Transfer Case Q's - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 47848
Transfer Case Q's

Went out camping this weekend and had to put the truck in 4LO. At the end of the trail a hiker said that I maybe leaking oil. When I crawled under the truck I saw that the driver side framerail, t case cross member and gas tank had "oil" all over them. I checked the fluids and the oil level was good. The tranny fluid seemed low (I was on the flattest ground I could find plus I am using the B&M fluid which is blue and hard to see on the dipstick). I put 90% of a quart of ATF in the tranny. Four wheel drive worked, the tranny shifted fine. Where should I be checking for a leak. Everything is wet so I have to clean everything first. I replaced the ATF about a month ago and checked it twice the week after I changed it to check for leaks, everything was fine. About 2 years ago I had a leak in the seal that was between my t-case and tranny, I guess it may need replacing again? Does my transfer case take fluid from the tranny? I know each has their own drain and fill plugs.
Sorry for the unorganized post. Once I clean everything I will post back, in the meantime any pointers would be apprecitated.
Mike

1999 4Runner
4x4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 28604
I'm a bit of a newb myself around here; but if you need to ask how to tell where stuff is leaking from, you might wanna take it to the dealership and have them look at it.

It might also be helpful to include what tranny/ case set up you have. Your sig doesn't say... I/we could ASSUME a 700R4/208 since it's a '90 1/2ton, but you never know.
Rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 44208
i would take it to a self car wash and take engine parts cleaner then presure wash the area so its clean. that way you can preety esily pinpoint the leak. a np 208 takes atf so its not oil. you may have a oil leak thats traveling all the way down there mine has done that like a stream of oil spreads all the way down there. good luck finding it
k5krushert1 is offline   Reply With Quote