12-bolt question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Chevy
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 83964
12-bolt question

i'm doing an axle swap on a jeep commando w/ 12-bolt rear. it has a limited slip/ gov lock? not sure about these and how they work. does it function as a locker or a limited slip? i'm going to be using it in rocks so, am i looking at getting a spool or different carrier and locker? also, i'm running the original 258 i-6 with auto trans (th400), how big of tires can i run without breaking axle shafts?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 83964
don't know if it matters but, it's 1/2 ton axle
Old 05-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 64748
First, I would say that a 12 bolt with that engine will be great for you other than the fact that it is a c-clip axle so if you break one, just like in your D-35, the tire and axle shaft will walk out of the axle tube.
you definatly want to stay below a 37" tire with your 12 bolt. You could probably go slighty larger with a lower HP engine but you will be risking things and changing c-clip axles on the trail is such a pain in the ass.
Depending on the gearing you use, you may want to stay with a 35. But things like that vary greatly upon driving style. If your a tech driver, I would think that a 37 would be good, if your like me...hammer down, you will eventually break an axle even with a 35" tire.
and yes, it functions like a limited slip, it is junk, it might work well for a few trail rides but eventually you will burn it out and need to replace it, your best bet would be a spool if your going to keep it as a trail rig with limited street use.
Now I am sure people will say that I am stupid for saying to stay with a 37" or smaller but when there is a doubt, it is better to be conservative with estimates like this and still make it home.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 83964
my commando actually has a d-44 rear axle--non c-clip but, i know the downfalls of c-clips when the axle shaft breaks. i was planning on running them c-clip and see how long before something breaks. that will give me an indication whether or not to go with c-clip elim kit. the 258 i'm running is 35 yrs old so, i'm not sure if h/p is an issue. either way , i'm getting rid of narrow track jeep axles and running something newer and wider--they were also free. i was hoping to run 37s so, thank you for your help. you helped in my decision there. looks like a spool also.

by the way--nice sig--the jeep thing

Last edited by commandokev; 05-10-2007 at 07:23 PM.
commandokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 32786
I commonly call a gov-loc carrier as a "gov-bomb". It is junk replace it. I believe in order to run a spool you will have to run a c-clip eliminator kit. A detroit is a great locker but is spendy for a 12 bolt and you can run your c-clip axles. You can also install and home-brew rear disc brakes with junk yard parts and that will keep the axle in the tube long enough to get to a section of the trail that will allow an axle change. I ran a 12 bolt for many years, I seemed to spin tubes instead of snapping axle shafts. I was running superiors shafts with a detroit. I think you would be fine with 37's with that motor and a light foot.

79chevyk10 everywhere else.
Save The Hammers Rally Post #314
Tellico Rally Post #20
aaronr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 88383
what ive been TOLD about those is that they take a second or two to ingage, kinda like autohubs. i just put a 14bolt in my truck that has one and a few tips i was givin was when you go in the mud give it a little bit of gas untill it locks up then hammer down. if you go into the mud and just floor that thing will slam into lock and risk breaking it. i guess ill find out
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 64748
Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
what ive been TOLD about those is that they take a second or two to ingage, kinda like autohubs.
I assume your talking about the Detriot?
Ill be honest, I have never run a detriot but what I know of them, they are the same as a spool. They are always engaged.
I have never herd of a detriot as a selectible locker so I dont know why they would take any time to engage???
But like I said, I have never run one and I have been wrong before.

But I think he was saying that he was going to be running a full spool anyway, kinda makes the detriot debate a mute point
Old 05-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 32818
Send a message via MSN to jonx4x4 Send a message via Yahoo to jonx4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by avainaffairs View Post
First, I would say that a 12 bolt with that engine will be great for you other than the fact that it is a c-clip axle so if you break one, just like in your D-35, the tire and axle shaft will walk out of the axle tube.
They make c-clip eliminator kits, but from what ive heard, they dont like side loads.

If you convert to discs(easy, any 6-lug 10-bolt kit will work), you can get a lil further down the trail(perhaps a flat hard surface where you can use your jack), but it certainly wont get you home. With a full-float, you bust an axle, remove the pieces, and you can actually drive home. Of course, provided you have a spool or something of the like.

Of course, if you were planning on doing real rough stuff, you wouldnt even be looking at a 12-bolt. So, it might suit you just fine! But then again, a 14-bolt or D60 will give ya room to grow...
Old 05-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 88383
i was talking about that factory gov loc limited slip whatever it is that comes in the 14bolt from the factory. detroits are a little to much for my beater
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote