Need a fuel pump thats works - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 55996
Need a fuel pump thats works

I have been putting fuel pumps in my 97 chevy tahoe like crazy, like 5 of them now. Does anyone now of a frame mounted one that might last. I have heard of the e2000. Will this work on a stock tahoe. Has anyone used one and what else do I need to put one on. Will it hook up to the stock fuel lines, and how about wiring. I realize the stock plug wont work and I will have to cut the fuel line, but i'm sure there is some type of fittings or something i'll need. One more thing do you have to take the pump out of the tank or can I leave the piece of S--- in there. Thanx
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16419
Send a message via ICQ to willyswanter
Which pumps are you using? The factory ones from the dealer last the longest. I got around 120k out of my first one and I'm at 170k now with the 2nd... If your getting pumps from autozone or kragen then theres your problem.

As far as an aftermarket frame mount, GM uses the same fittings on there fuel system that they use on there steering system, the metric o-ring fittings. You can get the 14 and 16 mm adapter fittings that go to a -6 AN line that you can hook to your pump. Earls and Russel both make the adapters and then you just need the pipe thread to An adapters on the pump or get a racing style pump with AN fittings already on it.

But I'd stay with a stock pump and stop running it real low on fuel if you are. Fill up at a 1/4 tank or more.

R.I.P. DOZER
We'll miss you Noel

Added by PBB: RIP Jason, we already miss you.
www.jasonpaynememorial.com
willyswanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 55996
I never let my tank get below half and I was getting the pumps from car quest,the last 3 the first one was stock the second one was gm also thats wy I tried another brand.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 54549
try to get someone to do an amp draw on the pump to figure out the problem. a weak relay or crappy ground kills these things quickly. fix the cause, be happy

Sky high!
s1037s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 39602
I agree. Get a stock Delco pump from GM, and test your electrical system. Also, make sure your tank is clean inside.
mountain4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 64608
yeah like the previous posts on here its better to get a OEM fuel pump to replace the one thats going out... they used AC Delco fuel pumps stock... had the same problem with a truck at work (92 chevy k2500).... kept on changing fuel pumps in it every 20-30k miles then finally my boss decided to put up the extra money for a AC Delco and it has lasted 70k so far and its still goin... and as for your question about splicing in an inline pump on the line i can say from experience that wont work because the inline pump wont be able to suck the gas through the pump in the tank.... tried that on my boss's work truck also ;-) either way good luck
4x4bowtiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Vortec Scout II

Member # 48545
I would change the fuel filter more often. I change mine at least every 5000 miles. And buy the delco pump it should have a life time warranty. And is best one for those trucks I have found. I went though a number of the parts store pumps before switcing to the delco. Also I have found that cleaning the tank out and changing the filter out more often will end most fuel pump problems.

GM Gen III/IV V8 swap info

TECH: Gen III/IV "LS motor" to Early GM Auto Trans
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 55996
Ok I have a new problem I put the tahoe in the garage and left it sit over night the next day it started fine. I think something is getting moisture in it. I just replaced plugs, cap and rotor and wires. Any ideas what eles it could be. Had a friend say it could be the main computer
Old 01-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 13786
The module triggers the pump relay when you start cranking. Oh yea, what every one else said, FACTORY pump. I won't install anything else, regardless of the type of car, they always get a FACTORY pump. No comebacks. A little extra up front, but worth it in the long run, unless you like dropping the fuel tank all the time. With a factory pump, if it still has no fuel, there lies a problem in another area.
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 54093
I run a Delco now and it works great. My neighbor works for GM and said if your pump stops spinning it is more than likely a small rock or something and usually if you hit the bottom of the tank with something it usually frees it up. that worked for the last pump i had.
Cherokee #4676
  • CV Industrial
TIG_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote