Pirate 4x4 banner

67-72 frame info

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  1967K10 
#1 ·
thinking about putting some extra 3/4 ton axles under one of my project trucks. Does anybody have a picture of the front half of the frame on a stock 67-72 4wd? is is similar to the73-87 stuff? I could definetly build my own crossmember and the like but would like this rig to be semi original feeling . any pics would be apriciated (sic)

#2 ·
The front one will bolt right in,the rear will require moving the spring pads and shock mounts.I just installed a dana 60 in my 67 K10,awsome fit.I used a 67-72 1ton rear so it was also direct bolt in.It seems that the front half is the same,the rear is slightly different.The front springs are 2-3" shorter.

#3 ·
the rear is a bolt in too if you use 3/4 ton axle. only one ton rears require moving the spring pads. my front 60 was from a 84 chebby and it bolted in..

#5 ·
I have a 62 4x4 suburban that uses the same springs and spacing as the 67-72s do. I used a 74 HD44 that bolted in, shock tabs on the axle were a touch off, but other than that it bolted in. The rear uses a 40 1/2" I think pad spacing. You could use a 1 ton 14 bolt from a 73 and newer truck, and it will bolt in, maybe u-joint and shock mods. I used a Dana 60 HD from a Ford, and that bolted in with no mods at all. Got it from a 78-79 3/4 ton heavy duty with a HP60 in the front. The light duty 3/4s used a HP44 in the front, they have a different pad spacing than the HDs. Just FYI.

#7 · (Edited)
florida4x4 said:
the rear is a bolt in too if you use 3/4 ton axle. only one ton rears require moving the spring pads. my front 60 was from a 84 chebby and it bolted in..
You have it backwards...the 67-72 1/2 and 3/4 ton rear axles will interchange, but the 67-72 1 ton and Longhorn won't. 73+ one ton 14 bolts and D70's will bolt up to a 67-72 1/2 or 3/4, but 73+ 3/4 ton 14boolts won't....lol, I can't even read what I just typed :flipoff2:

all GM front axles will interchange, though.

#10 ·
What exactly are you doing? Installing a set of 3/4 ton,73-87 axels?,what else off the newer truck.I have a mid 70's 350 sitting in my frame rails and an about to install a newer 454 in it.The old motor mounts are slightly different but you can use 73-87 ones.They are stronger.I also have a 73+ steering gear box on mine,appears to fit well.The tranny crosmember will be different on the 67 but the 68-72 use the same tranny and t-case. Wish I had a digital camera I would just shoot some pic's for you.

#12 ·
basically just wanting to know , or see a pic of the original 4x4 67-72 front frame section (from the front cab mount forward) I would like to see what it looks like just for general knowledge as i would like like the frame to be semi-original looking as far as the engine crossmember and the front crosmember and the spring hangers.have a sweet 69 lwb and have got the convert everything i own to 4wd bug. plus i cant seem to get any buyers on my 4.56 geared d44 &14FF so i'll just use them myself!!!!

#13 ·
The link I posted is bound to have a picture of what you want. The pics I had of mine went bye-bye when my computer crashed. There are two x-members in front of the cab.

#14 ·
So you want to convert your 2wd to 4wd and use the 73-87 hardware?It should work fine,I was going to do the same thing but found a 4x4.Take some measurements and start drilling holes and bolting things in place. I wouldn't change crossmembers unless you have to.Too bad I sold the extra 4x4 frame I had.The guy I sold it to was going to just swap his nice 2wd onto my 4wd frame. The spring brackets are similar,the engine crossmember is slightly different.Be sure to post some pic's when you get done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.