Ls1 can it handle clear h2o fording? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24195
Ls1 can it handle clear h2o fording?

Does anyone out there running a LS1 z28 engine in their 4x4 have any experience with water injestion from crossing streams etc? Spray up from wheels - fan- or just your average pressure washer while cleaning rig, causing problems with the engine/Ignition/ pump seals/ pcm sensors/ alternator? You get the idea. I was thinking of converting to the all aluminum Ls1 for the reduced weight + increase inpower.I generally avoid mud, but i sometimes do clear water crossings up to 3.5 feet deep. Thanks . toyrocs
so many mods i don't know what my rig is anymore. 1998 4.3 vortec . 4l60e auto , klunev 2.72, atlas II 5.0. crawl ratio 427:1. dana60f 14b r 3 link f 4 link r firestone airbags.on boardair/welder.44"swampers, double beadlocks, full exo cage, full hydro steer.etc.
toyrocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Vortec Scout II

Member # 48545
No worse than your 4.3. I would mount the computer High amd dry and run electric fans so you can turn them off when crossin water to elminate the problem to begin with! I would also try to stop the wheels from slinging mud and water in to the engine bay by sealing the fenders with something to prevent this as well!

GM Gen III/IV V8 swap info

TECH: Gen III/IV "LS motor" to Early GM Auto Trans
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 191
mass air flow sensors do not like water..............

--Sherpa

SHERPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 54970
My buddies buggy is running one. The only problem he has is with the alternator. Being that it mounted on the bottom side of the motor. Like other's mentioned keep the computer high and dry. He also got a sand sock they run on dune buggies. That made a 100% difference, he hasn't lost an alt. since.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24195
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER"B&quot View Post
My buddies buggy is running one. The only problem he has is with the alternator. Being that it mounted on the bottom side of the motor. Like other's mentioned keep the computer high and dry. He also got a sand sock they run on dune buggies. That made a 100% difference, he hasn't lost an alt. since.
I was wondering about that low slung alternator!! What sort of "sock" are we talkin about?Shall i try to source a filter from the sand rail vendors or would Panty hose ( he, he) or mabe a motorcycle aircleaner prefilter around the whole alternator or just the alt intake area work ??? I'm running controllable air bag suspension so if the water is REAL deep, i can raise the truck straight up 14+ inches from the bump stops for those real deep spots. toyrocs
so many mods i don't know what my rig is anymore. 1998 4.3 vortec . 4l60e auto , klunev 2.72, atlas II 5.0. crawl ratio 427:1. dana60f 14b r 3 link f 4 link r firestone airbags.on boardair/welder.44"swampers, double beadlocks, full exo cage, full hydro steer.etc.

Last edited by toyrocs; 12-20-2005 at 06:35 PM.
toyrocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 54970
you can get them at a sandrail supplier. they maybe the same as a precharger for a bike. It is like the K&N mesh sock they have. It is weird you can breath thru it but the water just runs off of it. I doubt it will do anything for full submersion.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Vortec Scout II

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyrocs
I was wondering about that low slung alternator!! What sort of "sock" are we talkin about?Shall i try to source a filter from the sand rail vendors or would Panty hose ( he, he) or mabe a motorcycle aircleaner prefilter around the whole alternator or just the alt intake area work ??? I'm running controllable air bag suspension so if the water is REAL deep, i can raise the truck straight up 14+ inches from the bump stops for those real deep spots. toyrocs
Run the complete gen III truck accessories, the alt. mounts on the top, and they are a direct bolt on, but you do have to switch the complete setup. I would run the truck intake as well, it's far better for low end torque anyway.

Theres no point in dunking the whole motor the things not a submarine!

GM Gen III/IV V8 swap info

TECH: Gen III/IV "LS motor" to Early GM Auto Trans
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote