Pirate 4x4 banner

The dana 70 thread

536K views 739 replies 248 participants last post by  cj8scrambld 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the 70 bible. I don't claim to be the be-all, end-all, expert on these, although I have learned quite a bit about them while assembling this. If you have good info to share, post it up. If you want to know what version of the 70 you have, read this and look for yourself.

I want to add more info about the Super 70 (the 70-1SU?) to this, if you have any or know where to find any good info, please share with the class.

Identification...

The 70 uses (basically) the same cover as a 60 (everyone knows how to spot a 60 right?). The bolt pattern is the same and for all practical purposes the covers are interchangeable. As far as I know the easiest way to tell a 70 from a 60 is the lip on the bottom of the pumpkin. Most stock 70 covers will cover all the way to the bottom of the 70 housing, but the mounting lip is about 1/2" wider than a 60. With a 60 cover on a 70, the thicker lip is very obvious, but with the stocker you may have to look closer.

There are a lot of different versions of the 70, for the most part the parts are pretty interchangeable between them. They came in trucks, vans, and industrial equipment in a wide variety of widths, with bolt patterns ranging from heavy duty 6 lug, the standard 8x6.5”, and up to 10 lug, and have several different spline counts available. Almost all of them are 8 lug, with 35 spline or 32 spline shafts.

The tubes are fatter than a 60, and thicker than a 14 bolt. My 70-B uses 3-9/16" tubes (a 60 front or rear is typically 3-1/8"). The 70-HD has 4" tubes. Tube thickness seems to be ½” on pretty much all of them. The tapered down sections are rolled smaller, so the wall gets thicker in these sections.

Here is a pic of a 70-B, showing both the lip on the bottom (that is a high pinion 60 cover on it), the lip on the top, and the taper down on the tubes (note that I cut the stock brake flanges off). The wider lips are not normally so obvious, because factory 70 covers have wider flanges, so look closely when your axle hunting.

The lip on the bottom can be shaved down for the same ground clearance as a 60. I reccomend using a saw to remove most of the material, then finishing it out with a grinder.

Here's a better view of the taper down...

Variations...

There are several versions of the 70:

*70 (.500" pinion offset, used from late 1950's to '71 according to dana) these would likely have the lower spline counts, least desirable
*70-B (.625" offset, '71-82) Probably the most common version. Generally 35 spline, but checking is the only sure way.
*70-U (.625" offset, '82+) There seems to be less of these than the 70-B. Known as the "Teardrop 70" because of it's smooth underside. Shares all bearings with the 60
*70-2U (unknown offset) same pinion and carrier bearings as U, but big wheel bearings.
*70-HD (.625" offset, '68+) These come in big trucks, lots of them out there but many in weird widths.
*70-3HD (.969" offset, '87+) Out of newer trucks, not a lot of low gears available for these ones.
*70-High Pinion (unkown offset, 2000ish+ Kodiak/Top Kick K4500/K5500 fronts) 10 lug high pinion 70, with 1550 joints (a 60 uses 1480) 5.13 gears are the only ones available for these axles.
*70-1SU (.625” offset) Super 70. Little info available, Dana lists only available ratios as 4.10 and 4.56. Teardrop housing and HD tubes and outers.

Often the variation will be cast into the housing, but not always, and in the case of the 3HD, it may be labeled as 2HD according to rocklobster87. The only way to know for sure is to check the BOM number. It is a 6 digit number, typically starting with a 6, stamped into the axle tube just to the right of the diff, when looking at the cover. Go to www2.dana.com and look it up to see what you’ve got.

The 70-U uses a smaller pinion bearing than any of the others (the same as a 60) All the others use the same inner pinion bearing. Carrier bearings and outer pinion bearing are the same as a 60. Wheel bearings vary, and can range from the same part numbers as 60’s and 14 bolts, to bigger.

The carrier bearings on the 70, 70-B and 70-U are all the same size (same bearings as a 60 carrier). The HD carrier is .125” narrower than the others, and can be use in the other 70’s with the addition of a 1/8” spacer. This leads me to assume that a normal 70 carrier won’t fit in a HD.

Because of the different pinion offsets available, it’s important to know exactly what you have when looking for gears and carriers.

If there are other ways to distinguish the variations with visual checks, post up what you know and pics if you can so we can make this as complete as possible.

Differences and similarities with the 60...

The std 70 uses some of the same bearings as the 60, the outer pinion bearing is the same one (splines and seals are also the same as a 60, so yokes are totally interchangeable), but the inner pinion bearing is significantly bigger. The carrier bearings are the same as a 60 also.

