intake mainfold gasket on small block chevy? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18555
Send a message via AIM to sandusk
intake mainfold gasket on small block chevy?

So i bought a pretty low milage used crate motor, your standard old style carbureted 350. anyway, before i put it in my jeep i put all new gaskets in it, and now the intake manifold gasket is leaking like crazy. the jeep is back home in my garage on the other side of the state. i am off at school, so i am trying to get an idea of what happened before i head home this weekend to figure it out.
Anyway, oil is leaking like crazy from what looks like the back of the block right underneith where the ditributor bolts to the intake. i was in a hurry so i didnt have time to narrow it down much more then that. I remember the gasket set i got came with rubber peices for the front and the rear part of the intake manifold seal. do these normally fail so soon? i have only driven it about a hundred miles since i swapped it all.

On a side note... what is the point of those metal coolant flow reducer peices that came with the gasket set? I got mixed opinions on if i should use them or not, so i ended up puting them in. could that be screwing anything up? what is the point of those things anyway?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 28084
I bet its the rubber gasket that goes between the block and the intake.. They hardly ever seal so most people don't use em. At least I never do. Just use a thick bead of RTV or something similiar instead of the gasket.

No idea what the water passage plates are for? I never use those either. I see no reason to restrict coolant flow for any reason.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 19728
the block off plates are to limit the flow if you have heater outlet at the back of the intake. the cross over in the front should be open. the gaskets should be glued in place(I use trm adhesive) then I shoot a bead of silicone at the ends.

I throw the supplied "rubber" bits away.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 37154
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Orion
I bet its the rubber gasket that goes between the block and the intake.. They hardly ever seal so most people don't use em. At least I never do. Just use a thick bead of RTV or something similiar instead of the gasket.
What he said.
greasymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 31228
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Orion
No idea what the water passage plates are for? I never use those either. I see no reason to restrict coolant flow for any reason.

Just an observation, there is a point in restricting water some times. I ran into a problem with my race car. It was getting too hot. I found out it was because the water was circulating too fast through the radiator at high RPM and wasnt cooling. I put a restrictor plate in and it cooled much better. Theres a 99% chance that this would never apply to anything other than a 7000 rpm race motor, surely not anything we do here. It might in something like mud bogging but not rock crawling.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 37021
Send a message via AIM to Chevyboy51
get a set of fel-pro permatorque intake gaskets I think the number for a stock port size is 1205. you don't need to glue permatorque gaskets to seal them throw the little rubber end seals away they never seal use a bead of sealer instead it never leaks I like permetex right stuff.

And a note to everyone on this thread those little metal restictors are not for the coolant the are for the exhaust heat cross over that runs under the carb they are not needed but I put them in to try to keep for heating the incoming air charge as much. If you read the little brown envolope the come in it tells you that.
Chevyboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18555
thanks for the replies. i thought that the rubber end gaskets had something to do with taking up a gap that might result from milling the cylinder heads or block, i guess i was pretty far off on that one.

Will regular old RTV be sufficiant for the front and back of the intake manifold?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 19728
yep
Old 01-25-2005, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 16024
Have you checked to see if the oil pressure sending unit is in place?

That sits right at the back of the intake manifold (on the block itself) and it will definately leak oil (under full PSI) and sometimes people miss that one.

The hole needs to be plugged if it isn't - either with a sending unit or a pipe plug.

