95 Chevy Tranny....... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 86951
95 Chevy Tranny.......

Tranny is slipping really bad in my 1995 Suburban 1500. Not to sure what tranny is in it. I believe its a 4l60-e not sure. Need help identifing. If you have any info let me know it would be helpfull so i can get my burb back on the road. Thanks alot!!!
HeavyChevy4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 343
Yep....4L60E. The "E" stands for "explodamatic".
cj8scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 54970
95 was the first year of them adding the PWM solenoid and the MLSPS switch. The MLSPS switch is on the manual linkage on the side of the trans where the rod from the column connects. The reason I am stating this is if you decide to replace and not rebuild yours.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 86951
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER"B"3 View Post
95 was the first year of them adding the PWM solenoid and the MLSPS switch. The MLSPS switch is on the manual linkage on the side of the trans where the rod from the column connects. The reason I am stating this is if you decide to replace and not rebuild yours.
I was told by the tranny shop that there was particles in the fluid and it was bein picked up in the solenoid making it start it 3rd or 4th gear. Is this the PWM solenoid? What is the MLSPS swithch? I that the electronic shiftin mechanism? Is that why an older 700r or 4l60 wont be a possible replacement? Does anyone know where i can get a used tranny in the Sacramento area that will work? I am looking at over $2000 dollars to fix when the Suburban itself is only worth $5000. Any recomendation?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 86951
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8scrambld View Post
Yep....4L60E. The "E" stands for "explodamatic".
Is there any other tranny that will work in my situation?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 33482
Labor rates must be high around there.
You can pick up a rebuilt 4L60E for $1500 from GM with a 100,000 mile warrenty around here. Install isn't too bad at least not for most on this site. You can get a less expensive rebuild from most other places. Call around. Do some web shopping too.

you can get whatever mods/upgrades you want, however I highly recommend at least a heat treated Reaction Sun Shell. The rest are optional.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 54970
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyChevy4X4 View Post
I was told by the tranny shop that there was particles in the fluid and it was bein picked up in the solenoid making it start it 3rd or 4th gear. Is this the PWM solenoid? What is the MLSPS swithch? I that the electronic shiftin mechanism? Is that why an older 700r or 4l60 wont be a possible replacement? Does anyone know where i can get a used tranny in the Sacramento area that will work? I am looking at over $2000 dollars to fix when the Suburban itself is only worth $5000. Any recomendation?
Sounds like one of the solenoids failed causing you to run in safe mode. I listed those solenoids just so you know that you need to find your year trans. 93/94 same 95 by it self, 96/97, 98 they went to removable bell housing.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 86951
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER"B"3 View Post
Sounds like one of the solenoids failed causing you to run in safe mode. I listed those solenoids just so you know that you need to find your year trans. 93/94 same 95 by it self, 96/97, 98 they went to removable bell housing.
Thanks KillerB thats what i was wonderin. Now i need to find one.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gear Head

Member # 21899
I would get the vehicle checked out by someone who has a scanner, if in fact you do have a bad shift solenoid it would be a lot cheaper and easier to replace those instead of the the whole tranny.
The shop that told you that there was particles inside the unit, did they pull the pan to find that out or was that a guess? Did they use a scanner? was there codes?
The scanner can show data steam which is computers inputs and outputs, and will tell you if the unit is in failsafe mode (3rd gear) due to electrical failure. This condition should turn on the check engine light.

If you must replace the unit I would stay away from a used one, yours was a used one before this happened.. The tranny is a weak point in this vehicle I would have it rebuilt or replaced with one that has been rebuilt and updated with the latest upgrades, also replace the torque converter with the correct one. There are several ones out there that would fit they just might have the wrong stall. Yours is probably a B29 DG.

PWM - Pulse Width Modulated - this solenoid is used to work a valve that gradually applies the torque converter clutch.

MLSPS I think he meant MLPS which stands for Manual Lever Position Sensor - this switch tells the computer which gear range you have selected and controls the reverse lights and wont let the vehicle start in any other gear other than park and neutral.

Hope this info helps you make the right decision, Good luck
JK080 is offline   Reply With Quote