Redneck mud truck project - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 30881
Send a message via MSN to NastyGMC
Redneck mud truck project

Well here's what i been working on.
Just figured id share, plus i have a few questions i need to ask later on.
In the pics you'll see a 5.5" rear lift block, dont worry this is temporary.
I'm totally redoing this truck. Im putting a 454 in it, sm465, np208, i alredy have the ff14b in and the tires on it. I have a new hood, new doors, new front fenders, and cab corners. I need a set of rockers and a box for it.
I hope i dont get bashed cause I dont wheel rocks.. yes its getting a new paint job, but this truck will get used. There are no rocks around here for me to crawl so i mud and bust through snow.. anyway heres the pics.

here is the 454

as it currently sits

"Behold the pale horse. The man on it was death. And hell followed with him..."
NastyGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8133
Mud truck....LOL with those tires........ DUDE.....
LCQ / KOH 09 Co-Driver #62
Midwestwheeler / Hardline Custom
Pdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2005, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaddy
i second that DUDE and add a WTF?
pbmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 17825
Quote:

almost as bad as putting a 44 under a fulllsize to play with
muddobber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
The tires are an easy fix. Once the SM465 is in there though, that's not as simple. Mud trucks have automatic trannies - PERIOD

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15404
They would probubly work well in the snow...but not in the mud. You know SD has some great rock crawling in the rapid city area don't you? You must be in the eastern side of the state.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 40636
I see some pussy under the truck
SmashedS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17147
looks like a good project, i wheel with a guy with almost the same truck (hes got a sbc) the sm465 works great for him and we wheel mainly in the mud, infact ill probably be switching to a 465 in my sammy from a built th350 if that says anything, id just be alittle concerned with the 208, i would find a 205 then go have fun, many on here will make fun of us mud guys but hey we wheel where we have available right?? plus most that will knock a thread on here are just web wheelers, looks like a fun truck keep us updated on how she comes along

joe

Psalm 40:2
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

Isiah 29:13
junkyard joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard joe
ill probably be switching to a 465 in my sammy from a built th350 if that says anything,
It says you haven't spent enough time in the mud to know better

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
www.svrehorsepower.com
Old 01-21-2005, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8133
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddobber40
almost as bad as putting a 44 under a fulllsize to play with
Hey dammit I have a d44 in the front of my fullsize....

(with chromoly shafts and CTMs... )
Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 30881
Yeah, i figured id get commented on the tires.
No the tires arent that good in the mud. I had a set of 38" TSLs and they were much better but these will throw mud too. The main reason i like these tires is because they are snow monsters. I dont plan on doing mud drags until i get a set of TSLs or boggers until then these will do. Right now theres about 4-6 inches of snow on the ground and i wishi had it done to play. I had these on the same truck about a year ago then i stripped it out and sold everything but the motor and tires, and i had broken my front driveshaft but i was out playin in the snow and i got stuck in a snowbank along the highway ditch, my rear fenders were hitting snow. It was fucking deep. I put it in reverse, dug down, put it back in D and poured the coals to it and these tires crawled right out. I dont think many people realize what these tires can do. I was sure surprised. If i ever buy a new set of tires, they are guna be Denman Ground Hawgs or another set of STS.
If you think these tires are shitty in snow, bring your TSLs or boggers up and we'll see. Iv owned these and the TSLs and the TSLs wont even compare.

Tex- I am sick of auto trannys. i cannot find one that will hold up to my abuse. I smoked a TH400 transmission that i had dumped about $700 into within 6 months.
I have been to the SDMRA mud drags and a good friend of mine ran with a manual in a CJ7 jeep and he whooped ass. I think he placed 2nd overall.

rcurrier44- Yes, i know the black hills are filled. And yes, i live in the far east. We have some hills around here but there are no rocks in them, just small mud pits. I would have to trailer a long ways away to go rock crawling.

Thanks junkyard joe. I see you are from Green Bay. I have a lot of friends in Wisconsin that come out pheasant hunting and i'v been to Green Bay to a Packers game. Most of our friends are from the Wausau and Eagle River area.

I had to assemble the rear leaf springs, it previously had a 4 inch block with an addaleaf and when i took that off i cut the spring bolt and they fell out of place.

I bet im a poser because i painted my diffential cover too!

Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8133
Im not into mud but have been in it plenty to agree Tex.... even if I had a manual the last one Id chose is a slow shifting ass Sm465 with the 3 foot of throw between gears!! You gotta have the RPMS high and the wheels turning fast to do that mud stuff.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8133
and Im just flippin you shit dude....Im sure YOU will enjoy your truck plenty its just not the typical rig that we like to check out on PBB so you will catch shit regardless, its all in fun.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 17147
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX
It says you haven't spent enough time in the mud to know better

TEX

well i would appreciate a good schooling on why a slush box is better for me in the mud than a manual, my main reasons for considering a swap is:

1 dosnt automaticaly destroy the tranny if you sink your truck (under water)
2 typicaly i hold the tranny in one gear for the big mud holes anyway (@WOT)
3 can pull start the vehicle when the starter gets full of mud and will not start the truck

these may be basic but for out on the trail they seem to be winning me over, now for a mud bogg truck the scene may be diff,

an explanation of your veiw would be appreciated

joe

Psalm 40:2
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

Isiah 29:13
junkyard joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyGMC
Tex- I am sick of auto trannys. i cannot find one that will hold up to my abuse. I smoked a TH400 transmission that i had dumped about $700 into within 6 months.
I have been to the SDMRA mud drags and a good friend of mine ran with a manual in a CJ7 jeep and he whooped ass. I think he placed 2nd overall.
Had one in my comp mud rig too, and even for the bogs it was a handicap. Ran drags one time with it & even starting off in the tallest gear I could use to get rolling, I was out of RPM's by 1/2 track. Got thumped by a bunch of guys with less power & more weight. And as far as the reliability, I haven't had your bad luck with auto trannies, but I did go through my fair share of clutches when I had the stick. You're either gonna burn up converters or clutches, so it's 6 one way 1/2 a dozen the other.