The inner wheel bearings are bigger than a 60, but the outers are the same. Here is a pic of a 4.10 pinion out of a 60 and one out of a 70. The bearing in front of each pinion is the inner wheel bearing. Which is the 60 and which is the 70 is pretty obvious.

Here's another view...

Shafts...

There are also different axle shaft spline counts available. The 35 spline is the most desirable (and I believe the most common too). Off the top of my head, here's the list, 16(?), 23, 30, 32 and 35 spline. Can anyone confirm these, I'm like 80% sure about those #'s.

Donor vehicles...

There are just about a million different applications that came with Dana 70 axles. There are too many to make a useful list. There are links to Dana's backdoor website below that list most of the applications. There is a ton of info in them, so make sure you're in a comfortable chair if you choose to navigate through them.

Misc info...

The ring gear diameter is 10.5"
The 35 spline versions are the same spline as the 35 spline 60’s and 9 inches we are all used to
The pinion nut requires a 1-5/16” thin wall socket, and should not be torqued beyond 300 lb/ft
The axle shaft flanges are typically larger than 14b and 60’s, and often use tapered cone washers on studs :smokin:
The oil capacity is about 3 quarts, Dana recommends 80w90 gear oil
The housing is ductile iron (a high quality type of cast iron)
The input torque rating is 7000 lb/ft max, 1750 lb/ft continuous for most (all?) versions from what I have gathered, the main differences are in the GVW rating.
Swapping SRW hubs on a DRW housing will make the axle effectively wider, not narrower.
Disk brake swaps are pretty much just as straightforward as they are on a 60. ¾ ton GM D44/10bolt front rotors, and the common 7-1/16” GM calipers.

Helpful Links

Dana BOM lookup page
Dana 70 Maintenance Guide
Dana 60/70 Powr-Lok LSD Service Manual
Dana Ring and Pinion Pattern guide
Dana shim kits
Ford application guide 1995-2005 (70 info p.34 to p.39)
Dodge application guide 1999-2001 (70 info p.40 to p.44)
Dana axle application/BOM guide 1979-1998 (all models, not just 70)
Dana axle application/BOM guide 1967-1978 (all models, not just 70)
Dana Light Axle General Information Guide, about a million applications and their BOMs (for all models, not just 70), from 1979-2005)

I'm planning on updating this post with anything you guys have to add, since it's missing more info than it has. It should make a pretty handy reference for all us 70 fans.

-Redd

Attachments

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
I am not really sure what the inner and outer dim. are for the 70, but I can check on that tomarrow.. I still have a small peice of the 70 axle tube left so I can measure it for you. I for got to add, that when I made the spring perches, that I cut some if the webbing out on the pass. side and welded it to the cast part of the axle.

On the driver side I just added for the thickness of the casting when I cut the notch to fit over the driver side axle tube. I will take a picture of under the truck to better show it better.. and thanks. Wade

#32 ·
#300 · (Edited)
I've been meaning to update this thread forever, so here I go.

Better late than never right? I'll try to get all the new info up on the front page soon.

There is a thread on CK5 (page 4) that has pics claiming that FF 14 bolt tubes are only 1/4". Sounds wrong to me, anyone have proof otherwise?
The 14 bolts I have cut up seemed like they were about 5/16” wall weld seam tubing, but they could have just been that thick at the neck down. If he has pics and measurements, then I'll trust that.
How durable is the center section of a D70U against rocks? I ask because it seems as though the housing is thinner than a regular 70. i have only found one report of a rock bashing a hole in the housing, but it was "some guy who knew this other guy" kinda information. Also, I am planning on disc brakes and im having trouble finding rotors to fit the dana 70 hubs. I tried putting on rotors that fit the rear 60 but are too small ID to fit the 70 hubs. The rotors would have to be for 5/8" studs, as thats what size the hubs fit. What did you guys do for disc brakes? Thanks
Never heard of anyone bashing a hole in any 70 housing. For brakes most people use GM ¾ ton D44/10bolt rotors and calipers.
Does anyone know the socket size of the spindel net for a mid 70's ford 70 b?
thanks
1-5/16” thin wall.
In the fist post it said yokes are totally interchangeable. So that means a Toyota/60 yoke from High Angle would work on a 70 also?
Any yoke that fits a typical 60 will fit a typical 70. There are always freak versions that come out of the woodwork though, so anything seems possible.
does anybody know if a regular D70 carrier will work in my D70U?
Most carriers are the same width, with the exception of the 70HD, which is 1/8” narrower. However there are several different pinion offsets between the different versions. Those two should be interchangeable.

