Had to get towed - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 37724
Had to get towed

Had to get towed
Hey guys,

I drove my 1994 Chevy Silverado 2500 Extended Cab Shortbed to work yesterday (yes, work on Saturday) with a 1996 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 in tow on a 2300lb trailer. The commute was a short 2-3 miles and everything went fine. After working in the machine shop (as general help) all day, I came out to try and fire up the truck and drive home with the trailer and Tahoe.

Side note: My truck has 170k on original engine and transmission and I have to crank for 2-3 full seconds for the engine to catch and start up.

This time, however, the truck never caught. It just cranked for fifteen seconds until I turned off the ignition.

I returned this morning with a AAA Tow Truck and had my truck towed home. I got to talking with the tow truck driver and he had the idea that the problem might be the fuel pump. After towing home, he pulled out a three foot pipe and turned the keys in my truck to run but not cranking. He then wacked the fuel tank a couple of times and turned the key to start. The truck started. He said "fuel pump," I gave him some extra cash for the help and he left.

After turning the truck off, it wouldn't start again. I tried kicking the fuel tank (didn't have a pipe with me) and then cranking like the tow truck driver did. The truck made a noise unlike the regular "cranking but not starting" but still didn't start. I decided not to push my luck and to do some research first.

I just bought the truck in May with 168k on the clock so I don't know when the fuel pump was last replaced. I have "full" service records from the previous owner but nothing mentions a fuel pump in the last 100k miles. It's possible that it was replaced but a receipt was not kept, or it is possible that it in fact hasn't been done in 100k + miles.

I recently helped replaced a fuel pump on a 1998 Chevy Cheyenne 2500 Regular Cab Longbed but can't say I know the procedure very well.

Is this a repair that a weekend mechanic can do with a full set of tools? If not, how much would it cost for a shop to replace it? Anyone in the Los Angeles area willing to help me out? I'll buy you dinner and help wherever possible.

Alternatively, do you guys think that maybe something else is wrong and that the fuel pump may be just fine?

Robert
el bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5110
I'm sure it was the factory fuel pump. Get another one from GM or some place else that sells AC Delco parts. Don't get regular parts store crap. Drop the tank, replace the pump, reinstall tank. It is only hard if you have a full tank. I have heard some people say it is easier to pull off the bed.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 32727
i replaced the fuel pump in my 96k1500 scsb by dropping the tank. It wasn't that hard once i pulled all the fuel out of it. Really the only hard part was figuring out how to pull the retaining ring off the tank to get the pump out :-p
seany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38330
When you replace the pump it is also a good idea to replace the fuel pump relay with it as they can go bad around the same time as the pump. You may even want to replace it first as it is cheaper and easier than the pump. Should be on your passanger side firewall.

Conrad
1998chevy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 39602
Also check the power wire going into the tank. I have seen that wire fail due to corrosion right at the plastic elbow going into the tank. I replaced the elbow with another from a GM sending unit I had lying around, and soldered the wires up on both sides of the elbow. Definately get a Delco pump.
mountain4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 37724
Just wanted to say thanks guys. I bought a replacement fuel pump and fuel pump filter for $48.21 from my local parts supplier and did the job from lunch time until dinner time. I forgot about specifically getting an AC Delco or GM replacement pump and got an Airtex pump. I hope it'll last the 30-40k miles left in my drivetrain. I also forgot about the fuel pump relay. Anyway, after the pump and pump filter replacement, the truck starts up like a charm...or at least like a 170k miles charm.

I can't wait to call my local shop tomorrow and get a quote on what it would have cost! :-D

Thanks again,

Robert
el bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5110
The pump might last that long...might not. At least you know how to do it now and it will take you less time when you have to do it again.