Pirate 4x4 banner

sbc heater hose help

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GMCTruxrule 
#1 ·
I've swapped in a sbc tbi motor (88) into my 79 CJ7. I'm confused as to what hose goes where. There's only one fitting (excluding the radiator hoses at the water pump) at the rear of the block, coming out of the intake manifold. I presume I need to run a hose from that to my heater core. Where should the other hose go (output of heater core)? There isn't another fitting on the engine and if I remember right from the donor vehicle, this other hose ran to the radiator. My new radiator only has two large fittings for the radiator hoses. Can I get a different water pump or pick up a fitting to put inplace of the plug on my existing water pump? Will it flow properly and in the right direction? Any problems with doing something like this?

#2 · (Edited)
hi,

the larger hose is for the radiator or water pump, either one

the intake one is always used, regardless

the intake one is 5/8" hose

the radiator or pump one is 3/4"

this is how you know which is which

they are two different sizes

this info is for gm applications

i dont know what jeep did though- what sizes their heater hoses are

the 70s jeep one arre probably same size as gm,

but later years who knows

the water pump fitting is common, everyone has some laying around in parts stashes

i know i do,

might even be able to find one at local hardware plumbing store, as the threads are plumbing pipe threads, sometimes it is very hard to get the fitting out, it is so corroded rusted inplace, may take some heat and oil or candle wax to get it to loosen up, heat the fitting only, not the pump

many gm vehicles in the 70s had a plug in the waterpump and used the radiator tank instead, such as 3/4 ton trucks, and some 1/2 tons with a/c and bigger engines, and so forth

was very random

good luck

#5 ·
KWTMECH said:
Back of the intake feeds the heater core and the other hose from the core would dump into the factory chevy radiator near the radiator cap.
Ok except my problem now is my radiator doesn't have a port on it for the second hose. Can I get a different water pump (need one anyways) that has a fitting on it for the line from the heater core? I think the pump I have today has a plug in it...

#7 ·
Pull the plug out of your pump, go to your auto parts store and buy a hose fitting that will screw into your pump and hook it up, it really doesn't matter which hose gets hooked up to the heater all it is a in/out kinda deal, there really is no "correct" way to hook the hoses up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.