Thought I'd post up my 70-1SU. It's a very interesting axle... It came out of a D-700 dodge, and has a 70U center section, with 70HD everything else. Came stock with a 1410 yoke, 35 spline shafts, 5/8 wheel studs. Look for a bolt-on disc bracket to come out for the DRW dodge 70HDs fairly soon.
Am I correct in assuming this is the elusive Super 70 that I have heard of but never seen myself yet?
After what has been posted on here and some poking arount the net it looks like all the GM fullfloaters rears, D70 or FF14B, of this era used the same bearings. So, Timken P/N's- outer: SET38, inner: 382A (race) & 387AS (bearing). NOTE: These are the same bearings as the GM D60 front of the same era. The seals are different, though.
Thanks, added to the front page.
so are gears the same for all d70's? im lookin at some 5.86's and there is no distinction between the versions, it just says d70. is it just the carrier that is different? Ive got a 70HD.

thanks for the info
Gears are not all the same. Standard gears should fit into your HD housing though. The 70U pinion has a smaller diameter stem and uses a smaller inner pinion bearing (the same one as the 60). Also the pinion offset varies between the models, so it can get complicated.

Any time you’re buying 70 gears make sure to have all the info you can on what you have, and ask a lot of questions from the person you’re buying them from.
I have A Dana 70U and looking for A hub conversion to take it from 8 lug to 5 on 5 1/2. I saw it in the offroad mag A few years ago but don't remember the name of the company. Do any of you know the name or any other way to get A 5 on 5 1/2 on the Dana 70U. Thanks.
Good luck, the flange on most 70’s is not going to feel like letting a 5.5” bolt circle wheel over it. On 70’s that use the bigger wheel bearings (which is a lot of them, I daresay most) , it may not be possible at all, although I don’t know for sure. A 60 hub that has 5x5.5” would fit your 70U though.

There is also a really good chance you would need new axles with a smaller flange pattern. If I were you I would be looking at 8 lug wheels instead of 5 lug hubs.
Are the D70-3HD's stamped with the "70-3hd" or are they just stamped "70HD" like the other HD's?
I don’t know. Anyone have the answer on this one?
ive seen a few 70s that were 70-3hd's according to the bom#, but had 70-2HD cast into the center.
Thanks. Added to the front page.
any suggestions for finding list of bom numbers for d 70 U model?

I have looked for like a master list or something to find a d70 u from other models. thanks.
The BOM lists are just too extensive for me to have any interest in doing that, but if you wanna compile it…
Is there a late model D70 with a 67-68" WMS-WMS, 35 or 37 spline shafts, factory drum in hat disc brakes, that will take an ARB for 5.13 gears? :D
I can’t think of a 70 that has factory disks with internal drum P-brakes. There may be some out there, you’ll just have to go look.
Maybe 32 spline would be ok. What's the size difference between the 32 spline and 35 spline shafts? Spline diameter and at the smallest point along the shaft?
32 Spline are 1.41” at the splines, 35 splines are the standard 1.5”.
32 spline is 1.41". They are kind of a crappy design, they are over 1.5" the whole length and drop down to 1.41" at the carrier.
Do I have a Dana 70 or a 70U? Its the original axle on my 95 2500 Ram diesel with an auto trans. Has, er had 32 spline shafts originally and a Powerlok diff.
Probably a 2U. Look it up, all the tools to find out have been posted in this thread.
Look around on the webbing. Most of the Dodge diesels are D70-2U's and 32 spline. Where a D70-U out of a Dodge gas truck is 35 spline. Either will use 5/8" offset gears and a D70U master install kit.
Thanks for all the info you’ve added to this thread Wayne, I’ll add it to the front page.
I found a decent looking Van 70" for about 300 bucks?

that a good price and whats the best way to find out what model 70 that is. Guy says its out of a 2003 chevrolet van.