As for Junkyard Joe's problems, again haven't had any more reliability issues on my play truck with autos than I did when I ran a stick, and the ability to shift can come in handy. The pull-start option is about the only real arguement in favor of a stick IMO. I've certainly seen my share of starters go bye-bye.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
www.svrehorsepower.com
Old 01-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
I have ran both in the mud and I will never go back to a stick there. My tow rig has one, the farm truck has one, but the mud trucks and hill climbers and rock crawlers are slushbox creatures. True, you can dump the clutch in whatever gear you plan to be in, but if you run out of revs you are screwed and if you pick too tall for the situation, you are screwed. No reverse wheel speed. Some might say that reverse is overrated, but I call bullshit. I have driven into several spots and then said "oh shit and had to back out. It is nicer to have some wheel speed and keep shit cleaned out.
I ran the 465/205 and 36 tsl's for about 3 yrs and the only time I liked it was when the engine I had in it was so weak that I needed that extra rev and dump to get everything moving like it needed to. Other than that, even with burning up a few a year and breaking cases I still prefer the autos. I know it is personal preference and it really boils down to your wheeling style. In the mud I think autos are king, you don't crawl mud
Your ORI strut dealer along with about anyting else you need!
team Nasty co dog
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Sorry about ranting on the hijack
Big blocks, big tires and a clutch getting let go = not good for a little front end. Just sayin.
I ran one for a long time with a moderate small block and was changing axles every weekend.
I love old chevys and ran both of mine until there was nothing left. Go for it, it is a blast. You might learn and put an auto in it after a while though (re-end hijack)
team Nasty co dog
Old 01-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 19031
Send a message via ICQ to gottagofast Send a message via AIM to gottagofast Send a message via Yahoo to gottagofast
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyGMC

I bet im a poser because i painted my diffential cover too!

Nooooo, you painted your diff cover because you are a poser!

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567624"]My build thread[/URL]
Killed the S-10 n2 jeeps now
gottagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 30881
Whatever you say man. I had the cover off because of work i was doing on it, and i had some Case IH paint laying around (which is wierd cause we run a john deere farm) so i figured what the hey.

BlackSheep10- I can get d44's so cheap around here, its ridiculous. The d44 is only temporary. I have had my eye out for a dana 60 for quite some time. I'v ran across a few but im not guna pay $1000 for them. As soon as i see a 1 ton for sale or come across a junkyard with one for cheap, i'll keep tossing d44s in. I have 3 of them sitting in my barn right now.

In my defense, like i said before. I am sick of auto trannys. I have gone through so many auto trannys and dumped so much $ into them than i'd care to count. I'm trying something different. If i decide that i dont like the manual, i'll switch back to an auto. I plan on keeping my steering column for that very reason. Thanks for the compliments so far.

Tonight i dropped the 1 gas tank i had. The other was rusted out. This is where i need help. I am comfortable with running hte factory dual tanks they were designed for, but if i were to buy a custom fuel cell, where could i mount it? besides inside the box? I'm looking for ideas here, if i decide to go with the saddle tanks i'm going to order new fuel senders on monday. Has anyone put a custom fuel cell in? If so where?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 21969
Send a message via Yahoo to griffon19
In the bed...

But the idea is to drop it down through the bed sometime so it is half above and half below and build a tool box above it. In the bed isnt too bad but id recomend a wider and flat one if you do go that route.

Last edited by griffon19; 01-22-2005 at 08:45 AM.
griffon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
On my last one ('80 chevy 1 ton) I took a blazer tank and put it below the bed between the rails up against the cab. It just cleared the rear shaft with no lift and held a bunch of fuel. I never had a bit of trouble with it. I actually got it from muddobber40 (who posted earlier in this thread) along with his flatbed. He could tell you the exact application. A cell could be put in the same place. The cell won't be as puncture resistant as the tank unless you skidplate it, but that would help with the retention anyway. I would suggest you PMing him and asking what it was out of, it is the ticket, and cheap
team Nasty co dog
Old 01-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 30881
Thanks blacksheep. Did you just use longer hose and mount the filler neck in the original door on the fender? Do you have any pics of it?

Old 01-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 30881
I have a couple other questions...

In that pic, my voltemeter guage is missing one of them clips. The guage plugs into the clips. My question is what is connected to the clips? Can i just get a clip to replace it? or is there something on the backside of the clip that reads the guage?

If i decide to go with the saddle tanks I'll have to use this plug in.

If you look close you can see one wire that goes up towards my thumb, where the heck does that go? It comes out of the plug but i cant see where it goes anywhere? Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 04:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 19031
Send a message via ICQ to gottagofast Send a message via AIM to gottagofast Send a message via Yahoo to gottagofast
I would not recomend putting it over the d-shaft but if you do make sure your bumpstops will keep the shaft out of the tank att full comp AND put safety hoops on both ends of the shaft ....... or just pray alot

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567624"]My build thread[/URL]
Old 01-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 19031
A volt meter only has 2 connections .... positive and negative