sbc 350 engine oil pressure and flooding problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 77741
sbc 350 engine oil pressure and flooding problems

I have a 1974 sbc 350 with approximatly 10,000 miles on it since a rebuild. It just recently started having oil pressure problems. When I first start it I have great oil pressure, even at 600 rpm I have around 40 psi. When the engine warms up the oil pressure drops to 10 psi at 600 rpm. The oil pan is full, and I just replaced the oil pump and pick up this weekend (with a high volume/high pressure unit) without any improvement. The oil pressure responds to changes in rpm adequatly, ie when it is reved up to 1000 rpm the oil pressure will jump to 40 psi when warm but drops back at idle.
today when I went to start the engine it started for approx 10 seconds then died, no weird sounds or smoke or anything, just died. This has never happened before. For some reason the carb is getting a ton of fuel, so much fuel that it is dumping out the side of the carb and pooling on my intake (it is a holly truck avenger carb with stock mechanical fuel pump). Eventhough I was having oil pressure issues the truck was running great and idling great. I never heard any weird knocking or obvious sounds which would indicate a nonlubercated rod ect. I guess what I am worried about is that I spun a bearing on my cam which is reducing my oil pressure. Would this affect the mechanical fuel pump? is there some coorelation between these two problems? Any brain storming is greatly appreciated, Thanks
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 51243
Maybe a float stuck open on your carb and for your oil pressure, your motor is probably broken in now, and I wouldn't worry about 10 psi.
General rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpms. As long as your oil pressure increases with engine rpm, it should be fine.