has factory disc brakes is one reason im looking into it.
Pull the BOM and look it up. $300 is a fair price for a drum 70, I would pay more for a disked one.
Correct, HD will work in non HD with a .125" shim. HD carriers are typically cheaper than non HD. Say Detroit, is like $20 less.
Added to the front page.
Ok now you guys can help me out. I cant for the life of me remember what goes between the spindle nut and the outer bearing. Were there washers of any kind. I only have the outer axle seals and hub nuts in my parts pile. The Dana website shows everything except the hub assembly.
There is a tabbed washer that should go there.
My 06 Chevy diesel van has the dana 70 in the rear. It's not a typical one though. It has the 10.5inch ring gear and the adjusting collars at the caps like my 14bff.
Never seen a 70 with adjusting collars for the side bearings, are you certain it’s not a AAM 10.5?
Im looking at the weird 70-3hd in the local JY ($120) for a rear axle in my tow rig project... Not a definite, could go with a 14bff and probably will, but the 70-3hd is stronger and cant find any regular HDs or Us that arent Dually... I haven't looked at the 3hd's gears, but from what I have found, they will be either 3.73 or 4.56. Those are no good to me, but if I could get 4.10s, I would run it... Any one know where in the hell I can find gears, are they even made?? I have searched the Google and found nothing... The Dana/Spicer Axle Information PDF only has the two ratios above listed and they are discontinued... Might be too much trouble but worth a shot...
3HD’s have the crappiest gear selection as far as I know, and a massive pinion offset. I would personally avoid them if possible.
I have a Dana 70S as identified in another thread in the rear of my 2006 GMC Savana Cargo Van. I'm moving forward with the project and have selected 4.10 gears. Since the van currently has 3.73's, I need to change gearing in the back. I figure I have a few options for this.

* Keep the existing axle and regear.
* Find a 4.10 version for replacement.
* Find a 14BFF in 4.10 gears.

This would be a simple answer if I was planing on keeping the open carrier, but I am not. I want to have an ARB locker in the back some day (sooner rather than later). With this in mind, I contacted ARB and asked about the application. After several email exchanges (great customer service!), they sent me a form to fill out to see if they have a carrier that will work (i.e. maybe a 70U or a 70HD version). They just don't know enough about the axle and therefore say they don't have anything.

So, I'm in a position where I have a low mileage axle with excellent brakes that I will only regear if I can get an ARB. Otherwise it's be better to swap in a 14BFF, IMO. The money saved on gears is spent on the whole axle, about a wash I think, but a lot more work.

Does anyone have a carrier from a Super 70 rear axle (or complete axle) they can measure for me? I'd like to get the form filled out and back to ARB. I also need bearing numbers. If not, I can certainly pull the cover on my axle and start measuring, but it won't be as timely as the van is driven on a regular basis, and I really don't want to be dropping the carrier right now. If so, please PM me your email address and I'll forward the ARB form on to you.

Any other Super 70 info is appreciated too!

Thanks!
Do you have a link for the thread that had the info about the “Super 70”? I have nothing on it, and it sure sounds like it belongs in this thread.
Putting srw hubs on the dually rear axle would make the wms wider not narrower.

Gus
Great thread! I have two dana 70 rear axles first is a U out of a F250 C&C and the outher is a B dulie rear axle out of a Uhaul truck. I'm thinking of putting togather a dana 70 front and have a few questions. What are the strength gains of a low pinion dana 70 over a high dana 60 in a front axle configuration? How strong is the D70 gear set when run on the coast side of the gear set compared to the high pinion D60? From what I have read the 35 spline D60 and D70 shafts are interchangeable ? so I wouldn't have to buy custom shaves for a front axle build correct? If the shafts are the same then which inner axle seal are better to run the new style on the older style? Sorry if I have missed these answers in the thread above.
I don’t know that there would be any strength gain going from a HP 60 to a LP 70, at least when driving forward, in reverse the 70 would be quite a bit stronger. That being said, I would rather have a LP 70 front diff than a HP 60.

#33 ·
Hybrid-Theory, that D70 front is way cool...excellent TECH!

More pics and specs that you could dig up would be awesome. Great addition to the site. An affordable front D70......without buying a new Kodiac (don't they have a D80 in the front?).....talk about making a frontend that will get you home and not leave you on the trail somewhere. Although, the only upgradable parts would now be the D60 outers....add the Crane, Dedenbear, or others outer parts and you'd be set....but there goes affordability! I do see that you beefed your inner C's a bit.

I will have to look to see where Northfield, VT. That would be a sweet ride to see in person.

#34 ·
Oh, U2slow posted here as well about the 14ff tubes being 1/4".....in his pics it almost looks like they could be 5/16"....dependent on the angle of the camera at the time of photo. I agree....1/4" just seems.....well, WRONG for that beefy rear! Seems odd they put the thickest shit up front and the rear of the trucks carry the weight when loaded...? I know the same fronts were used under gas and heavy diesel apps but hell....throw some 1/2" tubes towards the rear as well.

