me mumble. I could sing the Star Spangled Banner without a skip sucking Rip's dick.[/QUOTE]
Smash-K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
the hydro line is a metric bubble flare
good luck
mj is offline   Reply With Quote