700r4 lock up wiring.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8040
700r4 lock up wiring....

Im wiring up my 700r4 with a switch to lock up the converter. There are 3 wires coming off the tranny. Ground, sensor and switch power. Im a little confused how to wire up a toggle switch for this. anybody help me out here. A little diagram would be sweet.

Thanks boys!!
W.B

BRING IT!!!!!!!
Willysboy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
TCI

Member # 86599
Actually all you would need to do is to install a toggle swith in-line on the grounded wire and that will give you manual control over the lockup.

Scott
TCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80184
Really dumb question on my part, but need clarification,, so basically putting an inline toggle switch on the ground wire to the tranny lock out will allow one to control the lock out at will? for example ability to keep the lock out from engaging until maybe you are on the freeway doing 55 and not foreseeing stopping for an hour or two and keeping it from locking up while doing city driving?
Forced_Overtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38568
I run a painless lock-up kit in mine. It runs through your brake light indiicator so when you hit the brakes it unlocks. If you use a toggle switch and forget to hit the switch while coming to a stop it will stay locked up. I never worry about mine being locked up. Less slip means less heat.
rocknutyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
TCI

Member # 86599
Whenever you have the switch on, the computer will control the lockup just like it was programed to, but if you have a toggle switch installed and it is off, the it would have no effect on it while it is off. As far as it not unlocking when you come to a stop, if you have the switch on then the computer is controlling it so it will unlock. There are a handful of kits on the market to make it easer to control. TCI offers one that operates with the vaccum form the engine that automatically locks and unlocks when the vaccum changes and it has a manual option also.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 83929
You should check out http://www.700r4.com/
They have a good wiring diagram.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 38568
Quote:
Whenever you have the switch on, the computer will control the lockup just like it was programed to, but if you have a toggle switch installed and it is off, the it would have no effect on it while it is off.
But if your not running your lockup by a computer and the switch was just used for manual lockup then it would stay locked up if the switch was on. My lockup does not run through a computer. The painless lockup kit is a stand alone kit. It does work off your vacume pressure to lock it up but as a saftey when you hit the brakes it unlocks by way of the brake light switch.
rocknutyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
TCI

Member # 86599
Yes you are correct, if the computer taken outof the picture then the toggle switch, vaccum switch or whatever your using controls it. Except when it goes into lo gear. GM designed the valvebody so the lockup will disengage on its on when the trans downshifts into lo gear so it wouldn't stay locked up if the computer didn't unlock it.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 47390
So if my computer controls it...then whats the benefit of having a toggle switch for lockup. Seems to reason that it is still only gonna lock when the computer says too. So no need for toggle????
Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
TCI

Member # 86599
The toggle switch will allow you to turn it off whenever you want, but some applications will only lock the converter up in 4th gear and not 2nd and 3rd, and if you by-pass the computer completely, you can turn it on in those two gears also. So it just depends on what your preference is.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 77890
The following image might be a little hard to make out, but it shows how I wired in a DPDT center off switch into the wires going to the transmission that control the lock-up for the convertor. Using the three switch positions as follows: center off position -- never locked; down position -- automatically locks going into 4th and unlocks on the 4-3 shift; and up position -- manually locked in 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

hazyredeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCI View Post
The toggle switch will allow you to turn it off whenever you want, but some applications will only lock the converter up in 4th gear and not 2nd and 3rd, and if you by-pass the computer completely, you can turn it on in those two gears also. So it just depends on what your preference is.
The image on the white paper is from the guy who rebuilt my tranny and the image on yellow paper is the way I think it should be wired any body concur.now remember this is a simple on/off switch

In my application i want to turn it on when i want, manually. Having a toggle switch to turn it on on the hiway over 55 mph or so. If you forget to turn it off which I am sure I will, simply flip the switch when you notice slight bogging. I have no computer so I want manual control.

W.B

BRING IT!!!!!!!

Last edited by Willysboy2001; 02-09-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: adding pics
Willysboy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote