More cam help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 46072
More cam help

The cam I have now has 228 degrees on the intake. I got a new cam with 222 degrees, how much of an improvement in vacuum should I see with 6 degrees difference?
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie
The cam I have now has 228 degrees on the intake. I got a new cam with 222 degrees, how much of an improvement in vacuum should I see with 6 degrees difference?
Is there a difference in LSA and exhuast? How much advance is ground into the cam and is it a roller or flat tappet. What's the number?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 46072
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys
Is there a difference in LSA and exhuast? How much advance is ground into the cam and is it a roller or flat tappet. What's the number?

Both have a 112 LSA, Im moving from a hydraulic flat tappet 228/230 to a roller 222/230.

The number is 119831

http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/Page258-265.pdf

This page tells all about it.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9991
OK, I looked it up. I think you'll see 14 lbs. of vacuum with that cam. I really think it's about the same as the one you took out.... Sorry if I'm bursting your bubble here. Did someone tell you that you would see a difference? I think your trying for 15 inches if I'm not mistaken. You might get it by playing with 26 to 28 degrees at idle and staying to lean side right at 14.7..... What type of fuel intake are you running?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 46072
Quote:
OK, I looked it up. I think you'll see 14 lbs. of vacuum with that cam. I really think it's about the same as the one you took out.... Sorry if I'm bursting your bubble here. Did someone tell you that you would see a difference? I think your trying for 15 inches if I'm not mistaken. You might get it by playing with 26 to 28 degrees at idle and staying to lean side right at 14.7..... What type of fuel intake are you running?

I realize its not that much different, 6 degrees on the intake lobe and more lift. I talked to Crane tech line, they seem convinced it will work. But I have my doubts as well. But its in my living room now, I'll probably just put itin and see what happens. Im running an Edlebrock RPM for an intake now.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9991
usually the roller have a steeper ramp. This is why a roller with ten degrees less usually runs in the same upper rpm range and is a tad bit broader than a flat tappet. I asked about your intake hoping you were injected. It's much easier to adjust timing and fuel with injection once you're setup.
Does anyone else in the sport run injection?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Does anyone else in the sport run injection?
Nope, against the rules (except for OEM or OEM equivalent).

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 46072
Interesting tid-bit of info I found out MrWilly's, running 1.6 rockers as opposed to 1.5's adds about 4 degrees of duration as well. Took me awhile to realize that, but it makes sense now
Old 10-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9991
I know your right, but I have no idea how to calculate it. I would think it would have a greater effect for a larger lobe than a smaller one. So, let's say it adds 4 degrees. That would be 2 on the intake and 2 on the exhuast? Meaning your 222@.050 is now 224? I'm sure this also would depend on ramp design also. I know this is the advantage of the hyd roller having a faster ramp. This is why if you have two cams of the same duration. One being hyd, and the other flat tappet based @.050. The flat tappet will actually have more off the seat time because of the slower ramp. This is why teh hyd roller has a broader range. More vacuum on bottom with enough duration for the top.
Does this make sense?