Check it out.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 19728
glfredrick brings up a good point. the sender could be leaking ...
ALSO the distributor could be leaking(where it goes in the block). It should have been installed with round flat gasket. it could have oil being pushed out around it without the gasket in place.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 16024
Yup - I've seen more of those engines leaking badly from the stuff yettiatcpg and I mentioned than from intake gaskets, unless you really botched the gasket install.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 18555
yea, i originally thought it was the sender leaking, but it was on there tight, so i ruled that out. i do have the gasket thing on the distributor, so i doubt that is leaking. i am pretty sure it just blew the rubber crap apart at the end of the manifold. it seriously leaks like a sive, leaks all down the left side of the bellhousing and onto my exhaust.
At first i actually thought it was a valve cover gasket leaking, but then i spotted all the oil on the back of the block.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 40824
My neighbor owns an engine shop and helped me rebuild mine. He says the biggest problem guys have is leaking from the rubber gaskets at the front and rear between the block and intake. I took his suggestion and laid a thick (say 3/8" continuous bead on both the front and rear. Then you must let it set for maybe 10 min. until it has a skin on it, then place the intake down level (not one side then the other). Then tighten bolts as specified (correct order, correct torque).
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 19728
if you let it "skin up" then it won't bond to the intake. we used that trick on our old drag car, that way it was easyer to tear down after the races.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
dude, depending on the type of oil sender you have, it could be leaking from that. Even is it is tight. there is no pressure galley that pushes toward the gaskets at the front and rear of the block unless one of the little alignment holes was drilled too deep (only heard of this once ever) it won't "push" oil out of these or the distributor. It will leak oil. That being said, you need to pay attention to volume of oil coming out. If it looks like you rear main is out and it is leaving a friggin puddle every time you let it sit and run, it is your oil sending unit, buy a new one.
if it is seeping and making everything ugly, sticky and leaving drops when you park, it is most likely your gasket at the rear of the intake.
Be careful on that rtv use in place of a gasket if you go that route. Make sure you don't goop a shitload on there so that some falls into the lifter valley after you torque the intake down. it can clog passages.
Your ORI strut dealer along with about anyting else you need!
team Nasty co dog
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 38337
The RTV trick is good.. however I use the Ultra copper... (orange stuff. that goes to 888 degrees...) looks funny w/ orange goop all around the seams but have never had a failure due to the sealant... the Sealant trick in my experiance works the best by using the the supplied rubber peices in conjunction w/ RTV heavily applied to both sides. thus run a bead on the top and bottom of the rubber peices, then set the intake down, like earlier stated, equally and level.. follow the specified tightening sequence for that model engine, year specific sometimes. unless your using an alluminum intake. watch really close at the corners of the rubbers, that area seldom seals rite. especially w/ an aftermarket intake or decked blocks or shaved heads. the cleaning process is crucial... any oil left on the contacting metal will result in a bad seal. carb cleaner.. or brake clean will leave a dry clean surface.
My 350 was bored and shaved, runs an edlebrock intake, Doug herbert 454#lift cam and pushes cruising RPM of 3500 on a regular basis. Ive had valve cover leaks, pan leaks, and rear seal leaks, but no intake leaks in the last 2 years since building it.
As for the little metel spacers.. Ive heard both exhaust gas stories and coolent stories.. my kit said coolant.. but I tossed em.. I knew that w/ the cam that it would be hard to cool and I wanted the water in the radiator. I installed a 160 degree thermostat and a used big 3flu rad. As of now in the summer heat of 95-100 and mild to high humidity. it runs around 190 -210 degrees. Hope all this jibberish helps. and good luck w/ it... practice makes experiance.....
wcuhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 18610
Send a message via AIM to Budru
I had the exact same problem not too long ago (heavy leak down the side of the bellhousing, back of engine block).
I checked everything described above and could not find the culpurate. Finally I figured out that it was one of the holes that are tapped in the back of the head for accessories. You know how each head has holes tapped into it so it dosnt matter if you put the head on the left or right side of the engine youll have power steering pump bracket holes on the front left and the right rear of your engine. Well I guess one of mine got tapped a little too far and oil was running out of it. Put some permatex form a gasket on a bolt and screwed it in there and now im leak free.

It took my engine six years to start leaking there... Maby its just coincidence that yours started right after your intake gasket install. Anyway its something to check if none of the other solutions mentioned alredy work.

Please report back to this thread when you do find the problem as it will help us all learn.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 18555
Man, that sounds a lot more like what i have got going on here. there is an awful lot of oil leaking out of there for just a bad seal. if i clean all the oil off of the back of the block and bellhousing with a rag, it reappears within about a minute after i start it up. i will surely give you the update when i head home this weekend to figure it out.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 18555
Just to let you guys know, i took care of it this weekend. it was the intake manifold rubber gasket, it was kinda torn up. i redid it with rtv like you guys said and all is well. thanks again for the help.