Dead miss in a Vortec - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17146
Unhappy Dead miss in a Vortec

'98 Vortec 110K, tuneup at 90K, rotor, cap wires and those spendy GM plugs.
2K later check engine light comes on, code says miss in cyl #4, diagnosed as bad wires, replaced. 2K later, misfire in #4, diagnosed as bad plug, 10K lare same deal. Last week I can feel a miss and the light comes on, miss in #4, diagnosed as a cracked plug, today same dead miss. WTF????
Somebody said a bad injector can cause this? Anyone point me in the right direction, I'm GM stupid. I'm visiting from the Landcruiser forum FJ40.

Thanks,
Ed
TLCA #14529
Degnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 38880
These Vortec motors are natorious for this problem. GM even has a updated part for the injectors because they had so many problems. As for a bad plug several times i dont think the injector causes this, Im guessing you are checking for damage in the area of the electrode. Also if you can still hook up gm scan tool you can do an injector balance check and find out if the injector is ok. I have never had the problems with the spark plugs but i have put atleast 100 injectors in. You can replace and injector with a new part but old designe for about a 100$ or use the new updated part for about 500$. My .02$
3/4ton62gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links