700r4 tranny 2wd vs 4wd What is the difference? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 57186
700r4 tranny 2wd vs 4wd What is the difference?

Found a 93' S10 Blazer for $250 and a towing yard. V6 Vortex with auto tranny 2wd. This is for the complete car that has been totaled by the insurance company. Motor turns over just has body damage. I want to take the Motor and tranny out and put it in my Jeep CJ7. Only problem is the tranny is a 2wd and I hear they will not work it trying to add a transfer case to it.

Can I swap out parts on the tranny so it will accept a transfer case?

If so what would need to be done and how much would it typically cost?

Thanks,
Jeff
jduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 78077
i was thinking about recommending a divorced transfer case, but not sure how much length it add and your putting it in a short vehicle anyhway.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 64817
The output shaft needs to be swapped out because the 2wd one is too long. That requires completely tearing down the tranny. Otherwise, the case is the same after you unbolt the output housing. If you decide to do the divorced mount with a super short driveshaft from the tranny to the t-case, let me know. I've got that whole system set up on my shop floor with a 700r4, the 9 inch driveshaft, and a Ford NP-205. I'd sell the whole package for $150, but shipping would be a bugger going to Cali. I built the whole thing, then changed my mind and went with the more traditional 4x4 tranny w/231 t-case before I even started the motor... The divorce mounted 205 with driveshaft ended up being about 10 inches longer than what I have now.
AERONUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14569
Send a message via Yahoo to juniordawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by AERONUTT
The output shaft needs to be swapped out because the 2wd one is too long. That requires completely tearing down the tranny. Otherwise, the case is the same after you unbolt the output housing. If you decide to do the divorced mount with a super short driveshaft from the tranny to the t-case, let me know. I've got that whole system set up on my shop floor with a 700r4, the 9 inch driveshaft, and a Ford NP-205. I'd sell the whole package for $150, but shipping would be a bugger going to Cali. I built the whole thing, then changed my mind and went with the more traditional 4x4 tranny w/231 t-case before I even started the motor... The divorce mounted 205 with driveshaft ended up being about 10 inches longer than what I have now.
Where are you located, zip code? Thanks.

Last edited by juniordawg; 10-26-2006 at 04:35 PM.
juniordawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 79736
cases are different:2wd has stamped inspection, 4wd has stronger cast cover which is significantly stronger and had 2 braces originally in 4wd s10
pickupmn172000 is offline   Reply With Quote