SM465 Clutch Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11176
SM465 Clutch Questions

So I'm getting ready to put my clutch in and I've been searching/reading all the debate about diaphram versus lever type, 11" or 12", and so on.

1. Whats the deal with 11",11.5",11 3/4", 11 7/8", 12"? Why are there all these sizes available when all I really want is the 12"?

2. Is it true that the 11" through 12" clutches both use the same flywheel (168tooth), or even just the 11" and the 12"?

3. What is the better the Borg & Beck lever style or the diaphram style? I hear the Borg/Beck is alot harder to push in, does that mean that it has more gripping power?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11176
anyone
Old 12-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24747
Joe,

I just replaced the clutch combo in my Chevy 4x4. I just measured the old disc-it was 11" and no way could I have put a 12" clutch combo on the 168 tooth flywheel. It would have required a different bolt pattern. maybe the 1 ton models had 12" from the factory. I can tell you this-the clutch is behind a built 454 and never slipped. I use new assemblies after many years ago I used a rebuilt from Kragen and the pressure plate was so out of balance it would shake the fleas off yah. At any rate the clutches have been the diaphragm units. In my big block Corvette I had a 3000 pound Borg and Beck-man that was miserable especially in traffic. Eventually pulled it and went to the diaphragm-much more easier and never slipped. Had 12" tires and posi-would light them up-did break a slip yoke one night-but clutch never slipped. In case yer wondering why the latest clutch change-I was fixing oil leaks in the SM465 and transfer case-so replaced the clutch assembly. It had been in there for 10 years and only mic'd out .030 in thickness less than the new one. Anyway that is my experience.
Backncardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 64225
I put an sm465 behind my 383 stroker. I had a turbo 350 before. I could not find a flywheel that was externally balanced for the 400 crank so I went to napa and got a flywheel for a 400 sbc externally balanced. If you look at the part numbers all the flywheels on a fullsize chevy are the same diameter and I run a 12" centerforce dual friction clutch. It fits on fine. I would highly recommend this clutch because it has incredible clamping pressure and is extremely easy to push in. I run 35's with 4.10's and about 450 hp. never slipped or had a problem. In regards to diaphragm or beck style clutch, definitely diaphragm in my opinion. My dad has a 97 chevy 4x4 5 spd hydraulic clucth and I can barely tell any difference in pedal pressure between the two.
my .02
monsterchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backncardr
I just measured the old disc-it was 11" and no way could I have put a 12" clutch combo on the 168 tooth flywheel. It would have required a different bolt pattern. maybe the 1 ton models had 12" from the factory.
I've had no trouble putting a 12" clutch in place of an 11" on a 168 tooth flywheel.

I use a plane-jane OE clutch and it works fantastic. IMO fancy Centerforce clutches are a waste of $$$.