#35 ·
Thanks CJ8, I took a couple more pictures today, I was just down your way in Nov.Chester area) when we went with the Freedom Trail Riders.. Great group of people.. I didn't bring my truck but i wish i did.

Attachments

#37 ·
here ya go , just took these..

Attachments

#40 · (Edited)
Just saw this, so i thought id add to it.

Im running a D70 in my bronco. Specifically BOM 603995-16.
CHRY Model 70 REAR 1980 - 1984 D-300/400 & W-300/400

I mention it because i find it to be a very interesting axle. For starters its stamped as a B but the BOM doesnt show it as one. And speaking of the BOM, there were 16 versions of it (obviously since mine is -16) but the interesting thing i think is that if you dig around in Dana's page youll find the 2 piece carrier the HDs usually has, along with 4.88s & a detroit (the main page says P/L but if you dig far enough it mentions detroit), straight from Dana. Gears are long gone in favor of 5.13s but i still have that detroit. Also, despite being a dually, its got ~68" WMS, which is damn near a perfect match for my front axle (79 Ford D60, 69"). And of course the standard 35 spline shafts.

#41 ·
Just saw this, so i thought id add to it.
Same here

Im building up a dana 70U BOM# 605247-1
Its out of a SRW 1986 F350 (BOM says '85)
35 spline shafts. The axle tubes are 3.5" diameter but neck down to ~3.175" about an inch and a half from the brake mounting flange.

How durable is the center section of a D70U against rocks? I ask because it seems as though the housing is thinner than a regular 70. i have only found one report of a rock bashing a hole in the housing, but it was "some guy who knew this other guy" kinda information. Also, I am planning on disc brakes and im having trouble finding rotors to fit the dana 70 hubs. I tried putting on rotors that fit the rear 60 but are too small ID to fit the 70 hubs. The rotors would have to be for 5/8" studs, as thats what size the hubs fit. What did you guys do for disc brakes? Thanks

#42 ·

This is a sweet hybrid axle. I have a busted center section in a hp 60 that I have been looking to build into something usable again on the CHEAP. This may just be the ticket.

Quick question. Which end of the tubes did ya put the seal pucks in? Knuckle end? If so how will ya change the seals if needed?

Thanks for sharing!!!

#46 ·
It depends on the carrier. Some D70's have 2 pc. carriers from the factory, and these you can get a cheap detroit for. however if you have the 1 pc carrier, you need to get the full detroit, which is just an aftermarket 2 pc carrier with the insert already installed.

#47 · (Edited)
Just had these dropped off this past week to put into a S-10 truggy we are building. 70 front and hd 70 rear. The front is a closed knuckle setup, not sure if they all were or not. I thought I read that there was 2 types of axle joints too?? Both have 7.17 gears, and a detroit in the rear I know for sure. Was told there was one in the front also, but have not opened it up yet. These came from one of the local bog-in trucks. Check out the custom hi-steer :laughing: I like to read and learn all I can on whatever it is I am working on, so I appreciate threads like this.

Here is the truck it will be going under. The axles are not under it yet, but soon. The tire is there because we had to squeeze everything inside this shop. We still have a lot to do, but Reddman's S-10 build up had some definite influence on it.
I will post a build up when we have a little more done.

Stephen
:cool2:

#48 ·
You have a build thread? From what I can see it looks fawkin sweet!

Hey when you dig into that front end take lots of pics. I have heard all kinds of secondhand (read: quite possibly inaccurate) info on them and have always wanted to clear it up. What are you planning on doing for brakes up front?

#51 ·
I haven't started a build thread yet, was waiting till I got a little more along. I will try to get some good internal pics when we pull the front 70 apart. As for brakes, we told the owner of the truck that he would probably have to get a pinion brake of some kind if we cant get some axle brakes on it.

Stephen
:cool2:

#53 · (Edited)
been reasearching this thread for the past couple months, good info, good thread.

I drug a srw dana 70 rear outta the back of a 1969 dodge 1 ton 2wd drive truck that was equipped with a 6 banger and a long a$$ box (musta been 10 foot)

Got it home and to my suprise it has 35 spline shafts and 4.88 gears, gears are dated "69":D so I'm assumin this is the original axel in the truck, not trying to call anyone a liar but its looking like not all d-70's older than 1971 are 16 spline.
Axel has about a 66.5" wms-wms measurement, and also has left hand threaded wheel studs on the drivers side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.