Pirate 4x4 banner

Another chevy build

410K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  cda 
#1 · (Edited)
This is gonna start off more of an evolution thread being my truck is about done. A little back ground on how it got to where it is now.

this is about what it looked like when I got it a few years back.

fastforward thru a couple transformations and tire sizes.

always changing

the best it looked when still street legal, didnt have a digital camera back then so pics were few.

I skipped posting a lot of the mods I did to this point because they were all the normal chevy things, big bumpers, rock sliders, body lifts and normal junk like that. At this point the truck was still 1/2 ton 4" lift, 3" body lift. 38" tires.

The turning point that got me in the direction I am at now would be the tube bed. I got tired of smashing in the fender sides so I built this. It was actually 1 1/4" schedule 40 poop pipe, but worked great. Low budget was the only way I could afford to wheel.

I ran around with that bed all the way up till this year. At this point it was still a daily driver I used to get to work. Shortly after I also built an inside cage out of the same poop pipe. No pics of of that, I will have to dig thru old piles of photos.

I pulled the rock sliders for more ground clearance and before I knew about boat siding a cab I just cut the rockers off and welded some square tubing at the door opening, also cut the rusted corners out and reinforced the corners. These work good, actually still running the cab like that, simple but effective.

Never being able to leave anything alone I decide to tube the front end with the intent of leaving it street legal, I didnt own a tow rig or trailer so I didnt have any choice. So out of more poop pipe I run the cage thru the front firewall and built a pipe core support. That only lasted until I went to put sheet metal on, cause the first thing I did was narrow the front end. So a tow rig was now in order. Anyway fast forward again thru some more boring tech this is where I was at.

some beadlocks and the best upgrade I had done, a Dana 60 14bolt combo.

more to come.

See less See more
#396 · (Edited)
I am sure they need tuned. I have only played around with the pressures a little. I get some bounce like that when blasting the whoops too. The air shocks are still off the shelf adjusted. I need to pick teh brain of someone with experience with them.

edit... my winch was hooked to the rear axle so that limited droop as well, may have acted a bit different. probly would have bounced higher?

#400 ·
I am bringing my rig back to Oregon eventually and coming to play! Thats what I am talking about! I'm from Corbett Oregon.

#412 ·
dude i started ripping apart my 73 single cab shortbed today,..parts for my second crewcab shortbed build and just wanna say that if i would of seen ur build a couple of days ago i would of changed my mind... very nice check out my crewy on you tube.... youtube.com/4x4lou i got lots of ideas from you im diggin the air shox and the coils.... awesome... DIRTY LU out!!!!

#414 ·
man... you tryin for TTC again this year? If so Im gunna make sure I get a few budds to vote, if not post up somemore wheelin pics.

Not a real big fan of the dovetail beds, but yours is the exception imo. Sweet rig, cant wait to see what this years got in store for it. Keep up the good work

#416 ·
I did put in for this years TTC. We'll see if 3 years is the magic number.

Hoping to get my new bump cans ordered this weekend. I'll post up more pics as soon as I get it out again. Between the late Elk season and the kids' birthdays I haven't touched it in the last few weeks.

Thanks for all the TTC support.

#418 · (Edited)
It has 14" travel shocks in the rear and originaly I think I was running about 7" of uptravel. I play around with the pressures in the rear so sometimes it has a bit less uptravel.

Your right I have no rear bumps installed. I have a set but never got around to getting them on there. I've never noticed it bottom out when jumping. I dont have enough weight to even bottom the shock when flexing on normal obsticals. I think I remember when I was at the Rubicon and running it hard to catch back up with the group i may have heard it bottom out a couple times, but the shocks were almost to hot to touch so that was from overheating.

#420 ·
I got my bump cans replaced and reinstalled. Did a little tuning on the shocks as well. I am now sitting at 6" uptravel in the rear and 6" up travel in the front with about 1" of gap before the bump hits. I also lowered the preload clamp on the shock so it only travels an inch before only the heavier spring takes over on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.